"Can't Miss!"

IceBowler

Reaction score
Don't quite understand the 'shallowness" of many - While there's no doubt Lawrence is a great talent, the fact remains that he hasn't taken a snap in the NFL and .. the landscape is littered with "Can't Miss" players who, well ... missed. This kid is not the savior and certainly not without an OL that can't keep him or any other QB off the carpet.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Don't quite understand the 'shallowness" of many - While there's no doubt Lawrence is a great talent, the fact remains that he hasn't taken a snap in the NFL and .. the landscape is littered with "Can't Miss" players who, well ... missed. This kid is not the savior and certainly not without an OL that can't keep him or any other QB off the carpet.
I'm in the minority that isnt sure if his skills translate to the pros.

I think he will be ok, but it's not a full guarantee he doesnt bust.

He is going to go to an awful team, and that may not help.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed, except to say for all we know Lawrence could be the savior, but as you indicate, it's far from a certainty.

Moving on from a known player - one who is clearly a very good NFL QB - in favor of a draft pick is certainly not the no brainer some make it out to be. Sure there is a chance a team could get the next Pat Mahomes, but that's very unlikely. Odds are much greater of getting the next Marcus Mariota or Jake Locker, or at best a Wentz or Goff, which doesn't move the team forward other than gives the team more money to use on free agents because they aren't paying a veteran QB. Of course a team could pay the veteran QB and use the draft pick for another difference making player at another position, or even trade back for multiple picks. Who's to say which is better?

jjktkk

Reaction score
Don't quite understand the 'shallowness" of many - While there's no doubt Lawrence is a great talent, the fact remains that he hasn't taken a snap in the NFL and .. the landscape is littered with "Can't Miss" players who, well ... missed.
I don't see why you're having a problem understanding. You're contradicting yourself with the statement Lawrence is a "great talent", but he "hasn't taken a snap in the NFL". That's how the NFL system works with evaluating and drafting and eventually playing a rookie. QB. It's the most important position on a team. It is a big process, but that's how it works.[/QUOTE]
This kid is not the savior and certainly not without an OL that can't keep him or any other QB off the carpet.
Wrong again. If Lawrence is as advertised, he will be the savior. And how can you properly evaluate the Cowboy's OL when the line has been devastated by injurie?. C'mon man.[/QUOTE]

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wrong again. If Lawrence is as advertised, he will be the savior. And how can you properly evaluate the Cowboy's OL when the line has been devastated by injurie?. C'mon man.
You missed his point. His point wasn't that Lawrence wouldn't help "if he is as advertised", his point was that many times players aren't as advertised.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Never seent the man play. Saw some highlights. Kinda reminded of watching Carroll’s usc team highlights, but the game has changed a lot since those days. From what he saw also looked really similar to dak maybe better accuracy? Help me out guy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I fail to see the connection between "shallowness" and those that want Lawrence or Fields or any other QB. I do not know why "shallowness" is in "'s so I do not know how it is intended.

The grass is greener is always present with some and they may feel taking a chance on one of these rooks might be as good if not better than sticking with Prescott.

However, the real issue is that this brain trust is so mediocre at team building that some feel the team need an edge, like a QB that might overcome their lack of team building for the last two QB's.

Big_D

Reaction score

you’re right.. never draft a QB again!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never seent the man play. Saw some highlights. Kinda reminded of watching Carroll’s usc team highlights, but the game has changed a lot since those days. From what he saw also looked really similar to dak maybe better accuracy? Help me out guy.
He's an athletic 6'6" QB with a good and strong arm and like Justin Fields and Kyle Trask, plays on a damned good team surrounded with a lot of good players. All 3 of these teams could end up in the CFP because of their talent.

The word on his predecessor, Deshaun Watson, was mixed and a lot felt he would struggle but he's come through that pretty well.

There are no guarantees with any of these young QB's and Prescott is the devil we know and that devil might be better than all 5 of these blue chippers. Goff, Wentz and Lynch were the highly touted and all went in the 1st and I would take Prescott over all 3 of them.

My real issue isn't with Dak but what's built around him. If one of these 5 is an upgrade and can overcome management, I'm willing to take a shot.

jjktkk

Reaction score
You missed his point. His point wasn't that Lawrence wouldn't help "if he is as advertised", his point was that many times players aren't as advertised.
But Lawrence is as advertised. Of course Lawrence could be a bust. But That's the NFL life of evaluating and drafting of a potential franchise QB..

garyo1954

Reaction score

You could say the same for EVERY player that comes into the NFL EVERY year. What's your point?

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
blah blah,, watch the game, watch the process,, the real process not the one that JG embedded in your cranium.
Watch Herbert succeed, watch Burrow succeed.. you always have to take a chance to succeed.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Yea I made a similar statement in another thread. I know fans will be fans and not think logically but the owners, GM and coaches have to be held to a higher standard. There are a couple of can't miss prospects at QB in the coming up draft class but none of them are proven in the NFL. We have a proven QB that is at a franchise QB level. Its on the powers that be to understand that.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I agree with you. You never know how it might turn out but I am willing to take the risk of we have the chance but it would be hard because I like Dak. Just have to put emotions aside and understand that it is a business. I mean no one knows how good a player will be. Arid was terrible in the preseason and Jerry Rice perhaps the greatest player of all time, couldn’t catch a ball if it was handed to him. People were calling for Walsh’s head for moving up to draft him and wanted Rice to cut after 8 games. You just never know.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But Lawrence is as advertised. Of course Lawrence could be a bust. But That's the NFL life of evaluating and drafting of a potential franchise QB..
Lawrence is as advertised at the college level, but the Cowboy's concern is the pro level, and that's what the poster you responded to was talking about. The point he was making is we don't know about the pro level.

And yes, that is life with evaluating and drafting, and part of that is understanding the risk of letting a proven high quality player go in favor of a prospect that is highly thought of, but also unproven.

In the end I think the poster was simply saying that drafting Lawrence isn't the sure way to improve some make it out to be. And, realistically, the evaluation you mentioned could lead the Cowboys to that thinking as well. Or they could decide Lawrence is the better way to go. Either choice would have some foundation.

Not that I think the Cowboys will end up with the first overall pick ...

Last edited: