Cap May Extend To 110 Million

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
I haven't really paid much attention to the NBA since Bird left and Magic got Aids and none at all after Jordan retired.
I never really cared until the Griz moved to Memphis

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The NFL has the best cap and is the best run.

It is the model for all other sports.
Its "hard" cap keep rising astronomically while the NBA cap is actually shrinking.

If the NBA had franchise and transition player status they wouldn't need to overpay to keep guys. The NBA is clearly a few haves and a league of have-nots.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
I like the NBA. I am a huge laker fan, but it is clearly a star driven league. It has many advantages over the nba however. The international game is great and there are many stars overseas that come here. The regular season also lasts a lot longer (or feels that way).

IMO 1.NFL 2.NBA 3.College FB 4.MLB

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Tio said:
I like the NBA. I am a huge laker fan, but it is clearly a star driven league. It has many advantages over the nba however. The international game is great and there are many stars overseas that come here. The regular season also lasts a lot longer (or feels that way).

IMO 1.NFL 2.NBA 3.College FB 4.MLB

For me it's 1. NFL 2. College BBall 3. NBA 4. College FB

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
parchy said:
This doesn't really apply since there are strict limits placed on how much you can actually pay a player depending on how long he's been in the league. The NFL has those as well, but they're not nearly as defined.

Quite simply, they DON'T pay their players more. Not to mention that most of that system is revenue-based and the NFL would mop up in that category.

It's really a question of preference. A soft cap allows you to go over the limit to sign marquee players you already have on the pay-roll, rewarding teams for great scouting and/or player development instead of punishing teams who find big names and end up having to release them because they can't afford them anymore. It obviously presents its own set of problems, one of the biggest being a guy like Allen Iverson can rape the Sixers (becuase he can), and despite their ability to sign him no matter the cost, they can't really bring anybody else in. This wouldn't matter if they had better scouting/coaching, but that doesn't usually come up in discussion...

While what you say is true, the cap is "cheated" by retaining the stars on their respective teams. When these players leave the team has a "slot" that allows them to spend the money from that previous inflated player on other FA while teams with lesser talent don't have that luxury.

This would be abused to the nines by some owners in this league, while others would stand pat and continue to be losers because they have an equal part in revenue sharing.

Eddie

Reaction score
$110 mil cap sounds ridiculous. What's the point of having a cap if it's going to be so outrageous.

It started out at $36 mil. It forced teams to be fiscally and economically thoughtful. With a $110 mil cap, it's a free for all of spending. What's the point?

Teams can easily eat $20 mil in dead money and not even blink an eye.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
junk said:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The NFL is the model for professional sports leagues right now. I don't see anything that is so bad that it has to be fixed.
the only "model" it has is TV ratings and this is only because of the game itself, short season (16 games not 80 or 162) and dedicated "sunday"... not the cap, the union or leaders.

the cap system is horrendous with excessive loopholes and inability to compensate for injuries or having adequate backup talent.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Nothing has changed since the days of the $32 million cap. The cap is negotiated set percentage of NFL revenues. If its raised this much since the days of $32 million, its only because NFL revenues have skyrocketed in the last 10 years.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
chinch said:
the only "model" it has is TV ratings and this is only because of the game itself, short season (16 games not 80 or 162) and dedicated "sunday"... not the cap, the union or leaders.

the cap system is horrendous with excessive loopholes and inability to compensate for injuries or having adequate backup talent.

Your opinion, I guess.

The NBA cap is a mess. I wouldn't want the NFL anything like it. The cap has one "loophole" that I know of. LTBE incentives and they require fiscal cap management to even use it.

A well managed cap leaves plenty of room for depth. Are teams going to be able to "stash" potential starters on their team as depth? Nope, but there is nothing wrong with that. How would you like to be a starting caliber player chained to a team?

I'd love to hear how a well managed team fails to have room for depth. A team in cap hell? Maybe. Otherwise, no.

Verdict

Reaction score
SultanOfSix said:
LOL. What's the point of a salary cap, if you can pro-rate bonuses and salary spikes in later years counting on a hike in the salary cap every so often? It kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

Also, since when did a salary cap hike become about helping teams that do such things out because they are in "severe trouble" only because of themselves? Isn't it their problem that they didn't manage such a situation?

It seems like this discussion is going on to help certain owners out. ;) ;)

I'm sure this has been brought out before, but who is the young lady in your signature line?

Bullet22

Reaction score
let them get stripped like the Cowboys did...teams need to learn to manages their money better..

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I would never want the NBA's cap structure. The contracts are so ridiculous that so many players only last on a team for 1-2 years and then are traded so another team can take over their contract that the other team felt they couldn't afford to pay anymore.

The sad thing is that if anything, baseball and the NBA should have the hard cap and football should be the only sport with a "soft cap" given the extent of injuries in the respective sport.

Either way, the hard cap that the NFL has followed has worked far better than what MLB and the NBA has had over the past 10 years.

Rich...........

parchy

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
I would never want the NBA's cap structure. The contracts are so ridiculous that so many players only last on a team for 1-2 years and then are traded so another team can take over their contract that the other team felt they couldn't afford to pay anymore.

The sad thing is that if anything, baseball and the NBA should have the hard cap and football should be the only sport with a "soft cap" given the extent of injuries in the respective sport.

Either way, the hard cap that the NFL has followed has worked far better than what MLB and the NBA has had over the past 10 years.

Rich...........

That's not a product of the system, it's a product of NBA management not knowing what they're doing. NBA owners have (largely) done a terrible job of recruiting capable GM's and as a result, unknowledgable men are managing these teams.

For instance, these "ridiculous contracts" that force trades that you mention only happen en masse on a couple of teams, and ironically those are the teams with questionable management... the Knicks, Hawks, Celtics, T-Wolves... look at the teams who use the cap PURPOSEFULLY - teams like San Antonio, Detroit and Dallas. Here are teams that properly lock up their players and develop key role players around the stars.

Like I said, it's preference. If you liked the "old" NFL where the Cowboys benefitted by amazing drafts (I mean seriously, the Cowboys drafted Calvin Hill and Duane Thomas in consecutive years, and those two guys were the two best RB's in the league at the time... THAT'S scouting) and didn't have to worry about franchising a guy because he got greedy or whatever, then the soft cap is for you. Personally, I think non-guaranteed contracts are a joke.

Basically, the soft cap is drawing critics because of David Stern, not because of the system itself.

leotisbrown

Half Fast Analysis
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
Dan Snyder ===> :eek:hboy:

I hates up Dan Snyder's something feirce anyhtings bad for him is good for us.

I pray the Lord that hopefully he gets a big texas style butt whippin' and looses all his best players to the Boys cause he over the budgets for they players!!!

YAAAAYYYY!!!

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
Personally, I think they need to fix the rookie salary structure.

I think it should be locked in based on draft spot and the positiion you play. That way, there are no rookie hold-outs.....and they don't get stuck in anything longer than a 4 year deal.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Wheat said:
Personally, I think they need to fix the rookie salary structure.

I think it should be locked in based on draft spot and the positiion you play. That way, there are no rookie hold-outs.....and they don't get stuck in anything longer than a 4 year deal.

I agree completely!

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
We left $5M on table last 2 yaers.

Maybe this year we go get that last player or 2 to get our team out of alligater pools at FS, RT and RCB year before.....

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Nors said:

Maybe this year we go get that last player or 2 to get our team out of alligater pools at FS, RT and RCB year before.....

I'd try to explain this again....but its not worth it.

Spending cap money just to spend it is dumb cap management.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Nors said:

we do that just in case we want to extend contracts of certain players who perform admirably before they hit the open market

we do it every year, and we'll continue to do it, and it's a great cap strategy