Carlos Polk And Holland... Why Did Cowboys Bring Them Here?

jamesdojr

Reaction score
forget it. I got lamblasted about how Wade knows more than me, blah blah blah.... We shouldn't question Wade, blah blah blah

Doesn't make sense that holland didn't see the field and it never will. Holland fits our style of Olineman to a "T". He's better than Proctor hands down.

The most rediculous argument I got was from someone who insisted Holland came in specifically to backup Proctor. So we traded a draft pick for a backup of a backup who we knew couldn't beat out one of our backups?????????????????????????????????

Not getting Holland in there is incompetence.

This is the same incompetence as Wade NOT addressing the attitude of the team at the beginning of the season and instead denying and making excuses.

This is the same incompetence as Wade and the team not getting a decent backup QB. At least one that can play a little.

This is the same incompetence as Garrett not giving Felix a single carry last time we played Washington.

This is the same incompetence as the coaching staff not getting the ball to T.O. all season. Teams get their playmakers open.

This is the same incompetence as using Roy Williams part time for the last 3 weeks. How complicated is it to run a pattern?

This is the same incompetence as Wade forgetting all week to see if Romo could take a snap from the Center prior to the Rams game and ended up finding out an hour before kickoff instead.

I just want to vomit with this team sometimes.

The only hope now is that Dallas opens it up this week and just comes together out of nowhere for no reason. I guess we'll see how bad these guys want it this weekend. We'll see.

The funniest quote I ever heard in football was from Brett Favre. He walked over to a teammate (Olineman) during a game and noticed that the Oline Coach was standing there. He told the Olineman outloud so that the Oline coach could hear it, "good job, way to overcome your coaching".

The irony is, the Dallas players this year are going to have to overcome their coaching.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2413784 said:
I was just checking our roster and the first thing that I noticed as I scanned players was Montrae Holland and Carlos Polk caught my eye.

Then I see that the Cowboys are interested in six defensive players. They are looking at CB's and LB's. Why? They just got Carlos Polk, who the Cowboys speak highly of. Why bring a guy in if you are not going to use him?

Earlier in the season, the Cowboys make a trade with Denver to get Montrae Holland. Why? Why get a guy if you don't use him? Holland, IMO, was worth trading for should've been put out there in place of Proctor. Holland at 6'2 and 322LB's would've added size and some experience to a O-line that has been struggling.

BTW, the Cowboys picked up CB Butler(Can't think of his whole name) because of depth issues.

I question the Cowboys thought process here. Maybe they are just adding depth but if that is the case than why not call up a guy from the practice squad? At least that player has been here since camp.

I know that most don't want Ty Law but I would've taken him over anybody that is left on the free agent market.

So I ask, why did the Cowboys bring in Holland and Polk?

Fixed.

Primetime42

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2413798 said:
I meant to say Carlos Polk not Carlos Rogers!!! We broght Polk in right after the TB game.
Polk played in the TB game.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Primetime42;2413947 said:
Polk played in the TB game.

he sure did, he had the crowd going and he forced the fumble to start the third qtr.

Primetime42

Reaction score
theebs;2413948 said:
he sure did, he had the crowd going and he forced the fumble to start the third qtr.
Glad I was there is all I can say.

I had just gotten back to my seat from one of the concession stands when that play happened.

I was frantically asking people "What just happened?!"

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Dallas brought in 6 scrubs for workouts. Only guy who could probably compete is FS Stuart Schwiget.

Even Daren Stone is more talented than the guys they brought in. If they are looking for former Jets, why not Justin Miller instead of Victor Hobson? Hobson is a journeyman in this league.

Bringing in Polk, and even Butler, was actually smart. They have both have experience in the system, so you can plug and play. Holland is a head scratcher, he has never played in Houck's system. Dallas would have been better off finding guys who have not only played in Houck's system, but shined in that system. Guys like former 2nd rounder Toniu Fonoti (6'4 380). He was on the all rookie team under Houck's tuteledge. He has struggled with his weight the last few years and shuffled from team to team. But he is a helluva a lot more valuable in a pinch to fill in on the OL, not only has he succeeded in Houck's system (so he knows the terminology and schemes) but he has the tangibles (size & strength) and intangibles (nasty attitude). Probably a better short term guy than "gotta figure the OL scheme first" Holland.

If the Cowboys are serious about acquiring some talent, then raid the PS on some good deep teams_not have try outs for off the street scrubs. The guys they brought in are mostly first week, or earlier, cuts. Talk about gutless, and brainless. If you are going to change, look for impactful changes. Take a chance on guys who can develop into STARTERS, like they did w/Columbo.

Cowboys should have signed former first day picks (but injured) OL Charles Spencer (6'5 350) and DE/OLB Dan Bazuin (6'3 265 4.6) and put them on IR for next season. It's too late to sign Spencer (Jax picked him up) but Bazuin is still out there.

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2413784 said:
I was just checking our roster and the first thing that I noticed as I scanned players was Montrae Holland and Carlos Polk caught my eye.

