Cap ramifications of tagging and trading Dak?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I keep telling these bozos that the Cowboys can't even try to initiate a trade until Prescott sign either his tag off or a long term contract. All the tag offer does is guarantee the Cowboys exclusive negotiating rights with Prescott. Only players who are actually under some kind of contract whether it's a tag offer or a long term contract can be traded or even initiate any trade talks.
Yeah I don't claim to be a salary cap wiz and unless I'm missing something I don't see what incentive Dak has to sign a contract and then go to a team that would have to trade draft capital for him.......why would he do it? Why not just with them outright? Out of the kindness of his heart? The Dak trade just seems like wishful thinking among a desperate fanbase lol.

Bigdog

Reaction score
You're thinking of the non-exclusive franchise tag that if another team makes an offer that the original team didn't match, the team that made the offer has to give up 2 first round picks. Trading a player there is no manditory picks other than what the two teams agree on.
Ok thanks

fivetwos

Reaction score
Please list all of those contracts that were restructured last year. Funny thing, not ha ha funny, that the Cowboys sat in cap he11 for 2 decades because of restructuring contracts every year until Stephen took over doing contracts and stopped that vicious cycle. Since then he's done it VERY sparingly. Most of that room on the cap was from not signing or letting player go to other teams or retiring in the case of Frederick. They let Witten, Olawale, Austin, Devin Smith, Charlton, Jones and probably a few more that I've forgotten to walk and go to other teams. Then they signed bargain basement players with cheap contracts that left what they have in cap space. That's why they have about 25 mil in carryover for this year.
At least Smith and Martin 2020 salaries were converted to bonus before the season began.

Thats without thinking about it or looking it up.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I think the bigger question is what incentive does Dak have to help the Cowboys out by doing a sign and trade with them when he's not under contract lol?
Because if Dallas tags him they would control his rights. If Dak doesn’t want to play for Dallas under the tag again, a tag-and-trade would prevent him from having to sit out a season.

I doubt very seriously this situation would occur but there would be benefit depending upon his mindset. Here is an article which shows some recent examples of tag-and-trades.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/14/nfl-rams-trade-dante-fowler-franchise-tag/

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
At least Smith and Martin 2020 salaries were converted to bonus before the season began.

Thats without thinking about it or looking it up.

Which Smith?: I just checked and Zack Martin did not have his contract restructured last season. he signed a new contract because his existing contract was going expire after the 2019 season. He signed that during the 2019 season. Want to make some more guesses?

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Because if Dallas tags him they would control his rights. If Dak doesn’t want to play for Dallas under the tag again, a tag-and-trade would prevent him from having to sit out a season.

I doubt very seriously this situation would occur but there would be benefit depending upon his mindset. Here is an article which shows some recent examples of tag-and-trades.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/14/nfl-rams-trade-dante-fowler-franchise-tag/

If they tagged him with that 38 million cap hit? You see them doing that this year?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nothing really but the relevant problem is it would have to be to a team Dak is okay with getting traded to. Dak can effectively veto whoever the trade partner is by simply not signing the tag (because he cant be traded) and the Cowboys would still be on the hook for the cost of his salary when it pertains to how they can structure deals. He waits until after the draft and suddenly there is little of value you can trade for and even if you do then you now have a bunch of cap space and no one to spend it on because all the top and mid tier FAs already signed.

I don't really think this is possible for Dak. If Dak doesn't sign his tag, then he's right back in the same situation, same number, next year. He's also another season away from playing football and a lot more to prove because he will have then sat 28 games without playing a down of football. How many teams would then be interested or as interested in paying him a premium contract for a QB who has been away from the game for so long and doesn't really have a history of success in post season?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If they tagged him with that 38 million cap hit? You see them doing that this year?

First off the tag amount is like 37.2 mil, just to clear that up. I think the chances of the Cowboys trading Prescott after he signs his tag offer, that is if they don't agree to a long term deal before needing the tag, the chances a so very very very slim that they would trade away the QB that they've been calling their franchise QB for two years, the QB that the entire team looks at as their leader.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Again this is one of those things that requires a timeline to discuss properly.

Dallas can tag Dak whenever they want but he controls when he signs his franchise tender.
If he waits they can not trade him.
An unsigned franchise player can have influence over his destination. Since a player with an unsigned tender can't be traded until under contract, he essentially has veto power on where he is being dealt or at all. This gives the player a de facto no-trade clause.
If Dak waits until July 15th the new team can not negotiate with him so he'd be paid 37.7M by a new team on a 1 year deal and he'd be an unrestricted free agent who could only be tagged at a price of ~50M.
So the ability to trade Dak wouldn't be a real issue, nor the cost to do so, but the return would be awful.
What would a team pay to have Dak for 1 year then start form scratch on a new deal? Possibly a lot but they'd have to have 37.7M in cap to even enter discussions.

And those pesky dates again.
The Draft is in April.
Dak has no reason to sign his tender before the Draft.
Meaning you'd be trading him for no draft return this year.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
First off the tag amount is like 37.2 mil, just to clear that up. I think the chances of the Cowboys trading Prescott after he signs his tag offer, that is if they don't agree to a long term deal before needing the tag, the chances a so very very very slim that they would trade away the QB that they've been calling their franchise QB for two years, the QB that the entire team looks at as their leader.
my man you gotta do better.
it's 37.7M
The math is 31.4M x 1.20 =37.68Million

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think the bigger question is what incentive does Dak have to help the Cowboys out by doing a sign and trade with them when he's not under contract lol?
A couple of of reasons
1) the new team might be a very desirable destination (contender, etc...say Indy)
2) the new team might offer him a contract that far exceeds what Dallas is offering

CowboysRule

Reaction score
The non-exclusive tag allows a player to negotiate contracts with another team. If a team offers a contract to that player the franchising team can match it or let the player go and receive two first round picks in return. This is not a trade.

With the exclusive tag that player cannot negotiate deals with another team. The Cowboys could negotiate a trade with another team assuming Dak signed the tag. I think that's where Dak's "veto" power comes in. If he for some reason hated a team he could just not sign the tag (even if they teams had worked out a deal) which would prevent him from being traded as he isn't under a contract at that point (though also not a FA).

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Write and by signs him you mean the team offers and Dak signs.
Dak has 100% control here.

First a player on non-exclusive franchise tag that has signed the offer sheet and then agrees to a long term contract from another team, that exact contract has to be presented to the team who assigned the tag and if they decline to match it the player then is required to sign that contract from the other team without any changes to the contract and the original team then automatically get 2 first round picks from the team that sign the player to a long term contract. Both teams have to submit the contracts to the league and it the signed contract is different in anyway the contract is voided and the player is sent back to the team that offered the tag. That has happened only once. It was later cleared up with the player signing the exact contract originally submitted for matching.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
A couple of of reasons
1) the new team might be a very desirable destination (contender, etc...say Indy)
2) the new team might offer him a contract that far exceeds what Dallas is offering

So why would he accept a sign and trade so that team can trade draft capital for him? I Just don't think this is even a option....and even if he sits out Cowboys are willing to have 38 million hit against their cap in hope of this?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I don't even think they can afford to...not literally but I mean as far building a team and giving him that 38 million.
Dallas has shown they can’t build a team even when they paid him $465k a year. Signing Dak or not will lead to the same disappointing results.