Career win percentage among starting NFL QBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qcard

Reaction score
I think this is a thread that proves the axiom "There's Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics".
I'm all in with Dak because, he's done us all proud in everyway except championships.
Saying that, Dak does have a concerning trend.
When trailing after 3 quarters with Dak under center, the Cowboys are 5 wins and 18 losses. Which isn't brutal. It's 21.7% and 29.1% is what the couple dozen of elite QBs I checked. Eli Manning was 14.1%
When trailing after Halftime with Dak under center, the Cowboys are 5 wins and 21 losses. However, this is more concerning. Dak is about 19.2% and the elite come in at 40.1%
However, as the 3rd quarter stats tell you, Eli was the worst QB I checked when losing after 3 quarters but, he won 2 Super Bowls against the cheating Patriots.
To me stats don't really mean much. PFF is the biggest joke in sports. They grade players without knowing what the player is being asked to do. Sure they can read the scheme and
give a guess at the player's assignment but, they can't be positive. Grading players in a vacuum on every play without considering his assignment or the players surrounding him is a
fools errand.
Great Post!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think this is a thread that proves the axiom "There's Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics".
I'm all in with Dak because, he's done us all proud in everyway except championships.
Saying that, Dak does have a concerning trend.
When trailing after 3 quarters with Dak under center, the Cowboys are 5 wins and 18 losses. Which isn't brutal. It's 21.7% and 29.1% is what the couple dozen of elite QBs I checked. Eli Manning was 14.1%
When trailing after Halftime with Dak under center, the Cowboys are 5 wins and 21 losses.

I didn't notice it at first read but something about your numbers make ZERO sense here. Dak has been credited with 9 4th quarter comebacks in his career. Unless they have moved the 4th quarter to the first half that would seem to indicate that the WORST he could be when trailing after halftime is 9 and something.. Maybe your statistics are part of that "damn lies" you spoke of? Where did you get your numbers?

Last edited:

Qcard

Reaction score
Ok

So you're saying that if the defense grew a pair and held Cleveland to say 30? the offense would not have scored more than 30? Are you claiming that if the offense had stopped the Seahawks after the Cowboys took the lead with 4 minutes left that would have made no difference? I'm sorry I cannot go there with you. It ALL matters.. Every score the defense surrenders matters just like every 3 and out the offense puts up or every turnover matters. The job of the offense is to score.. the job of the defense is to get stops. If the offense scores 5 times but the defense allowed the opponent to score 6 times then the defense cost us the game. The order in which it happens is only marginally important. If people refuse to accept the offense "only showing up in the 4th quarter" then why is it okay for the defense to "only show up in the 4th quarter?" If the offense can only score against teams playing soft why cant I say the defense only gets stops when the other team takes its foot off the gas? Shouldn't it work both ways? Play well the whole damn game.. That's what good teams do.. History has shown me that more often than not, the offense will eventually figure out the favorable matchups and open up a can on the opposing defense. Now no one will get an argument from me that they need to get there a lot quicker but the pattern is clear. Aside from games where a savvy old DC undressed our boy wonder OC the offense has been able to find its rhythm at some point.

The numbers say Prescott has 15 4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives ion his career. You get a 4th quarter comeback if you come from behind to win and a game winning drive if you lead the winning drive when behind or tied .. Dak had 14 of those in his first three seasons in the league.. The most in NFL history for the first three years of a QB's career. To me that's not something to just gloss over. With all the great QBs that have played this game.. for him to have been the best ever at bringing his team back over his first three seasons is huge. Again not fitting him for his gold jacket.. but that's pretty heady stuff. I also believe over that span he was #1 in the league for 4th quarter comebacks not for guys starting their career.. but for everybody.. All QBs.. I put the fact that those achievements have tailed off in the last two seasons squarely on the OC. His play calling at the beginning of games and in the red zone THROUGHOUT the games has been horrendous. There is no other way to characterize it. I can't believe he will be allowed to squander so many scoring opportunities down close this season .. I have to believe McCarthy will take away his playsheet if he starts that crap again.. If he doesn't, then they'll both get fired.. and deservedly so.
Fantastic Post!

I applaud your effort but the Dak Haters will die on that island or any Goal post of their choice. I’ve debated with their ilk for decades.

carry on sir!

Qcard

Reaction score
You may wanna rethink cosigning this.. Dak has had 9 4th quarter comebacks in his career. The 4th quarter comes after the 3rd quarter in the league I watch.. though I cannot speak for the one yall watch.
I don’t agree with every post I like.

Though I don’t agree with that post it was well thought out post.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I don’t agree with every post I like.

Though I don’t agree with that post it was well thought out post.

Maybe it was well thought out but what was the aim? It was built upon a blatant and easily debunked falsehood. So why post it? Just to see if he can get a bunch of people to argue about it while he sits back and laughs?

