Cap Space as of June 1st - $20.4 million

J12B

Reaction score
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap

Over the cap has the Cowboys at $20.4 million in cap space now that the June 1st savings is available for Zeke.

Seems like we got room for 1 big signing left.

Jourdan Lewis is also a possible cut after training camp given there are no significant injuries in the CB room. That would create about $4.7 million.

We do have players to extend like Lamb and Diggs.

J12B

Reaction score
Omg, Dak’s contractbwill kill our cap.space. how are we gonna sign all these FAs and build a team.....

let's go.and get us some of these great FAs now...
Cowboys can get out of Dak's Contract next year if they want to start over at the position by making Dak a post June 1st cut similarly to what was done with Zeke this offseason. That would create $35 million in cap space.

Or, if Dak plays better than he did last year, and leads the team deep in the playoffs, the front office can extend him. Hopefully this is the case.

The front office could also move some cap around to those void years to create some space for next year and have Dak just play out his contract. There'd be a lot more dead money in either 2025 or 2026, but shouldn't be anything that significantly hurts the team in terms of cap space and acquiring/keeping talent.

The front office has done a great job managing the cap the last few years in my opinion (besides the Zeke contract).

Kwyn

Reaction score
CeeDee, Diggs, Kicker.

There goes most of it.

Injury replacements, practice squad elevations and a little holdback for Micah’s record contact next year takes the rest.

Unfortunately, any “big signing” means we end up losing high quality players.

Just have to decide if any one big signee is going to be worth a playoff win by themselves cause they will pretty much be the bar for success on that kind of spend right now.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t see any big signings, the 20m will roll over to next year or be used for emergency if they are in the running for the playoffs.
I agree. I do not see anything huge happening at this point. They will be content going into TC as is, except for a few bottom roster churning Such as another K.
One of the DB's or WR's will be let go to make room.

Unless they get a cap friendly deal done with Lamb or Diggs. I can't see either of those until right before the season starts.

If CB looks strong, and Lewis not recovered from his injury, they could release him to create even more room. But right now they would need to reach an injury settlement. So they will wait until he is cleared for practice.

Any other signings will be because of necessity from injuries and or trades.

The cap is expected to increase about $34 million or about that for 2024. With Dak's cap hit of $59 million. I am sure they would like $54 million to see what needs to be done. Not sure how much more they can from other players. Also Pollard counts as $10 million this year, and will be a FA again next year. They should let him test FA, well, depends upon his year. But that is a lot for a RB according to many on here. Especially for a RB that can't carry the load.

kevm3

Reaction score
I don’t see any big signings, the 20m will roll over to next year or be used for emergency if they are in the running for the playoffs.
And yet they are going to wonder why we are losing against teams who are instead going 'all-in'. This penny pinching, conservative approach is why. You're not going to win being cheap in this modern cap restricted era

Qcard

Reaction score
yOu cAn'T bUiLd a COmPeTITiVE tEAm wITH Dak CONtract...

Dak Haters are Mouth Breathers Only!!! :laugh: :muttley:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Cowboys can get out of Dak's Contract next year if they want to start over at the position by making Dak a post June 1st cut similarly to what was done with Zeke this offseason. That would create $35 million in cap space.

Or, if Dak plays better than he did last year, and leads the team deep in the playoffs, the front office can extend him. Hopefully this is the case.

The front office could also move some cap around to those void years to create some space for next year and have Dak just play out his contract. There'd be a lot more dead money in either 2025 or 2026, but shouldn't be anything that significantly hurts the team in terms of cap space and acquiring/keeping talent.

The front office has done a great job managing the cap the last few years in my opinion (besides the Zeke contract).
I posted it as a sarcasm. every summer we hear this cap space thing and we can't sign anybody and we are getting killed in FA. yet, last year we had 20M in cap space. this year we still have 20M in cap space. so false narrative and complaining on a few people's part. my point is not defending Dak as a player, but this contract bullshiet some cling to.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They're gonna keep that cap bankroll and it will be fatter come next spring when we cut the Dak fat.
Remember no one has rushed to extend inepto Prescott.........
Why is that??????????????????????????????????????????? :eek:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Like all teams. As long as you stay away from the big contracts for free agents who aren’t worth it and are nearing the end, you can pay your stars. With your own stars you can structure those big second and third contracts in a way to stagger the big pay years and keep most of them happy. I seriously doubt that anyone who exclaims “we won’t be able to sign our stars” actually has a full understanding of the cap, the contracts, the flexibility involved or the economics. I know I don’t.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dalvin Cook is not a FA yet. but I wouldn't mind getting him. and dumping Jones.
Trade a 5th and 7th from the 2024 draft, then, and renegotiate his contract for a consideration of allowing Pollard go next season, or invest in a quality runner in 2024.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap

Over the cap has the Cowboys at $20.4 million in cap space now that the June 1st savings is available for Zeke.

Seems like we got room for 1 big signing left.

Jourdan Lewis is also a possible cut after training camp given there are no significant injuries in the CB room. That would create about $4.7 million.

We do have players to extend like Lamb and Diggs.

we are not signing anyone new. we are going to use the money to extend Dak and get next years cap number down to front load pollard and digs next contract so we can do parsons 2 years later.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Trade a 5th and 7th from the 2024 draft, then, and renegotiate his contract for a consideration of allowing Pollard go next season, or invest in a quality runner in 2024.
I think Cook is a one year, or at most two year rental. I am an advocate of not giving RBs large second contracts and then just draft one as their learning curve is fast and can be very productive very quickly. most teams have a RB by committee anyway.

I know it would be over kill, but get cook, get hopkins, sign risner and go all in this year. if it doesn't work, then they were all short term rentals and you move on. I know its a fantasy, but hey one can have fantasy

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think Cook is a one year, or at most two year rental. I am an advocate of not giving RBs large second contracts and then just draft one as their learning curve is fast and can be very productive very quickly. most teams have a RB by committee anyway.

I know it would be over kill, but get cook, get hopkins, sign risner and go all in this year. if it doesn't work, then they were all short term rentals and you move on. I know its a fantasy, but hey one can have fantasy
A draft pick could be paired with the next draft to continue running back progression. Two years on Cook...agreed and then see from there.

Natural cap increase could pay for the position next year.