"Can't Miss!"

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
There are certain draftable prospects that are widely accepted as being sure-thing, elite level players at the next level.

Elway, Aikman, Manning, Luck, etc.

Recently...Jalen Ramsey, Joey Bosa, Nick Bosa, Chase Young, Myles Garrett, Quenton Nelson, etc.

Trevor Lawrence is as sure a thing as there has been.

Doesn't matter because there is almost zero chance of the Cowboys leap frogging the Jets to get him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It's funny but if you go back in the line of "can't miss" college QB's, there is a certain value in seeing which looked good on teams that were loaded and teams that were good but not great. The landscape is littered with "can't miss" QB's that played on power house teams and figured out "Maybe the other 11 first round picks on offense" made him look great....Case in point...didnt Lawrence back up come in and not miss a beat on a very loaded offensive team against a top rated defense...without going to google can you name lawrence backup? just sayin....

Well, I don't know that this was addressed to me but I believe the answer is the DJ Ugawhatever his name is guy. I only know this because he's from Bellflower, which is where my Wife was from in Southern Cal.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Wrong again. If Lawrence is as advertised, he will be the savior. And how can you properly evaluate the Cowboy's OL when the line has been devastated by injurie?. C'mon man.

ALL OF THEM HAVEN'T TAKEN A SNAP IN THE NFL.
Did you get a cramp in your hands typing and overanalyzing how the NFL draft works? Which by the way I have been diligently watching for almost 30 years? Are you trying to obtain how to draft and evaluate a draft eligible prospect? Trevor Lawrence is unequivocally the consensus, #1 rated QB in the upcoming NFL draft. He checks all the boxes: Size, arm strength, athletic ability, level of competition. What more information on Lawrence would you like? If Dallas does decide to go the route of drafting a franchise QB in the upcoming draft, drafting Lawrence is a no brainer.

Last edited:

jjktkk

Reaction score
It's funny but if you go back in the line of "can't miss" college QB's, there is a certain value in seeing which looked good on teams that were loaded and teams that were good but not great. The landscape is littered with "can't miss" QB's that played on power house teams and figured out "Maybe the other 11 first round picks on offense" made him look great....Case in point...didnt Lawrence back up come in and not miss a beat on a very loaded offensive team against a top rated defense...without going to google can you name lawrence backup? just sayin....
I think you left out the part of Lawrence defeating a highly touted ,talented, Alabama team to win the National Championship.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
It's really not but if that's how you see it, that's OK with me.

Truth is, we haven't won a thing in 25 years. Dak hasn't proven anything and neither has anybody else associated with the team in that period of time. That's just how I see it.
What current QB in college has played in the NFL? Rhetorical...which makes them unproven until they play in the NFL. They will either prove to be worthy of being a franchise QB, Back up, Bust or a Dunucci.

You read my post and knew my answer because it was in my post.....Dak is a franchise QB.....it's proven. Check his tag for verification.

RS12

Reaction score
If it boils down to five years of Lawrence on a rookie deal or multiple years of Dak at 45 mil, sign me up for Lawrence all day every day.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Every year of the draft process, studs get nitpicked for the dumbest reasons. "Saquon can't run inside", "Myles Garrett doesn't have good hand technique", "Ramsey had 0 picks", like get real, people. If this was some random 4th round rated player you just discovered, you'd be freaking out about how your eyes hath seen the glory. People get so caught up in trying to catch the occasional Robert Gallery that they miss the forest for the trees.

Lawrence is as good as QB that's come along in a decade. There's a chance that any player can fail, but his wild Mahomes-level physical gifts and rare polish at his age present a minimal risk / MVP-potential reward combo that's just forehead slappingly obvious to take at #1 overall.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I agree with you. You never know how it might turn out but I am willing to take the risk of we have the chance but it would be hard because I like Dak. Just have to put emotions aside and understand that it is a business. I mean no one knows how good a player will be. Arid was terrible in the preseason and Jerry Rice perhaps the greatest player of all time, couldn’t catch a ball if it was handed to him. People were calling for Walsh’s head for moving up to draft him and wanted Rice to cut after 8 games. You just never know.

:huh::huh: X 10 ..........where's this coming from????????

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Don't quite understand the 'shallowness" of many - While there's no doubt Lawrence is a great talent, the fact remains that he hasn't taken a snap in the NFL and .. the landscape is littered with "Can't Miss" players who, well ... missed. This kid is not the savior and certainly not without an OL that can't keep him or any other QB off the carpet.
the challenge with some of these college QBs is that they play on a semi-pro team in college, littered with NFL level players and they often blow away smaller competition. its become harder and harder to evaluate college QBs because they play these spread systems where they bet that my 4th WR is going to beat your 4th CB. they play fast tempo, spread offenses, which makes it harder to evaluate how it projects to NFL. the NFL is trying to incorporate some of college tendencies into its scheme, but its not easily transferable. in college, you may find a team with multiple offensive weapons who are draftable, rather easily, but very few boast a defensive team that has much talent...the only colleges thatexcept maybe for alabama or ohio state. Lawrence will be the top prospect for sure, but there are flaws in his game and we haven't seen the evaluations first.

