Can we talk about the Front Office?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Let's not mention Demarco. Let's just completely leave that one buried in the past where it rightfully belongs. Ok?

Let's start with Chris Johnson. I would like to quote a snippet from a CJ interview back in May.

Johnson said this week when asked if the Cowboys would serve as a solid landing spot, per TMZ.
"They need it. Yeah. That's what we're trying to do."

What were we thinking? Many of us couldn't understand why the FO wouldn't give him a look. I recall that area of time where we all hoped & wondered. Dude is now the 2nd leading rusher in the league and making himself known in Arizona. Wow. That all still gets under my skin.

Then you have Brandon Weeden. How were we able to go into this season with him and his winless streak as our primary backup to Romo. We placed this guy in a spot that was surely to get some PT this year given Romo's history of injuries. Something was bound to happen.

Let's approach it this way. Can you imagine having Chris Johnson and Matt Cassel together early on when Romo went down? One can speculate but I will go out on a limb and say we are at least 4-2 at this point in the season.

There is just no good excuse for not properly preparing for contingency. It's a long grueling season. In basketball, If you have no bench you have no real semblance of a championship makeup. That's kind of the way it has felt early on this season.

I like where the FO is going with Stephen and Willie but also feel they have a lot of work to do with regard to coming together during the offseason both via the draft and FA to place us in the best possible position for success. On the offensive side of the ball, they came up short this offseason.

La'el was mostly a Jerry move. I also call Hardy a Jerry move unless someone has evidence otherwise. Jones looks to be the part. Gregory might pan out. But, beyond that, it gets very fuzzy in terms of what we have done on the offensive side of the ball to improve.

JPostSam

Reaction score
i think they've done a very good job lately -- but the backup qb and the rb situations are glaring exceptions

Hoofbite

Reaction score
4 years prior to this year: 4.1 YPC, 4 TDS/year

Joseph Randle in 2015: 4.1 YPC, 4 TDS

This isn't rocket science. 30-year-old back who hadn't been impressive for the majority of the past 4 seasons. That's a no-brainer. I'd say 90% of the time, writing these RBs off is the right call. Chris Johnson is having a good year and is probably in the 10%. Good for him.

Brandon Weeden on the other hand, that was a huge mistake. As were having no real plan for KR/PR and having little to nothing in terms of a capable WR behind Dez.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
i agree. i think w cassell and johnson we would atleast have won a game or maybe two. FO dropped it w RB situation and backup QB

bounce

Reaction score
As good as Johnson has played, did you see him (stats aside) in that game last night? He looked WAY slower than I remember. He was run down from behind.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
If you would have posted this thread last week at this time it would make a lot more sense. McFadden just went off, however and we rushed for over 200 yards. The health, continuity and play of the offensive line has been the biggest factor in the running game, not the back.

Did you give up on Michael?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They were probably thinking he was either too expensive, or he wasn't a scheme fit. Or they liked McFadden better for what he cost them.

Deep_South

Reaction score
The Weeden signing was a huge mistake, and everyone here who had seen him play suffered near cardiac arrest when it was announced. I can't imagine what the front office was thinking.

As far as McFadden goes, I'm hoping he's a Miles Austin type who just needed a chance to play to show what he's got.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Why are you complaining about another RB? You've been hyping up C Michael for weeks as the RB the team really needs. If Chris Johnson was signed we never would have got your boy.

Sydla

Reaction score
I can get behind the QB situation being a mess up.

But I can't get upset that we didn't sign Johnson. When the OL actually blocked, as we saw in the Giants game, our TBs looked competent enough. I suspect Johnson would have put up similar numbers to McFadden in that Giants game.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
The Weeden signing was a huge mistake, and everyone here who had seen him play suffered near cardiac arrest when it was announced. I can't imagine what the front office was thinking.

As far as McFadden goes, I'm hoping he's a Miles Austin type who just needed a chance to play to show what he's got.

He's already got the Miles Austin injury history...

Austin was an undrafted FA who had just come into the league though. McFadden was a high first round pick whose been in the league quite a while. Not really the same thing.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This isn't rocket science. 30-year-old back who hadn't been impressive for the majority of the past 4 seasons. That's a no-brainer. I'd say 90% of the time, writing these RBs off is the right call. Chris Johnson is having a good year and is probably in the 10%. Good for him.
Knocked it right out of the ball park.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
As good as Johnson has played, did you see him (stats aside) in that game last night? He looked WAY slower than I remember. He was run down from behind.

He also should have been ruled down on that 60 yard scamper. He's doing better than I thought but he's not changing the Cowboys fortune.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I know a lot of people have been piling on the personnel department all of a sudden, but for the most part they've been kicking butt pretty well in the last 3 years.
Certainly not perfect, but much better in the draft and some other area than the years leading up to then.

As for Chris Johnson. I'm happy for him. The guy has never really played on a team with a QB.
Too bad it came so late in his career, but better late than the alternative, I suppose.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Brandon Weeden on the other hand, that was a huge mistake. As were having no real plan for KR/PR and having little to nothing in terms of a capable WR behind Dez.

This is the problem for everything.

You have coaches that offer nothing and a backup QB that offers nothing.

Joe_Fan

Continuity Is Overrated
Reaction score
Funny how Garrett was consensus coach of the year last year and how Stephen Jones was a football wizard. As soon as adversity hits, they all suck again.

This just goes to show that last season was all Romo who made the ginger look much better than he actually is. It's as simple as that.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score

I'll be truly shocked if Chris Johnson is still running this well in the second half of the season.