Cap Space as of June 1st - $20.4 million

blueblood70

Reaction score
good to have insurance no need for an early move, you get through TC and most of the PS games and if you have major injury somewhere, you have the resources you replace that player.,., no need right now to go out and spend it.. i don't use 90% of my CC availability but of course if i was a cowboys fan, lets max it out Lol YOLO!

blueblood70

Reaction score
Cowboys can get out of Dak's Contract next year if they want to start over at the position by making Dak a post June 1st cut similarly to what was done with Zeke this offseason. That would create $35 million in cap space.

Or, if Dak plays better than he did last year, and leads the team deep in the playoffs, the front office can extend him. Hopefully this is the case.

The front office could also move some cap around to those void years to create some space for next year and have Dak just play out his contract. There'd be a lot more dead money in either 2025 or 2026, but shouldn't be anything that significantly hurts the team in terms of cap space and acquiring/keeping talent.

The front office has done a great job managing the cap the last few years in my opinion (besides the Zeke contract).
yet a huge dead cap hit , not that simple..

oh and we are replacing him with who Sam Darnold, baker, bottom 22 type? :lmao: ?? a high risk low reward rookie lmao ok sure lets tank that year just to save little money. qbs are easy to replace a i mean top 10 guy waiting in the wings.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
If we're not extending Lamb or Diggs this year, why not go for a 1 year 15-20M type deal with a FA?

I would extend Lamb now to make use of that $, otherwise it wouldn't hurt at all to throw the money at DHOP or another splash player for a 1 year rental...can always get a comp pick if we can't re-sign them, etc.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yet a huge dead cap hit , not that simple..

oh and we are replacing him with who Sam Darnold, baker, bottom 22 type? :lmao: ?? a high risk low reward rookie lmao ok sure lets tank that year just to save little money. qbs are easy to replace a i mean top 10 guy waiting in the wings.
If they were interested in moving on from Dak, you would have thought they'd have drafted someone this year. Of course, there's the '24 draft to consider, but I don't really get the feeling they're done with Dak.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Cowboys will sit on that money like they do every year. Very unlikely they use it on a premier free agent.

Diggs extension is a possibility this summer and they could front-load it, or they could sign guys like Peters, Hilton or Zeke to one year deals.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they were interested in moving on from Dak, you would have thought they'd have drafted someone this year. Of course, there's the '24 draft to consider, but I don't really get the feeling they're done with Dak.
The Cowboys view him as a franchise QB that they can win a super bowl with.

Until that changes, you won't see any serious effort or resources be put into the QB position.

blueblood70

Reaction score
so draft one its automatic huh? i can list 20 teams that will say otherwise. many give up and go get a dak, Watson., cousins, Wilson, rogers or other at steep trade price because finding one in the draft easily not #1 overall is crapshoot.. that's the point. its why Daniel jones got 42mil LOL why dont they move on? Daks for sure better then jones but they paid him anyway,. same with retreads i mentioned ie sam, baker, and others like wentz always getting another shot.. you all want a Brissett type and even a player like him is tough to hit on first try,

reality in the nfl; good qbs are hard find, great qbs tougher, and elite is the unicorn pick and typically you have to be BAD for years picking top 3 to hit on one. Cleveland had like 10 years with 2-3 first round picks and still couldn't get one and ended up getting fleeced for Watson.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Until that changes, you won't see any serious effort or resources be put into the QB position.
serious like other teams looking for decade for payer even on daks level..sure that reality or NOT.

so draft one its automatic huh? i can list 20 teams that will say otherwise. many give up and go get a dak, Watson., cousins, Wilson, rogers or other at steep trade price because finding one in the draft easily not #1 overall is crapshoot.. that's the point. its why Daniel jones got 42mil LOL

why dont they move on? Daks for sure better than jones but they paid him anyway, same with retreads i mentioned ie sam, baker, and others like wentz always getting another shot.. you all want a Brissett/Tyrod type and even a player like him is tough to hit on first try,

reality in the nfl; good qbs are hard find, great qbs tougher, and elite is the unicorn pick and typically you have to be BAD for years picking top 3 to hit on one. Cleveland had like 10 years with 2-3 first round picks and still couldn't get one and ended up getting fleeced for Watson.

Adreme

Reaction score
Sounds like more than it really is. After the extensions up coming the picture will change. Plus kicker.

Side note - the salary cap is going up next year!
The extensions, given that they are extensions, shouldn’t change much. Diggs won’t take effect for 2 years. Dak won’t retake effect for 3 years. Micah don’t be until next offseason and won’t kick in until 4 years from now. Lamb is also 3 years.

Basically while they could front load these for some unknown reason there is little reason to believe that they would affect cap space this year.

John813

Reaction score
I'd assume they want to roll over a good amount of that to next year.

Signing bonus would hit right away. So, if they re-signed Diggs to a 5 year deal next month, the new prorated bonus would hit this year. The 5th year of the extension would have no prorated bonus cap hit as it's only over 5 years, including existing contract years.
The extensions, given that they are extensions, shouldn’t change much. Diggs won’t take effect for 2 years. Dak won’t retake effect for 3 years. Micah don’t be until next offseason and won’t kick in until 4 years from now. Lamb is also 3 years.

Basically while they could front load these for some unknown reason there is little reason to believe that they would affect cap space this year.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

^ Exactly.

Jerry Jones has demonstrated this philosophy throughout his entire general manager tenure. 34 years. It is way past time, for some folks on the outside the front office looking in, to comprehend this.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so draft one its automatic huh? i can list 20 teams that will say otherwise. many give up and go get a dak, Watson., cousins, Wilson, rogers or other at steep trade price because finding one in the draft easily not #1 overall is crapshoot.. that's the point. its why Daniel jones got 42mil LOL why dont they move on? Daks for sure better then jones but they paid him anyway,. same with retreads i mentioned ie sam, baker, and others like wentz always getting another shot.. you all want a Brissett type and even a player like him is tough to hit on first try,

Please reread my post. My statement was that if they were moving on from Dak, we'd already be seeing signs, which we haven't. Geez

Swagger

Reaction score
They're gonna keep that cap bankroll and it will be fatter come next spring when we cut the Dak fat.
Remember no one has rushed to extend inepto Prescott.........
Why is that??????????????????????????????????????????? :eek:
Yep. The front office are done with Dak Bortles.

Just one more season of watching that clown show at QB.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Puts a lot of gas in the yacht
giphy.gif

conner01

Reaction score
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap

Over the cap has the Cowboys at $20.4 million in cap space now that the June 1st savings is available for Zeke.

Seems like we got room for 1 big signing left.

Jourdan Lewis is also a possible cut after training camp given there are no significant injuries in the CB room. That would create about $4.7 million.

We do have players to extend like Lamb and Diggs.

His name is Lamb