Carpenter overrated?????

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
I was on the "Draft Bobby Carpenter" bandwagon for quite some time, but then I got to thinking, could Carpenter be a little overrated because of the outstanding play of Hawk and Schlegel. Easily the best Linebacker trio in the country.

I'm not saying Carpenter is overrated, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not a little worried about it.

I watched 3-4 Ohio State games this year, so I'd like to hear some peoples take who may have seen more than me. Or just paid more attention than me.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
This is obviously a great point. You always have to be wary of players that played next to all stars. The same sort of argument can be laid against Leinart. Who knows what Culter or any other talented QB could have done with that kind of offense around him.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I think if you told him to do just go out there and play football, hit somebody, and make tackles, that's his gear. He is high intensity player. I think we need a high motor and a voice to get all of this D talent going! They were all good because of each other. Who is to say one is better than the other. They all made that OSU defense very, very NASTY.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Well maybe Hawk is overrated and looks great b/c of great play by Slegel and Carpenter.

lol I see your point but if you argue that, there could be an argument for what i just said

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
theogt said:
The same sort of argument can be laid against Leinart. Who knows what Culter or any other talented QB could have done with that kind of offense around him.

Yeah, I've felt that way about Leinart for some time. Teams were always so focused on their running attack, Leinart seemed to be able to do what he wanted.

I'm not saying he's going to be a bust by any stretch, just that its going to be interesting to watch him in the pros when he isn't on a dominating team

ghst187

Reaction score
I see your point but I watched a lot of OSU games this past year and didn't get that feeling. Maybe Hawk was overrated because he played next to Carpenter?
My assessment on the two is that Hawk was more of a big playmaker but Carpenter was a bigtime leader and was a hard-nosed, fiery, take out the trash kind of guy. I definitely don't think Carpenter is overrated.
Another note, I do think OSU's DBs are horribly overrated.

neosapien23

Reaction score
kobe2jail said:
I was on the "Draft Bobby Carpenter" bandwagon for quite some time, but then I got to thinking, could Carpenter be a little overrated because of the outstanding play of Hawk and Schlegel. Easily the best Linebacker trio in the country.

I'm not saying Carpenter is overrated, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not a little worried about it.

I watched 3-4 Ohio State games this year, so I'd like to hear some peoples take who may have seen more than me. Or just paid more attention than me.

If thats the case he will look great playing next to Ware, Adoyele, and James. They are outstanding linebackers as well.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Ayodele can really run. He can play outside also. In a 3-4 sometimes that LB lines up as an end and he has done that. Here is your starting lb's

Ware, Carpenter, James, Ayodele

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
sadams said:
Ayodele can really run. He can play outside also. In a 3-4 sometimes that LB lines up as an end and he has done that. Here is your starting lb's

I don't like it.. I rather see::
Ware-Adoyele-James-Lawson:starspin

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
sadams said:

I believe it's been confirmed that Ayodele is playing ILB. Sorry no link for this either. ;)

ghst187

Reaction score
theogt said:
I believe it's been confirmed that Ayodele is playing ILB. Sorry no link for this either. ;)

Yes, it was announced by the org that Ayodele would be starting at ILB for us.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
sadams said:

I'm licking my chops over

Ware, James, Ayodele and Lawson to be honest. I liked Lawson for a while but after seeing the freakish numbers he has posted in his work outs man, I am sold.

neosapien23

Reaction score
theogt said:

If Lawson and Wimberely are gone and the Cowboys get Carpenter or Parham, Adoyele will be moved outside. It all depends on what happens in the draft.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
I'm licking my chops over

Ware, James, Ayodele and Lawson to be honest. I liked Lawson for a while but after seeing the freakish numbers he has posted in his work outs man, I am sold.
No kidding. I would love this front seven.

Canty Ferguson Spears

Lawson Ayodele James Ware

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/bobbycarpenter.html

He is a great 3-4 fit

Height: 6-2 1/2 | Weight: 256 | 40-Time: 4.66

Official Bio

Strengths:
Has excellent size...Is very fast and athletic...Has great instincts...Is very natural and does an excellent job in coverage...Does a nice job of filling against the run...Flies to the ball and makes plays sideline-to-sideline...Tremendous pass rusher and blitzer...Tough as nails and a true football player...Tenacious and has a great motor...Versatile player...Very productive and has a lot of experience.

Weaknesses:
Has some trouble shedding blocks...Is not the surest tackler...Was surrounded by a lot of talent which alleviated pressure and didn't allow the opposition to focus only on him...Can be too aggressive at times...Might not be quite as athletic as his computer numbers would lead you to believe...Needs to use his hands better.

Notes:
Father Rob played for the New York Giants...Saw some action at defensive end for the Buckeyes...Was overshadowed by A.J. Hawk but this guy is a top prospect in his own right...A great strongside linebacker who could also be an impact player in a 3-4 pass rushing role as well...One of the drafts most underrated players.

Height: 6-5 3/8 | Weight: 241 | 40-Time: 4.43

Official Bio

Strengths:
An amazing athlete with rare ability...Has outstanding speed and quickness with a great burst...Extremely explosive...Tremendous pass rusher off the edge...Good agility and can drop into coverage...Smart player with good instincts...Good tackler...Makes plays in space...Productive and can be very disruptive...Vertical jump is higher than the device used to measure that stat...Has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:
Vastly undersized...A DE / OLB 'tweener who may not have a clear position at the pro level...Struggles to defend the run...Needs to get stronger...Gets engulfed by massive offensive tackles...Doesn't always play with good leverage...Needs to use his hands better...Is he just a workout warrior?...Won't be a fit for every team and will need to be in the right system to succeed...Relies on speed heavily.

Notes:
Competed as a hurdler, long jumper, triple jumper and even a relay runner for the Wolfpack track team...The prevalence of the 3-4 defense in the NFL will likely help Lawson's case since he would seem to be a prototypical OLB is that scheme.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I watched the Fiesta Bowl like 3 time already thanks to ESPN Classic and other than Ted Ginn JR, Carpenter was the guy that I came away the most impressed with. He called signals from the sideline to help his teammates, knowing he couldn't play. And did this while wearing his uniform. The kid yearns to suit up and play football and I welcome guys like that. To see his face in agony, knowing he couldn't be on the field sold me on what we could have if we were to draft him. Pair him with Ware and the future is set. BP, finish what you started and get this guy.

PrimeTime22

Reaction score
Carpenter looks like a better fit at SOLB in the 3-4, Lawson seems to be too much like Ware to fill that role.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Too aggressive, Is that a problem in football. Give me 10 too aggressives and I'll show you 10 bloody chins and foreheads. I really reall do not want Lawson. We need this guy. He is better. i am teeling you the acc talent pool, aside from Miami and FSU is lacking and DOOK really boost everyones numbers.....

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
sadams said:
Too aggressive, Is that a problem in football. Give me 10 too aggressives and I'll show you 10 bloody chins and foreheads. I really reall do not want Lawson. We need this guy. He is better. i am teeling you the acc talent pool, aside from Miami and FSU is lacking and DOOK really boost everyones numbers.....

I think Lawson has first round talent but falls to round 2.. Much like Shaun Cody did last year..