Cap Implications if Dak is traded pre-June 1?

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Has anyone done the math on the cap implications on trading Dak pre-June 1? I’m not just talking about Dak. I mean how do the Cowboys absorb that cap hit and what would the Cowboys need to do to make the cap acceleration fit this year?
pre june cut

24: 61 mils dead cap

cutting prescott is no option pre or post june.

Creeper

Reaction score
If they cut or trade Dak before June 1, there is a $62 million charge against the Cowboys CAP in 2024, which is about $2.5 million more than his current CAP hit.

The Cowboys are effectively $21 million over the CAP now according to Over The Cap. That number would increase to about $24 million.

Before Dallas could sign any of their own free agents or sign anyone else's free agents they would have to find $24 million in other CAP saves. Then find additional CAP saves for sign free agents. But I would assume if they planned to get rid of Dak, they won't be signing any free agents. Why would anyone come here with QB turmoil?

You have to figure they need at least $20 million in CAP saves after they get under the CAP to sign whatever players they want to sign. One significant save would be to extend CeeDee. But what if CeeDee knows Dak is leaving and Dallas has no QB. Does he sign an extension not knowing what kind of QB hell Dallas is entering into? He may choose not to sign an extension which means there is no CAP save for his $17 million salary. The Cowboys would be in real trouble.

If the Cowboys make Dak a post-June 1 cut, they save $32 million this year, but will have another $31 million in dead money next year. The problem is, they get no CAP relief for Dak until after June, when free agency is over and all the best players have been signed somewhere.

Here is the bigger problem. Dak is not going to agree to a trade. Why should he? If the Cowboys cut him he will get signed somewhere else for the money he wants anyway. He has Jerry over a barrel and there is not much Jerry can do. Sure, they get a 3rd round comp pick for Dak, which is really like an early 4th round pick. I don't think that is going to be enough to rebuild the team.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The June 1st thing only applies to releases, not trades. This info isn't hard to find.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Of course they would. Big contact qbs are dealt all the time anymore. Stafford, Wilson, rogers, etc.
Those are all quarterbacks that are good enough to win a Super Bowl. We only know that because they each have won one. Dak is going to want over $50 million per season. What team do you think believes he’s worth that and what do you suppose they’d trade to the Cowboys for the right to sign him to a $50 million per season deal? You must have an idea of what team and what they’d offer. “Big contract qbs are dealt all the time anymore.” Who and what?

Kwyn

Reaction score
Can you provide the math on that? Why the extra 36m next year?
I want to find it but there was a great link on this in the past two weeks that was top notch. Broke down all the details

Chasing6

Reaction score
Has anyone done the math on the cap implications on trading Dak pre-June 1? I’m not just talking about Dak. I mean how do the Cowboys absorb that cap hit and what would the Cowboys need to do to make the cap acceleration fit this year?
I wonder what the fan implications are going to be when Dak is resigned.

plasticman

Reaction score
Give him 2024 and make plans to allow competition between a couple of QB's for the 2025 season.

That means drafting a legitimate potential NFL starter and have him compete against Trey Lance for the starting position in 2025......even if the Cowboys win the Super Bowl in 2024

Chasing6

Reaction score
Give him 2024 and make plans to allow competition between a couple of QB's for the 2025 season.

That means drafting a legitimate potential NFL starter and have him compete against Trey Lance for the starting position in 2025......even if the Cowboys win the Super Bowl in 2024
Lance will not be here in 2025.

Chasing6

Reaction score
That's a possibility, the next preseason should make that more clear.
Preseason is not much different the training camp practice. So I doubt it does anything for him. Grier played lights out and got picked up. However, he was not making $5M.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Those are all quarterbacks that are good enough to win a Super Bowl. We only know that because they each have won one. Dak is going to want over $50 million per season. What team do you think believes he’s worth that and what do you suppose they’d trade to the Cowboys for the right to sign him to a $50 million per season deal? You must have an idea of what team and what they’d offer. “Big contract qbs are dealt all the time anymore.” Who and what?
Stafford hadn't won a super bowl before being dealt, he really didn't even have playoff success before going to LA. I have no idea what Dak could actually net the Cowboys in a return but 100% believe that teams would line up to be able to acquire him. Atlanta and Vegas immediately come to mind. Tampa is another one that may lose their QB and doesn't draft high enough to grab a top QB prospect. There would be plenty of suitors should Dak hit the market, IDK if that is closer to a Stafford type return or a Derek Carr type of deal though.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I dont understand all the Dak threads.

He isnt the problem.

Playoff coaching is the problem.

Cut Dak...and its just more money to go to players that have to play for bad playoff coaches.

Our offense gets stymied in the Playoffs...thats not Dak. Thats lack of respecting a run game or plan. Our receivers cant get open...thats not Dak. Thats coaching.

Our Defense cant stop the run after getting run on for 4 weeks prior to the Playoffs. Thats bad coaching planning...not Dak.

Cutting Dak to give other players more money or to acquire better talent isnt going to solve the playoff coaching issue.
Dude…Dak is the problem.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Stafford hadn't won a super bowl before being dealt, he really didn't even have playoff success before going to LA. I have no idea what Dak could actually net the Cowboys in a return but 100% believe that teams would line up to be able to acquire him. Atlanta and Vegas immediately come to mind. Tampa is another one that may lose their QB and doesn't draft high enough to grab a top QB prospect. There would be plenty of suitors should Dak hit the market, IDK if that is closer to a Stafford type return or a Derek Carr type of deal though.
It didn’t work out.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
pre june cut

24: 61 mils dead cap

cutting prescott is no option pre or post june.
Cut him.

Early March. Designate as post June 1.

2024 Dead Cap: $25,455,000
2025 Dead Cap: $36,460,000

2024 Cap Savings: $34,000,000

#Lance 2024

Chasing6

Reaction score
I do have an idea. The Cowboys believe that and he will not be traded.

plasticman

Reaction score
Preseason is not much different the training camp practice. So I doubt it does anything for him. Grier played lights out and got picked up. However, he was not making $5M.
Tony Romo's first contract was up before he ever threw his first regulation pass.

Parcells played Romo a whole preseason game to determine whether they should re-sign him and he had a great game. That game was the deciding factor as to whether or not the Cowboys thought Romo had the ability to be a starter.