Can we reduce the Shotgun formation?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure about you, but I'm a bit tired of the shotgun formation and how often we use it. It seems when in doubt, just use it and stay in it.

Does anyone think that being in a more traditional formation would help a back like Zeke be more effective?

I felt they may have put Dak in the shotgun formation so much because it helps him see what's coming at him.

I'm not sure KM is willing to give this up, being the so called boy genius I'm sure he can cook up something. Maybe this is where Mike steps in and says hey if I'm going out, I'm going out using my plays etc. Please give your thoughts
Stats don't support your opinion that playing too much shotgun is a problem for the running game.

The NFL average for snap under Center was 38% in 2021.
  • Top 3 RBs by rushing yards:
    • Jonathan Taylor (team in bottom half)
    • Nick Chubb (team in bottom half)
    • Najee Harris (team in bottom half)
  • Top 2 RBs by Yards/Carry that had over 800 yards:
  • Top RBs by Yards/Carry
    • Rashaad Penny 6.3
    • Jonathan Tayler 5.5
    • Nick Chubb 5.5
    • Miles Sanders 5.5
    • Tony Pollard 5.5 (The only one whose team was in the top half).

Pass2Run

Reaction score
You got some footage from these so-called 40's showing them using the shotgun?

Landry invented the shotgun and zone coverage. I'm a Cowboys fan, so I'm going to put my Cowboys first every chance I get. Because it doesn't matter to me who was the first, I credit the person that made it popular.

Like I said Mike McGill is a nobody. I had to look him up to even know who he was. Tony Hawk is the man. Just like Landry.

Why would you credit someone for an invention they didn't invent?

That sounds kind of . . . stupid.

Stats don't support your opinion that playing too much shotgun is a problem for the running game.

The NFL average for snap under Center was 38% in 2021.
  • Top 3 RBs by rushing yards:
    • Najee Harris (team in bottom half)

• Top 2 RBs by Yards/Carry that had over 800 yards:

• Top RBs by Yards/Carry
    • Rashaad Penny 6.3
    • Jonathan Tayler 5.5
    • Nick Chubb 5.5
    • Miles Sanders 5.5
    • Tony Pollard 5.5 (The only one whose team was in the top half).

Coogi is a cool guy . . . but some of us do form opinions without putting the necessary effort to form the correct ones all of the time.

I'm guilty of it. Just a lot less guilty of it much less frequently than some I've noticed. lol

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Shotgun or not what the cowboys have to correct is being able to pass or run out of the same formation. Too often opponents can watch tape and see that a high percentage of time we do 1 thing per formation. So they know basically what's coming. You have to do multiple things out of the same formations otherwise defenses have the upper hand.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I'm not sure about you, but I'm a bit tired of the shotgun formation and how often we use it. It seems when in doubt, just use it and stay in it.

Does anyone think that being in a more traditional formation would help a back like Zeke be more effective?

I felt they may have put Dak in the shotgun formation so much because it helps him see what's coming at him.

I'm not sure KM is willing to give this up, being the so called boy genius I'm sure he can cook up something. Maybe this is where Mike steps in and says hey if I'm going out, I'm going out using my plays etc. Please give your thoughts

With Smith we have a shot to run more gap runs. Biadasz is a good technician and combing with Martin definitely works. We'll see how Tyler does. He definitely has the feet and finish to pull on counters.

It also depends on how well the TE hold up. Can they come inside on whams and traps? Can they reach LB and at least seal? Can they get any push?

We seem to be trying to put together the horses to give you the power running looks you want.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
We have a 40 million dollar statue at QB. I think we should be preparing ourselves for a lot of passing out of shot gun.

Flamma

Reaction score
Troy Aikman hated the shotgun formation. It takes your eyes off the defense and have to look the ball into your hands at the snap.
Good QBs don't need the shotgun formation.
I will be sure to pass that along to Rodgers and damn near every QB playing in the NFL today

I don't think Aikman ran a single play from shotgun from '92 through '95. And this was during a time where the shotgun was very popular. Not as popular as it is now, but not running any plays from shotgun was only a Cowboys thing at the time. I highly doubt Rodgers would have a problem with it.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score

Dak needs to a few xtra seconds to process.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
1st and 20 brings out the shotgun formation, 2nd and 4 gives you better options.......