.the one QB as of late that was fairly easy to evaluate was Luck, who played at stanford, that runs a pro set scheme....he was the last can't miss prospect, who went to a team investing on WRs, TEs, and not OL and he continued to get beat up behind that line and deal with injuries that led to him retiring early..

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Here's PFF Pros and Cons on Lawrence

Summary
The hype is deserved. Lawrence was heralded as the best recruit since [insert your favorite QB recruit], and now he's going to be the best prospect since [insert your favorite QB prospect]. I've never seen a true freshman look more comfortable than Lawrence did in 2018. He earned a 90.7 overall grade that season and made seven turnover-worthy plays all year. And after a slow start to 2019, Lawrence rebounded to finish with a 91.0 overall grade. The cherry on top is Lawrence's legs. When Clemson had no way to block Chase Young and looked outmanned against Ohio State's cornerbacks on the outside, Dabo Swinney flipped the script, and Lawrence had 14 carries for 120 yards on the ground with four broken tackles. What can't he do?

Pros
Poise well beyond his years. He was completely unfazed as true freshman on the biggest stage. Rocket launcher for an arm. He can throw frozen ropes to every level of the defense. Unparalleled blitz recognition. Earned a 91.6 overall grade on 178 dropbacks vs. the blitz

Cons
Has an airmail tendency. It showed up big in the 2019 Championship vs LSU. Locks onto iso routes too often and won't come off when they aren't there. Simplistic offense with legit NFL talent at WR. Fairly favorable situation

timb2

Reaction score
Don't quite understand the 'shallowness" of many - While there's no doubt Lawrence is a great talent, the fact remains that he hasn't taken a snap in the NFL and .. the landscape is littered with "Can't Miss" players who, well ... missed. This kid is not the savior and certainly not without an OL that can't keep him or any other QB off the carpet.
I question leadership. To me he is Blaine Gabbert.. Gabbert was big, good arm, could move some,but other intangibles I look for is leadership learn this in the Marines. Lawrence like Blaine Gabbert are pretty boys. That is hard to overcome. It might be flashy but a leader wins the game. Not worried about his hair. He isn't showboating like Johnny Manziel....He is not also some supreme jerk like Ryan Leaf or Jeff George. He isn't a camera hog like RG3 or some guy looking like he is in a boy band thinking he is cool like Tony Romo....Not a clown like Jameis Winston... He is a humble guy who leads by example.... personality is reserved knowing eyes are always on him... Hates to lose, football is important to him......A couple of guys have that leadership factor right now

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Russell Wilson......

This is a QB I would look at Zac Wilson BYU. Maybe too pretty but humble. Knowing he has to get it done.

Last edited:

RS12

Reaction score
I question leadership. To me he is Blaine Gabbert.. Gabbert was big, good arm, could move some,but other intangibles I look for is leadership learn this in the Marines. Lawrence like Blaine Gabbert are pretty boys. That is hard to overcome. It might be flashy but a leader wins the game. Not worried about his hair. He isn't showboating like Johnny Manziel....He is not also some supreme jerk like Ryan Leaf or Jeff George. He isn't a camera hog like RG3 or some guy looking like he is in a boy band thinking he is cool like Tony Romo....Not a clown like Jameis Winston... He is a humble guy who leads by example.... personality is reserved knowing eyes are always on him... Hates to lose, football is important to him......A couple of guys have that leadership factor right now

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Russell Wilson......

This is a QB I would look at Zac Wilson BYU. Maybe too pretty but humble. Knowing he has to get it done.

Don't agree on the Lawrence analysis. However I would be very interested in Wilson. When I watch him he is extremely accurate and throws one of the most catchable balls I have seen. Literally right in the hands or numbers every time. Latest CBS mock has him number 5 to the 4skins.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
What current QB in college has played in the NFL? Rhetorical...which makes them unproven until they play in the NFL. They will either prove to be worthy of being a franchise QB, Back up, Bust or a Dunucci.

You read my post and knew my answer because it was in my post.....Dak is a franchise QB.....it's proven. Check his tag for verification.

Do you want me to check it this year or can we wait till next year, when it doesn't exist? For the record, I did read your post and after having read it, I wasn't sure that even you knew what you were talking about so please, refrain from making claims about what everybody "knew" about what you were saying.

kevinhickey

Reaction score
Lawrence is as advertised at the college level, but the Cowboy's concern is the pro level, and that's what the poster you responded to was talking about. The point he was making is we don't know about the pro level.

And yes, that is life with evaluating and drafting, and part of that is understanding the risk of letting a proven high quality player go in favor of a prospect that is highly thought of, but also unproven.

In the end I think the poster was simply saying that drafting Lawrence isn't the sure way to improve some make it out to be. And, realistically, the evaluation you mentioned could lead the Cowboys to that thinking as well. Or they could decide Lawrence is the better way to go. Either choice would have some foundation.

Not that I think the Cowboys will end up with the first overall pick ...
This all comes down to one thing, dollars and sense. Can Jerry sign Dak to a long term contract. This has to work for both parties! If it don't then you have no choice but to move on.