Carpenter overrated?????

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
jterrell said:
I'm admittedly rather alone in this but I like Carpenter as much as Hawk.

Hawk was protected at OSU by having the big LBs around him thus his speed shined through but in the NFL size makes a big difference inside. Hawk could end up a similar player to Urlacher but Urlacher is at his best when he has two fat daddies in front of him keeping him clean to run and make plays. I don't think Hawk can be Ray Lewis because he hasn't flashed that type of power and no other LB flashes that suddenness(recognition plus acceleration) except Singletary.

I am very leery of high ST round backers who aren't pass rushers because its hard to see the value in them over the long haul. I like the value from about 12 to 20 much better.

I would have to say that yeah...You are alone.

If you had watched Hawk's Entire career at Ohio St. I'm sure there's no way you would be saying this.

I would be absolutely Shocked if Hawk didn't turn into a Great Player in the NFL.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
I wouldnt take him at 18 either, but I would take him somewhere between 30-40 if we move down

I think there's a good chance that at 18, there really wont be any players there at a position we need help at worth the pick...I like Lawson, but I'm not sure he's the 18th best player in the draft and I have questions about his ability to play SOLB in the 3-4 because he is kinda skinny...he might be nothing mroe than a situational pass rusher and special teamer for a couple of seasons until he bulks up...I wouldnt take a FS at 18 either

David

He will not, I repeat, will not get past the Steelers at #32... The Boys will get him before then if they're gonna get him...

Also, thanks for the info Concord Cowboy!!

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
aardvark said:
He will not, I repeat, will not get past the Steelers at #32... The Boys will get him before then if they're gonna get him...

Also, thanks for the info Concord Cowboy!!

You're Welcome...

I can see people not wanting him at 18 but I doubt that he'll be there for our 2nd round pick...If he hadn't got hurt...Definitly No way!

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
jterrell said:
I'm admittedly rather alone in this but I like Carpenter as much as Hawk.

Hawk was protected at OSU by having the big LBs around him thus his speed shined through but in the NFL size makes a big difference inside. Hawk could end up a similar player to Urlacher but Urlacher is at his best when he has two fat daddies in front of him keeping him clean to run and make plays. I don't think Hawk can be Ray Lewis because he hasn't flashed that type of power and no other LB flashes that suddenness(recognition plus acceleration) except Singletary.

I am very leery of high 1st round backers who aren't pass rushers because its hard to see the value in them over the long haul. I like the value from about 12 to 20 much better.

That would be the case for ANY middle linebacker... That's why they say defense all starts up front...

You keep the guards and center from getting to the second level (linebackers) and your second level defense finds the gaps that the RBs are trying to squeeze through...

Ray Lewis wouldn't be Ray Lewis without Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa... Brian Urlacher wouldn't be Brian U. without Keith Traylor and the other hoss beside KT... (can't remember that DTs name)... Same goes for the Pats... Bruschi wouldn't be himself without Seymour and Ted Washington (or currently Vince Wilfork)... so on and so on.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
You're Welcome...

I can see people not wanting him at 18 but I doubt that he'll be there for our 2nd round pick...If he hadn't got hurt...Definitly No way!

I agree with that completely... They'd both be darn near the best LBers in the top 15... depending how the season panned out for OSU with both of them on the field... BTW, ConcordCowboy, how many games did Carpenter miss?? I'm thinking it wasn't very many??

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
aardvark said:
I agree with that completely... They'd both be darn near the best LBers in the top 15... depending how the season panned out for OSU with both of them on the field... BTW, ConcordCowboy, how many games did Carpenter miss?? I'm thinking it wasn't very many??

If you're talking this year...Just the Michigan game...he broke his ankle on one of the first plays of the game.:mad:

Man I know I was pissed when I heard that...I can't even begin to think about how he felt...Missing his last chance against Michigan...And then Missing the Fiesta against Notre Dame...had to kill him.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
aardvark said:
That would be the case for ANY middle linebacker... That's why they say defense all starts up front...

You keep the guards and center from getting to the second level (linebackers) and your second level defense finds the gaps that the RBs are trying to squeeze through...

Ray Lewis wouldn't be Ray Lewis without Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa... Brian Urlacher wouldn't be Brian U. without Keith Traylor and the other hoss beside KT... (can't remember that DTs name)... Same goes for the Pats... Bruschi wouldn't be himself without Seymour and Ted Washington (or currently Vince Wilfork)... so on and so on.

Schlegel was the Middle Linbacker...Hawk and Carpenter were the Outsides.

So I'm not getting where he thinks Hawk was protected.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
Schlegel was the Middle Linbacker...Hawk and Carpenter were the Outsides.

So I'm not getting where he thinks Hawk was protected.

Very true... I watched the UT - OSU game and BOTH Carpenter and Hawk stood out from the first snap through the entire contest... AJH and BC will be awesome additions for any pro team. Any big time players on the radar for OSU this fall in your opinion??

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
aardvark said:
Very true... I watched the UT - OSU game and BOTH Carpenter and Hawk stood out from the first snap through the entire contest... AJH and BC will be awesome additions for any pro team. Any big time players on the radar for OSU this fall in your opinion??

It just kills me how we all pick apart players before the Draft.

Hawk and Carpenter are Great players and anyone who gets them will be lucky...I'm hoping the Cowboys are so lucky...But I doubt it.

The big time player I and I'm sure most Buckeye fans will be paying attention to this fall is Chris Wells..RB from Garfield HS in Akron Ohio...The # 1 RB Recruit in the Nation and on some lists the # 1 recruit Period!

Pittman's a Good RB...But Wells has a chance to be Great!:D

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
It just kills me how we all pick apart players before the Draft.

Hawk and Carpenter are Great players and anyone who gets them will be lucky...I'm hoping the Cowboys are so lucky...But I doubt it.

The big time player I and I'm sure most Buckeye fans will be paying attention to this fall is Chris Wells..RB from Garfield HS in Akron Ohio...The # 1 RB Recruit in the Nation and on some lists the # 1 recruit Period!

Pittman's a Good RB...But Wells has a chance to be Great!:D

Cool, thanks for the heads up CC... Yeah, it's really funny how someone who PLANS on playing NFL football gets their whole mental and physical life on a reality show before March is even up. We'll know it all by December I'm sure.