Cap guys: Will we be able to afford all of these guys?

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
The NFL salary cap is a bit confusing to me. Will we be able to afford all of these guys in the next y1-2 years?

Dak
Cooper
Lawrence
Byron
Jaylon

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
You're missing the biggest piece here - Zeke, who will become the top paid RB in the league. Lawrence will break the bank as well. Dak is going to be interesting, we'll likely get a discount over starting QB money, but we're still talking $22mn+ per season.

I think we can, but I do think we should entertaining trading one of them. We don't want to be in cap hell when they start regressing. Byron may be the most likely piece that gets traded if he keeps it up. Top CB money is significant, and perhaps he can fetch 2 firsts on the open market in the right situation.

dallas72

Reaction score
Zeke & Jaylon are not free agents ..Byron being a 1st rlind pick will get 5th year option....I would sign DLaw & Cooper...Dak I would let him play on last year..you can always franchise after next year Dak with no long term contract and see if he improves

rynochop

Reaction score
Not sure what to think about Byron..is he really worth top 3 money? Not saying he's not a great db

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The NFL salary cap is a bit confusing to me. Will we be able to afford all of these guys in the next y1-2 years?

Dak
Cooper
Lawrence
Byron
Jaylon
The simple answer is YES

With rollover we have 80m in cap space next year with a couple cuts and re-dos to the OL
Then they have over 120m in cap space for 2020

Cooper already counts for 14m next year
DLaw will be another 17m APY.......10m first year cap hit
BJones is under contract for 6m next year....after that 10m a year
Jaylon has one more year on his rookie deal in 2019.....after that 8m a year
Zeke has a 5th option for 2020
Dak will cost big time........20m APY.....his first couple years will be 9m in 2019 and 16min 2020

Guys like Beasley, Irving, TWilliams, AHurns, Crawford may go

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
Zeke & Jaylon are not free agents ..Byron being a 1st rlind pick will get 5th year option....I would sign DLaw & Cooper...Dak I would let him play on last year..you can always franchise after next year Dak with no long term contract and see if he improves

Franchising him would cost closer to 30 million that season. Not an easy pill to swallow.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
Yes, I think we sign all our priority FA, its all about the guaranteed $, whilst we will have around $50m in 2019, in 2020 we will have $113m+ I can see several players having quite large base salaries in 2020.

Reaction score
The simple answer is YES

With rollover we have 80m in cap space next year with a couple cuts and re-dos to the OL

Dak will cost big time........20m APY.....his first couple years will be 9m in 2019 and 16min 2020

It will all come down to loyalty.......

Will Cooper play out his contract or demand a new one?
Same for Byron and Zeke.

I'm not as worried about Jaylon, he seems grateful that Cowboys took a chance on him and might do a good deal for us. DLaw is going to cost a ton of money no matter what, but I think we are well aware of that.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
The simple answer is YES

Night
Arent we already paying Romo's dead cap right not too, so really Dak's pay raise wont be as bad as we think?

Reaction score
Last year on the books for Romo and Dez is this year. Next year we still have Orlando Scandrick for 1.6 million, we clear significant dead money this year FINALLY.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Last year on the books for Romo and Dez is this year. Next year we still have Orlando Scandrick for 1.6 million, we clear significant dead money this year FINALLY.
Dead Money is just another accounting tool

It is much smarter to pay Dead Money later when the cap is higher

The cap was 155m in 2016 and 177m this season.... Romo's 9m hits a lot less today

Reaction score
Dead Money is just another accounting tool

It is much smarter to pay Dead Money later when the cap is higher

The cap was 155m in 2016 and 177m this season.... Romo's 9m hits a lot less today

Overall I tend to agree with you. But it's hard to keep a straight face with that argument when you total 31 million in dead money this year.