Can we stop panicking now?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you trolling me or what is the disconnect here? Is Jourdan Lewis the only young player you think is on this roster?

I'm not "trolling" you at all. I'm dispelling your myth of trying to blame poor defense on "young players".

Nothing more, nothing less.

If you give up on that excuse attempt, you won't hear from me again on it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm not "trolling" you at all. I'm dispelling your myth of trying to blame poor defense on "young players".

Nothing more, nothing less.

If you give up on that excuse attempt, you won't hear from me again on it.
So you were pleased with Jaylon Smith's play?

Sydla

Reaction score
I just don't believe in using a band aid to heal up a gun shot wound.

And you think if we had TJ Ward right now we wouldn't be 3-3? He's just a name at this point in his career.

Your shortsightedness matches the front office's.

The whole point is you could have used some band aids and still drafted to get younger. It's not an either/or situation.

And yes I think we'd be better than 3-3 if they had signed a better S and a better 1 tech and maybe even a better veteran CB.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Your shortsightedness matches the front office's.

The whole point is you could have used some band aids and still drafted to get younger. It's not an either/or situation.

And yes I think we'd be better than 3-3 if they had signed a better S and a better 1 tech and maybe even a better veteran CB.

But TJ Ward stinks and has been benched....

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The CZ formula:

After a close loss: Don't talk about any positivity in the game. We were never in that game.....we've got some serious panickin' to do

After a loss: We're not good enough. We're luck to have won such and such games ...we've got some major panickin' to do

After a tough loss: We've got epic levels of panickin' to do....but ultimately, it's time to blow it all up and rebuild.

After a close win: There's nothing to celebrate. We should have lost.....we've got some panickin' to do

After a Good win: Celebrate for 2 hours and then shut up about it.....we've got some panickin' to do

After a Great win: Celebrate for 4 hours and then shut up about it....we've got some panickin' to do.

After Super Bowl win: Celebrate for 24 hours and then shut up about it....we're going to go another 20+ years without another SB win....and we've got some panickin' to do
This. And every word is true.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The CZ formula:

After a close loss: Don't talk about any positivity in the game. We were never in that game.....we've got some serious panickin' to do

After a loss: We're not good enough. We're luck to have won such and such games ...we've got some major panickin' to do

After a tough loss: We've got epic levels of panickin' to do....but ultimately, it's time to blow it all up and rebuild.

After a close win: There's nothing to celebrate. We should have lost.....we've got some panickin' to do

After a Good win: Celebrate for 2 hours and then shut up about it.....we've got some panickin' to do

After a Great win: Celebrate for 4 hours and then shut up about it....we've got some panickin' to do.

After Super Bowl win: Celebrate for 24 hours and then shut up about it....we're going to go another 20+ years without another SB win....and we've got some panickin' to do
:clap:

The nonsense is not restricted to Cowboyszone alone though. The personality flaw is a part of some fans who follow all sports.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The simple fact is that we've beaten three teams that don't have functioning offenses. The Giants and Cardinals wins don't look so impressive in retrospect, and the 49ers are a terrible team and had a QB starting his first game.
As for our losses, I'm willing to write off the Denver game as a fluke. We lost close ones to the Rams (who are very much for real) and the Packers (who were very much for real at the time) missing big pieces from our defense.

The offense is fine. As I predicted before the season, there was much hand-wringing in here over the offense after opening up against VERY tough defenses. But it's also true that the offense is looking more cohesive every week. The 49ers weren't much of a challenge, but we did exactly what we're supposed to do against bad teams: we destroyed them with 500 yards and 40 points.

I have no idea what to expect from the defense and I don't think any of us do. We have yet to face a competent offense with Lee, Hitchens and Irving on the field (and Jaylon limited to a small number of snaps). Also, our rookies have a few games under their belt now. The next two weeks should be very interesting tests. (And maybe the Falcons the week after that, if they've fired Sarkisian be then).

Losing close games to good teams (Rams, Packers) isn't by itself a big deal: good teams lose a few games, and the games they lose are close games to tough opponents. The problem is that we lost two of those kinds of games early and those losses are in the books. Our margin for error is vastly reduced going forward. If we'd won one of those games, it would be easier later in the season to shrug off, say, a close loss to the Chiefs as a "these things happen" game. We can't afford those anymore: we've used them up already.

Sydla

Reaction score
Is Byron Jones not a young player?

So is that the bar? Better than Heath?

On this team? Yes.

Again, the point that consistently eludes you was the team didn't need to go out and spend $100MM on players to get better. That's not the point anyone is making. So no, they didn't need to go out and sign the best SS in football to take over for Heath. They could have signed some smart, mid-level free agents and still worked the draft for long term solutions.

There was a way to work FA and work the draft and improve the team in the near term as well as down the road. They didn't do that. That's pretty damn obvious to anyone who isn't sniffing glue and genuflecting at the altar of the front office.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is Byron Jones not a young player?

No, he isn't. He's been in this league and this defense for three years now. No more excuses for him. But I now see how far you're willing to try to stretch the description to fit your narrative.

Fail.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On this team? Yes.

Again, the point that consistently eludes you was the team didn't need to go out and spend $100MM on players to get better. That's not the point anyone is making. So no, they didn't need to go out and sign the best SS in football to take over for Heath. They could have signed some smart, mid-level free agents and still worked the draft for long term solutions.

There was a way to work FA and work the draft and improve the team in the near term as well as down the road. They didn't do that. That's pretty damn obvious to anyone who isn't sniffing glue and genuflecting at the altar of the front office.

I don't think it "eludes" him at all. I think he intentionally avoids it. He'll try to cut down Carr and Claiborne as "no big loss" but will avaoid the Nolan Carroll fiasco like the plague. For the record, that was a difference of $1-$2 million in salary. Hardly breaking any bank.

The same for McClain vs Thornton and Paea, those numbers are almost a wash. Having a player rather than having nothing but a hole in your defense.

But that will be avoided too or diverted somewhere else, because the truth is unbearable for some.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't think it "eludes" him at all. I think he intentionally avoids it. He'll try to cut down Carr and Claiborne as "no big loss" but will avaoid the Nolan Carroll fiasco like the plague. For the record, that was a difference of $1-$2 million in salary. Hardly breaking any bank.

The same for McClain vs Thornton and Paea, those numbers are almost a wash. Having a player rather than having nothing but a hole in your defense.

But that will be avoided too or diverted somewhere else, because the truth is unbearable for some.

The funny part about that is when they cut Carroll, people acted like $2MM in dead money for next year is no big deal.

But bring up the fact that an extra $2MM a year could have kept Carr or Claiborne and both would have been better players than Carroll......... well, in that scenario $2MM is a real big chunk of change.