Can't be quarterback: name one Cowboy player from the past you would put on this current team

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If Jerry and Brady are the goat then so is Emmitt.

If we go another route then Mahomes or Rodgers, Peterson, and Moss are the best. They are the most gifted to ever play their positions.
Ya thats still weird logic. And that's being nice. This whole isnt really coherent. Peterson is the most gifted based on what exactly? KiJana Carter was bigger snd faster and he sucked. Simpson was physically superior to AD. Dickerson was physically superior to AD. AD was physically superior to any HB that has come out since the position was devalued. But if you think he was the most gifted about the position, then you must know very little about the NFL before 2005. And almost every post you have made in this thread suggests that. Or at least a heavy recency bias

Shane612

Reaction score
I'm trying to avoid the endless Dak debates, though I might just be fooling myself. So, you can't pick Staubach, Aikman or any other Cowboys quarterback. Aside from that, which past Cowboy player and his position would you team with this offense or defense.

Me? It's a tie between Charles Haley, Erik Williams, Larry Allen and Emmitt Smith.

I gotta go Emmitt Smith. His durability, reliability and productivity at the running back position would make us a better balanced team and even more dangerous offensively. I'm okay with the pass rush, and although I'd take an upgrade on the offensive line, I think we can get by with the line we have, provided Tyron Smith returns.
However, the lack of a running game concerns me. And I believe we'll have to lean more on that in the playoffs.

But that's my take. What's yours?
Emmitt would be better, but I don't know how much better, with current state of the offensive line.
I'd pick Michael Irvin at his peak, a big strong WR who'll fight for every pass coming his way.
If not Irvin, I'll take Larry Allen.

shabazz

Reaction score
Witten was never that great in the redzone.

Dez is probably the best Dallas ever had in that area.

Was thinking that having that reliable, disciplined target in the end zone would be a great asset for Rayne to have as an alternative when we can’t run it in. I don’t have faith in the current Tight ends to be that reliable threat

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Emmitt would be better, but I don't know how much better, with current state of the offensive line.
I'd pick Michael Irvin at his peak, a big strong WR who'll fight for every pass coming his way.
If not Irvin, I'll take Larry Allen.

Take La'Roi Glover. The defense would have a DT who can actually get into the backfield.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I'm trying to avoid the endless Dak debates, though I might just be fooling myself. So, you can't pick Staubach, Aikman or any other Cowboys quarterback. Aside from that, which past Cowboy player and his position would you team with this offense or defense.

Me? It's a tie between Charles Haley, Erik Williams, Larry Allen and Emmitt Smith.

I gotta go Emmitt Smith. His durability, reliability and productivity at the running back position would make us a better balanced team and even more dangerous offensively. I'm okay with the pass rush, and although I'd take an upgrade on the offensive line, I think we can get by with the line we have, provided Tyron Smith returns.
However, the lack of a running game concerns me. And I believe we'll have to lean more on that in the playoffs.

But that's my take. What's yours?
What are the real weak spots...FS, LB, and DT. FS Roy Williams, LB Darrin Smith (people forget how good he was and Jerry let him go), and DT The Manster Randy White.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
This is a tough one Emmitt Smith is my favorite player so it's hard to leave him off. But if I'm thinking logically Elliott/Pollard is a fine tandem and there are other positions where there are weaknesses.

Interior offensive line is a weaker spot on this team. So you think of some of our better linemen Larry Allen, Nate Newtown, Mark Stepnoski could all be a big help.

Defensively you could plug guys in on the dline or dB that could help. Throwing Bob Lilly, DeMarcus Ware, Randy White, Charles Haley, and LaRoi Glover would make for some tough matchups. Then in the secondary Deion or Woodson would be great additions.