Then I see that the Cowboys are interested in six defensive players. They are looking at CB's and LB's. Why? They just got Carlos Polk, who the Cowboys speak highly of. Why bring a guy in if you are not going to use him?

Earlier in the season, the Cowboys make a trade with Denver to get Montrae Holland. Why? Why get a guy if you don't use him? Holland, IMO, was worth trading for should of been put out there in place of Proctor. Holland at 6'2 and 322LB's would of added size and some experience to a O-line that has been struggling.

BTW, the Cowboys picked up CB Butler(Can't think of his whole name) because of depth issues.

I question the Cowboys thought process here. Maybe they are just adding depth but if that is the case than why not call up a guy from the practice squad? At least that player has been here since camp.

I know that most don't want Ty Law but I would of taken him over anybody that is left on the free agent market.

So I ask, why did the Cowboys bring in Holland and Polk?

Have you watched the games?

Polk and Keith Davis are the lone bright spots on Punt and Kickoff Coverage.

I watch them intently to see Bobby get blown up, see his inability to shed a block and watch him jump on the pile. Polk is CONSISTENTLY sticking his nose where he should be and making the tackle.

Duh...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
All 53 guys on the roster should be contributing All Pro caliber effort every single play of their stay in Dallas, never be injured, and never be developing. They should simply be the cream of the crop no questions asked. Even if they were taken from another teams waiver or we traded for them, once they are here they need to step up to legend status. Once here they should automatically know the playbook backwards and forwards and sideways. Every play we should be rotating 11 guys in and out on both sides of the ball because they are all so good they should all have equal playing time.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2414078 said:
All 53 guys on the roster should be contributing All Pro caliber effort every single play of their stay in Dallas, never be injured, and never be developing. They should simply be the cream of the crop no questions asked. Even if they were taken from another teams waiver or we traded for them, once they are here they need to step up to legend status. Once here they should automatically know the playbook backwards and forwards and sideways. Every play we should be rotating 11 guys in and out on both sides of the ball because they are all so good they should all have equal playing time.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

One can dream :D

joseephuss

Reaction score
I thought both guys were brought in to be back ups. So far both have done just that and both have also seen some playing time.

Holland was brought in to back up both guard spots since they knew Kosier was already out and were having to use Proctor. I guess the assumption was that he was brought in to start by some people. He cost a 5th rounder in 2010. How many starters are found in the 5th round much less in the 5th round in two years from now?

Polk was also brought in to help solidify the special teams and he has done well in that role. I wish the rest of the coverage guys played at his level.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
joseephuss;2414105 said:
I thought both guys were brought in to be back ups. So far both have done just that and both have also seen some playing time.

Holland was brought in to back up both guard spots since they knew Kosier was already out and were having to use Proctor. I guess the assumption was that he was brought in to start by some people. He cost a 5th rounder in 2010. How many starters are found in the 5th round much less in the 5th round in two years from now?

Polk was also brought in to help solidify the special teams and he has done well in that role. I wish the rest of the coverage guys played at his level.

I think the problem people are having with Holland is that He can't beat out Proctor? Proctor hasn't played well at all to say the least....I'm pretty sure a lawn chair folds less than Proctor.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
joseephuss;2414105 said:

Oh sure, introduce logic into the equation.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2414106 said:
I think the problem people are having with Holland is that He can't beat out Proctor? Proctor hasn't played well at all to say the least....I'm pretty sure a lawn chair folds less than Proctor.
Holland has been working out at RG not LG.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2414109 said:
Holland has been working out at RG not LG.

Oh I kind of assumed that they wanted him or LG and not RG since they made the trade after Koiser got injured...Oh well I guess thats what I get for assuming....

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
As I posted last week.....Talkin Cowboys reported that Holland has some clause in his contract that triggers 1M guarantee if his playing time were to go above a certain amount. That is really why he is not playing. And they say he is none to happy about that. So with that knowledge, I am going to assume that he was brought here just in case Procter completley fell on his face...and I guess this staff does not feel as if Procter has completley fallen on his face.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
bbailey423;2414144 said:
As I posted last week.....Talkin Cowboys reported that Holland has some clause in his contract that triggers 1M guarantee if his playing time were to go above a certain amount. That is really why he is not playing. And they say he is none to happy about that. So with that knowledge, I am going to assume that he was brought here just in case Procter completley fell on his face...and I guess this staff does not feel as if Procter has completley fallen on his face.

care to provided that statement with a link sorry if I don't take what you say at face value.

burmafrd

Reaction score
That is BS. 1 Million is not that much and with the troubles we are having on the O line I seriously doubt that would matter. It seems to me that either Holland is a bust or the coaching staff is afraid to play him and take a chance.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I thought Polk was brought in pretty much to do nothing more than play special teams. I don't think he was ever going to be used to heavily on defense.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2414214 said:
I thought Polk was brought in pretty much to do nothing more than play special teams. I don't think he was ever going to be used to heavily on defense.

Yeah IDK if the OP knows who Carlos Polk is.