Can we sign Dak, CeeDee, and Parsons?

blueblood70

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with being cheap. It has everything to do with the salary cap.. if it wasn’t for the cap CeeDee and Dak would have been extended long ago.
Exactly but that's why the league put the salary cap in there hard salary cap..parity, it keeps saying NFL from having a top-heavy market of teams you know like baseball Yankees dodgers and others that just load up every year, not guarantee but for sure a cap like the NFL evens things out. forcing you to make tough decisions,

I mean it is why can't the Kansas City Chiefs let HILL go, they also let a couple good linebackers go couple offensive lineman, and C.Ward was that we traded to them that got big money IN SF, NOT KC they let him walk . Lots of teams have been in this situation or will be eventually especially if you draft well like us.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Wrong.

Executing a restructure in Dak's contract this year that the team had say over, not Dak, would have saved them a bunch of money against the cap. Extending CD already would save them money this year against the cap.

They don't want to pay out the cash to do it.
You can’t keep restructuring contracts because eventually that catches up with you and it has with the Cowboys. This is why they weren’t able to be active in free agency. They have a dilemma, trying to figure out how to re-sign Dak, CeeDee and Parsons.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You can’t keep restructuring contracts because eventually that catches up with you and it has with the Cowboys. This is why they weren’t able to be active in free agency. They have a dilemma, trying to figure out how to re-sign Dak, CeeDee and Parsons.
Sure. But that's not the problem right now.

Extension/restructure for Dak and a CD extension would have dropped both of their cap hits this year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Sure. But that's not the problem right now.

Extension/restructure for Dak and a CD extension would have dropped both of their cap hits this year.
Some of you seem to think you know everything. If you think it’s as simple as what’s being reported by the people you’re listening to these contracts would be done by now. It takes two sides to make a deal. Offers are being made, but the players don’t want to accept.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Some of you seem to think you know everything. If you think it’s as simple as what’s being reported by the people you’re listening to these contracts would be done by now. It takes two sides to make a deal. Offers are being made, but the players don’t want to accept.
Uh, I know that. I've said over and over that the players have agency in having to be willing to sign at a number.

My point is that the cap isn't the restriction the Jones like to pretend it is. It only because a problem when they don't want to spend actual cash (i.e. up front bonuses) to reduce the cap hit.

I'll say it again - if Tyreek Hill had a cap hit of $6.5m and $13m in his first two years with Miami, then there is no reason why the cap has to be an issue for a CD extension when he is already signed for next year. The only reason the "cap" becomes an issue is because they don't want to spend cash.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Uh, I know that. I've said over and over that the players have agency in having to be willing to sign at a number.

My point is that the cap isn't the restriction the Jones like to pretend it is. It only because a problem when they don't want to spend actual cash (i.e. up front bonuses) to reduce the cap hit.

I'll say it again - if Tyreek Hill had a cap hit of $6.5m and $13m in his first two years with Miami, then there is no reason why the cap has to be an issue for a CD extension when he is already signed for next year. The only reason the "cap" becomes an issue is because they don't want to spend cash.
You’re listening to too many people.

blueblood70

Reaction score
1 down! and just like most of us told you lamb was going to get done and it did,

Parsons is it going anywhere... not at first, you're the only way we lose these players is after they sign and we end up losing Dak and we get bad they get traded..

Daks is the toughest and will be major factor in the pother payers remaining on this team long tern or not..

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
d55ed4ab-382e-4dd3-a9e9-10613735ddf5_text.gif

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Short answer: Yes.

Teams can "kick the can down the road", backload deals, and pay players across several years of the cap in order to fit everyone inside. Of course, if you keep doing this, eventually you are paying players no longer on the roster. This is what is meant by teams having "a window". Or, truly going "all in".

What the Cowboys are trying to do is keep that window open for as long as they can, so they try to avoid overspending. The problem is, this severely hinders their ability to win in the short term. Basically, they are worrying about a "next year" that never gets here.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
The owners know what is going to happen with the cap, especially Jerry Jones. He is involved in all of that.

As of right now, according to Overthecap.com they are saying we have 28.5m in cap space before the Lamb deal. If you click on extension it says we can save 13.5m on this year's cap giving him an extension. In addition, it says we can save 22.2m by giving Dak an extension. Bosa signed the highest pass rusher deal, and his cap hit the first two years are 15m in year 1 and 20.5m in year 2.

Dallas can absolutely sign all three. It just gets dicey have multiple players near the top of the pay scale. It is when you have to start looking at trading some of your guys that are very good the year before they are up for a new deal. Guys like Ferguson come to mind, and even a guy like Bland or Tyler Smith. You have to determine where you are going to allocate your funds.

It does always seem like Dallas has more guys being paid at or near the top of their positions than any other team in the league...and surely don't have the hardware to show for it.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We can sign all three but we shouldn’t.