Games are still won in the trenches though so give me Larry Allen. My runners up would probably be between Lilly and Ware.

dckid

Reaction score
Feelings hurt?
Lol. No I actually loved Novacek… yes Witten was better but he was not dynamic. Give me Emmit, Deion, Irvin, Allen, Novacek,Troy. Yeah just the whole 90’s team along with Micha and Digga

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Given that the D is playing well, I would have to shore up the offensive foundation. Larry or Erik are unbelievable choices. Since Larry can play anywhere, its one stop shopping in the HOF aisle.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Lol. No I actually loved Novacek… yes Witten was better but he was not dynamic. Give me Emmit, Deion, Irvin, Allen, Novacek,Troy. Yeah just the whole 90’s team along with Micha and Digga
Witten in his prime was the most complete TE in my opinion. And with our current roster we don't need a WR type, more of a blocking TE

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Jim Brown was the greatest ever.

If the criteria is outright dominance against ones contemporaries it's hard to argue with Jim as the greatest. Led the league 8 of his 9 seasons.. Retired as the all time leader in yards and TDs.. All that said.. He played the bulk of his career in a time when guys like him were largely excluded from participating.. Which is to say he had to face far fewer physical freaks like himself than guys who could come after. At 6'2" 230 Brown was always one of the biggest, strongest and fastest guys on the field. A generation later, after the league had come to its senses along with the rest of society with regard to opportunity.. his physical advantages would have been considerably reduced. Of course he still would have been a great great player.. However he would not have been nearly as much of a man among boys as he was in the 50's and early 60's.. As such I don't think he would have averaged 5 ypc or 100 yards a game at his size and with his style in the modern NFL. At least not with any consistency. Yes he would have had seasons like that.. but not a whole career.. The physical toll of facing guys who were bigger and stronger and just as fast or faster would have taken its toll.. Just IMHO of course. Ironically it was Brown's greatness that helped to open the eyes of the NFL as to what it had been missing and subsequently opened doors for others like him to be given the chance to play at the highest level..

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
Prime Sean Lee to pair with Parsons or prime Nate Newton at LG (Yeah I know Larry Allen exists)

I could be convinced to take Dez Bryant for red zone or Deion Sanders opposite Diggs. Martellus Bennett would boost the running game too.

IslandCowboy

Reaction score
Emmitt Smith or Deion Sanders. Deion across from Trevon would be beyond awesome. Emmitt is just so game changing and in his prime could definitely overcome our O line woes.

I don't think that Tony or Zeke plus Larry Allen would be as good as Smith plus current O line personally.

MichaelValentino

Reaction score
These players are way faster today. MIcah might be the fastest player in the league if this was 1965.

You think Larry Csonka would be a starting RB today???? bahahahahahahahahahahhaha

(1) My comments specifically addressed whether Lilly, Greene and White could play today.

These were the greatest DTs of their eras, and I compared them to the greatest of this era, Donald.

Greene wasn’t known for his weight room strength but he was tremendous on the field. Donald is stronger.

White benched 500 and did 10 reps with 450. I wrote a long article about him nine years ago. He said he could have lifted a lot more but didn’t want to bulk up too much. His top playing weight was 270. He ran a 4.6, which tops Donald’s 4.68 coming out.

Lilly didn’t lift but was brutally strong, country strong. The guy lifted the front end of a car.

I doubt Lilly could come near Donald’s 40 time but he was cat quick knifing into the backfield. Only Alan Page, who played at 245, was quicker off the ball.

(2) I’m not questioning the speed of today’s players vs those of the 60s-70s. You’re bringing up a strawman.

(3) Parsons ran a 4.39 and 4.41 at the combine. Smoking fast. But I am not sure he’s the fastest LB in Cowboys history.

Thomas Henderson ran a 9.5 100 yd dash. He ran a sub 4.4 in the 40 and was the second fastest player on the 1977 Cowboys team, to Dorsett’s 4.3. And it was close.

(4) Bob Hayes. Henry Carr. Gale Sayers. Possibly Lance Alworth but not likely.

Three NFL players in the NFL in 1965 faster than Parsons.

Hayes was one of the best sprinters in history. Carr was one of his top competitors in 1964. Sayers, the “Kansas Comet” ran a 9.5 100 in track.

(5) Czonka was a 6’3” 240 lb power back. I think guys like him and John Riggins would be good RBs today.

There are some — and I hope you’re not one — who don’t think Dick Butkus could play today.

That would be an utterly indefensible position to take.

In sum, we agree today’s athletes are better. Perhaps we disagree on what Lilly would be like today. And that’s ok.