Qcard

Reaction score
Maybe it was well thought out but what was the aim? It was built upon a blatant and easily debunked falsehood. So why post it? Just to see if he can get a bunch of people to argue about it while he sits back and laughs?
I don’t know the aim. Yes, all the Dak Hating falsehoods have been debunk. They post because this is forum and even nonsense is allowed.
You are a doing great job but I’ll give about another season before you realize these Dak Haters are a hopeless cause.
It’s really not that hard if the really don’t like Dak Prescott go support the Colts for 4 seasons and then return. Many of Tom Landry fans left.....Some just recently won a Super Bowl with the original Texans:muttley:

Clarke82

Reaction score
I didn't notice it at first read but something about your numbers make ZERO sense here. Dak has been credited with 9 4th quarter comebacks in his career. Unless they have moved the 4th quarter to the first half that would seem to indicate that the WORST he could be when trailing after halftime is 9 and something.. Maybe your statistics are part of that "damn lies" you spoke of? Where did you get your numbers?
I apologize, for not being clearer, 4 of the games the Cowboys were leading heading into the 4th quarter and lost the lead before he brought the Cowboys back.
Which brings me back to my main point. Statistics are untrustworthy.

Last edited:

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Anyone into stats have the top 10 touchdowns to INT ratio amongst current starting quarterbacks?

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Yep.....

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dak vs. Philly 12/22/19

25 of 44 56.8% Comp % 265 Yards 0 TD's 1 Carry 7 Yards QBR 39.7 Managed to only get Dallas into range for 3 FG's

Not exactly stepping up in a win and in game.
Yeah but it’s not choking either. Just because a quarterback doesn’t have a great game do you think they choke.Maybe it had something to do with not having the starting center wide receiver toilet in running back in turmoil. Yeah it’s all Prescott. Do you know how ignorant that is.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Ok

So you're saying that if the defense grew a pair and held Cleveland to say 30? the offense would not have scored more than 30? Are you claiming that if the offense had stopped the Seahawks after the Cowboys took the lead with 4 minutes left that would have made no difference? I'm sorry I cannot go there with you. It ALL matters.. Every score the defense surrenders matters just like every 3 and out the offense puts up or every turnover matters. The job of the offense is to score.. the job of the defense is to get stops. If the offense scores 5 times but the defense allowed the opponent to score 6 times then the defense cost us the game. The order in which it happens is only marginally important. If people refuse to accept the offense "only showing up in the 4th quarter" then why is it okay for the defense to "only show up in the 4th quarter?" If the offense can only score against teams playing soft why cant I say the defense only gets stops when the other team takes its foot off the gas? Shouldn't it work both ways? Play well the whole damn game.. That's what good teams do.. History has shown me that more often than not, the offense will eventually figure out the favorable matchups and open up a can on the opposing defense. Now no one will get an argument from me that they need to get there a lot quicker but the pattern is clear. Aside from games where a savvy old DC undressed our boy wonder OC the offense has been able to find its rhythm at some point.

The numbers say Prescott has 15 4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives ion his career. You get a 4th quarter comeback if you come from behind to win and a game winning drive if you lead the winning drive when behind or tied .. Dak had 14 of those in his first three seasons in the league.. The most in NFL history for the first three years of a QB's career. To me that's not something to just gloss over. With all the great QBs that have played this game.. for him to have been the best ever at bringing his team back over his first three seasons is huge. Again not fitting him for his gold jacket.. but that's pretty heady stuff. I also believe over that span he was #1 in the league for 4th quarter comebacks not for guys starting their career.. but for everybody.. All QBs.. I put the fact that those achievements have tailed off in the last two seasons squarely on the OC. His play calling at the beginning of games and in the red zone THROUGHOUT the games has been horrendous. There is no other way to characterize it. I can't believe he will be allowed to squander so many scoring opportunities down close this season .. I have to believe McCarthy will take away his playsheet if he starts that crap again.. If he doesn't, then they'll both get fired.. and deservedly so.

Context: 4th quarter comebacks by Dak Prescott in his career per season:

2016: 5
2017: 0
2018: 3
2019: 0
2020: 1

So he actually has had 9 career 4th quarter comebacks with 8 of the 9 coming in his first 3 years. He has a combined 15 4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives and they are by season:

2016: 5
2017: 4 (all game winning drives)
2018: 5
2019: 0
2020: 1

Much like the team record as Dak as starting QB (13-3 in 2016 and 29-24 ever since) he may have started strong but other than personal stats what has he done lately?

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Stats, especially caerer stats for comparison have minimum number of throws or games played to be counted in comparison so not to have a QB like Tua Tagovailoa and all of 9 games being compared to QB's with 50, 60, 80 or100's of games played. It's a heck of a lot easier to have high averages with fewer units to average than a vast number of units. if Goff's stats are right then Prescott is sti8ll in the top 10.

As I previously stated that is not how the OP qualified the list.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Yet you have NO problem being an incessant blow hard..... gotcha.

So that is your contribution to this thread and group? You take the time to insult someone without adding anything of worth to thread? Got it, well thanks for your contribution and your Participation Trophy is in the mail.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
No. Just curious as to the emotional level of posters who post like they're 6.

I am amazed, most times.

Nice try on it went over my head schtick......ain't my first rodeo, Hoss.

So you question the emotional level of posters immediately after name calling me? Please explain how you equate those two contradictory things? I will wait........

Status
Not open for further replies.