Cardinals Had To Add 4 Hours Of "Independent Study" Per Game Week To Kyler Murrays Contract

jwitten82

Reaction score
Watching ESPN right now, and they're saying that clause has been removed from his contract.
That's stupid if true. It's already out there, if they really feel Murray needs to spend more time doing independent study then just leave it in there. It's not gonna change the publics perception of Murray, people are now gonna question his work ethic and the Cardinals have nobody to blame but themselves.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
That's stupid if true. It's already out there, if they really feel Murray needs to spend more time doing independent study then just leave it in there. It's not gonna change the publics perception of Murray, people are now gonna question his work ethic and the Cardinals have nobody to blame but themselves.

The whole thing is weird. They remove it, Kyler is pissed people know. Don't agree to things you don't like. Pretty simple.

jwitten82

Reaction score
The whole thing is weird. They remove it, Kyler is pissed people know. Don't agree to things you don't like. Pretty simple.
It's dumb on their, why piss off your star player after handing him an enormous contract? There's no way they didn't think this would cause controversy if released.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's dumb on their, why piss off your star player after handing him an enormous contract? There's no way they didn't think this would cause controversy if released.
I don't imagine they planned on it being publicized, but if they did, maybe they were trying to light a fire under him.

GINeric

Reaction score
They will put anything in contracts that seemed pretty absurd to some. I think Ben Rothensburgh had in his contract that he couldn’t ride motorcycles. I remember another guy had in his that he couldn’t go skiing- cross country that is.

Actually teams been putting those types of "non risk" clauses in for years.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
He likely would put some netflix on and just eat some popcorn and call it 4 hour of study time.

cowboyed

Reaction score
I guess he was doing his film study in Madden instead, since they had to literally put in his contract that he couldn't play video games while he "studies".
Don't be so hard on him. It was either that or he would have to commute to Kindergarden at at local elementary school.

kskboys

Reaction score
Even dumber on his part. Why did it make him so mad? Him getting all worked up makes me think it's needed.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Even dumber on his part. Why did it make him so mad? Him getting all worked up makes me think it's needed.
I obviously don't know if it was warranted to put the clause in, but if not, I could definitely see him getting angry about it. It would be like my company making me sign something that says I'll learn how to get to all my deliveries. (Not the best analogy, but our jobs are too different to come up with an appropriate one.)

Reid1boys

Reaction score
They will put anything in contracts that seemed pretty absurd to some. I think Ben Rothensburgh had in his contract that he couldn’t ride motorcycles. I remember another guy had in his that he couldn’t go skiing- cross country that is.

They didnt put those clauses in those contracts for no reason.

They obviously have serious issues with Murray's dedication. Was listening to Chris Simms, and he was talking about how a QB would hit that 4 hour minimum on the first day or 2nd at latest of the week and not think twice. Then might go home and kick in some more film after dinner.

I cant wait to see Payton and Eli do a cards game and hear their thoughts on this contract. I wonder if Peyton got his 4 hours of study time in per week.

Flamma

Reaction score
I obviously don't know if it was warranted to put the clause in, but if not, I could definitely see him getting angry about it. It would be like my company making me sign something that says I'll learn how to get to all my deliveries. (Not the best analogy, but our jobs are too different to come up with an appropriate one.)

He's acting like a little kid. Don't sign the contract if you don't like it. He's mad that it got out. He got a 230M dollar contract and feels disrespected due to a clause? Laugh it off or just shut up, don't embarrass yourself with a speech.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He's acting like a little kid. Don't sign the contract if you don't like it. He's mad that it got out. He got a 230M dollar contract and feels disrespected due to a clause? Laugh it off or just shut up, don't embarrass yourself with a speech.
There was a speech?

Flamma

Reaction score
Well, apparently it was a very moving speech, because it's been reported that the clause was removed.:laugh:

Of course it has been removed. I just removed my black hat. See how that works?

He actually did give a compelling argument. The thing is, did he really need to do that?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Of course it has been removed. I just removed my black hat. See how that works?

He actually did give a compelling argument. The thing is, did he really need to do that?
No, I agree, he shouldn't have done it. But it never should have gone public in the first place, unless their plan was to shame him.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
What a joke. Cards can remove the clause after the fact, but you cant remove the fact that you have already shown your cards. They clearly believe Murray is immature and doesnt put in the film time. Murray even stated as much last year. Now the Cards think removing this clause will end all of the distractions that the clause created. lol... wrong, this is going to be a story for a while and will likely linger every time Murray has a bad game.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/29/sport/kyler-murray-contract-arizona-cardinals-nfl-spt-intl/index.html

Reid1boys

Reaction score
No, I agree, he shouldn't have done it. But it never should have gone public in the first place, unless their plan was to shame him.

If I pay someone 260 million dollars, I dont care if he was embarrassed. He obviously created this situation. I dont remember ever seeing this in some other QBs contract.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If I pay someone 260 million dollars, I dont care if he was embarrassed. He obviously created this situation. I dont remember ever seeing this in some other QBs contract.
Maybe it's been in some, but just not made public. There have probably been potentially more embarrassing clauses in player contracts that we've never heard of.

I'm not saying the clause was unnecessary, I don't know if it was or not. All I'm saying is it should've been kept private, unless he chose to share it.

kskboys

Reaction score
If they were offering you 46 mil per year, you would have no problem w/ it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!