Carolina Panthers vs Denver Broncos Superbowl 50 Game Thread

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I'm amazed in looking at this Broncos team. The people involved at all levels - Elway as GM, Kubiak as head coach, Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator, draft picks, free agents, young players and veterans. The sheer number of decisions made that ended up paying off is unbelievable. It's like every thing they touched turned to gold!

I said they were smart for going all in after signing Peyton. They signed a bunch of high priced FAs and drafted well but they weren't afraid to spend. They went from all defense and Tebow to all offense with Peyton to great defense with aging Peyton.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I said they were smart for going all in after signing Peyton. They signed a bunch of high priced FAs and drafted well but they weren't afraid to spend. They went from all defense and Tebow to all offense with Peyton to great defense with aging Peyton.

But I'm amazed at how each and every one of them was a home run! Not just a good player or role player guy, but each of them has become a huge contributor. I can't think of another free agent year where a team got so much.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
Ealy could have been Mvp in losing cause... Ala Howley.

It is the only Super Bowl in which the Most Valuable Player Award was given to a member of the losing team: Cowboys linebacker Chuck Howley, who intercepted two passes (sacks and tackles were not yet recorded). Howley, the first non-quarterback to win the MVP award, refused to accept it because it was meaningless to him after his team lost.

In a similar vein, Colts defensive end Bubba Smith would later refuse to wear his Super Bowl V ring because of the "sloppy" play

I wasn't alive during Super Bowl V although I have watched the game.

It seemed like to me that the Cowboys were the better football team and it wasn't close. If not for a fumble the Cowboys committed at the one yard line the game would have been all but over. I believe the Cowboys were up 13-7 at that point about ready to make it 20-7.

My dad always tells me that the Cowboys recovered the fumble but they gave it to the Colts. LOL.

Anyway, my question is: Do you think Howley and Smith felt the way they did about the MVP award and ring because it was obvious the better team lost?

I personally don't think that's the case. I've just heard of people I know make that claim. Again, I wasn't even close to being born yet when the ballgame was played.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I wasn't alive during Super Bowl V although I have watched the game.

It seemed like to me that the Cowboys were the better football team and it wasn't close. If not for a fumble the Cowboys committed at the one yard line the game would have been all but over. I believe the Cowboys were up 13-7 at that point about ready to make it 20-7.

My dad always tells me that the Cowboys recovered the fumble but they gave it to the Colts. LOL.

Anyway, my question is: Do you think Howley and Smith felt the way they did about the MVP award and ring because it was obvious the better team lost?

I personally don't think that's the case. I've just heard of people I know make that claim. Again, I wasn't even close to being born yet when the ballgame was played.

I've heard same thing. Refs gave them the ball.

I would like to watch the complete game. Where did you view it?

I think Howley didn't want it because his team lost, period.
Smith, like he said it was such a sloppy game all around he was embarrassed. But I that case I would wear it anyway

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
I've heard same thing. Refs gave them the ball.

I would like to watch the complete game. Where did you view it?

I think Howley didn't want it because his team lost, period.
Smith, like he said it was such a sloppy game all around he was embarrassed. But I that case I would wear it anyway

Oh yeah I'd still wear it. A win is a win.

Believe it or not, I think they showed the ballgame on the NFL Network. They fit it in to an hour long showing. It's been a few years ago since I watched it and I don't have a great recollection of the details of the game. They showed Lilly tossing his helmet at the end and I remember promptly going and buying an autographed helmet from him online and I just recently bought an autographed blue jersey of his.

I'd like to watch the game as it was originally showed in 1970 though and am also interested if anybody knows where I could get my hands on it.

Another thing I noticed back then is that whenever somebody went out of bounds the clock stopped and didn't get started until the ball was snapped throughout the whole game. It didn't have to be under 6 minutes or whatever it is and in the 4th quarter like it is today.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Oh yeah I'd still wear it. A win is a win.

Believe it or not, I think they showed the ballgame on the NFL Network. They fit it in to an hour long showing. It's been a few years ago since I watched it and I don't have a great recollection of the details of the game. They showed Lilly tossing his helmet at the end and I remember promptly going and buying an autographed helmet from him online and I just recently bought an autographed blue jersey of his.

I'd like to watch the game as it was originally showed in 1970 though and am also interested if anybody knows where I could get my hands on it.

Another thing I noticed back then is that whenever somebody went out of bounds the clock stopped and didn't get started until the ball was snapped throughout the whole game. It didn't have to be under 6 minutes or whatever it is and in the 4th quarter like it is today.

Found it... Actually knew they were on YouTube.... Just had to re-remember lol