Carpenter overrated?????

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Typhus said:
I think Lawson has first round talent but falls to round 2.. Much like Shaun Cody did last year..
What? No way. Didn't you see the latest Fox Sports mock draft that had him going at 12? [/sarcasm]

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
theogt said:
What? No way. Didn't you see the latest Fox Sports mock draft that had him going at 12? [/sarcasm]

:bang2: [/sarcasm]

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Carpenter is not overrated and to even think Hawk is ridiculous!

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Concord since you probably get local coverage on Saturday tell us more about Carpenter...

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
Carpenter is not overrated and to even think Hawk is ridiculous!

I'm glad you are chiming in on this thread... From the games I saw, both Hawk and Carpenter are fantastic linebackers.

My take on the Buckeye linebackers...

Hawk... around the ball on just about every play...

Carpenter... around either AJ Hawk or the ball on just about every play...

tell us more ConcordCowboy!!

Eskimo

Reaction score
I think it is always dangerous to draft the second best player at a position on a team. It doesn't necessarily mean that player isn't as good as he looks but you know the other team has to first gameplan around the best player and that may open things up for the guy second in the pecking order.

Interestingly, this applies to both Carpenter (see Hawk) and Lawson (see M Williams).

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
sadams said:
Concord since you probably get local coverage on Saturday tell us more about Carpenter...

He's A notch below Hawk...But who isn't.

Like Hawk is around the ball all the time and never seems to be out of position.

Great team leader...Has that Fire to him that you look for in a Linebacker.

He Actually was a better Pass Rusher than Hawk and Hawk is pretty good.

Lead the team with 8 sacks this year and he missed the Whole Michigan game.

Would be a Great compliment to Ware.

Bobby Carpenter

Class:
Senior

Hometown:
Lancaster, Ohio

High School:
Lancaster

Height / Weight:
6-3 / 255

Position:
Linebacker

Birthdate:
08/01/1983

Major:
Business

Career Notes:
Heads into his senior season with 39 games, including 15 starts, under his belt the past three years ... is an outstanding football player and an integral part of what may well be the best corps of linebackers in college football ... is big, rangy and physical ... played his best football last year and wound up the season as the second leading tackler on the team with a career-high 93 total participations... finished the season on a strong note, recording 13 tackles at Michigan State and nine against both Purdue and Michigan ... also had an early interception in the Alamo Bowl that led to a 7-0 Ohio State lead before some of the fans had settled into their seats ... has the physical attributes to play defensive end and could see some time there this season in a relief role ... knows the game (his father, Rob Carpenter, played in the NFL and was his high school coach) and is always working to get better ... also plays on the special teams and has turned in a couple of highlight hits on kickoff coverage ... has 142 career tackles.

2004 (Junior):
Started all 12 games in his first year as a regular ... 93 tackles easily bettered his previous best of 37 in 2003 ... led the team in tackles against Marshall (13), Indiana (11) and Michigan State (13) ... tied for the team lead against Cincinnati (9) ... 13 stops against Marshall and MSU are career highs ... had 6.5 tackles for loss, including a pair of sacks ... second on the team in interceptions with three ... Picked off a Donovan Woods pass on Oklahoma State's third play from scrimmage and returned it nine yards to the Cowboy 28-yard line ... Ohio State scored three plays later to take a 7-0 lead with 12:02 on the clock and never looked back ... also had interceptions against Indiana and Northwestern ...

2003 (Sophomore):
Finished the year with 37 tackles, including 24 solo stops, and had at least one tackle in every game but Indiana ... had a season and then career-high six tackles against Bowling Green ... also recorded 6.5 tackles-for-loss and 4.5 sacks in a stellar first year of play ... credited with forced fumbles against Bowling Green and Michigan State ... started the Fiesta Bowl win over Kansas State, his third career appearance in a starting role ... responded well with five tackles, 2.5 for losses, a pass break up and a pair of sacks vs. the Wildcats.

2002 (Freshman):
Recorded 12 tackles as a rookie, including eight solo stops ... played in all 14 games ... began his collegiate career by making a tackle on the opening kickoff of the season opener against Texas Tech ... five tackles against Kent State was his top effort.

High School:
One of the most sought-after linebacker prospects in the Midwest ... won first-team All-Ohio honors from the Associated Press as a senior ... finished his senior season with 128 total tackles, including 12 tackles-for-loss ... also swam as a senior (50 and 100 free) and went to districts.

Personal:
Is the son of Rob and Susie Carpenter ... his father played at Miami of Ohio before going on to play professionally with the New York Giants ... has three younger brothers, Jonathan (a sophomore football player at the University of Cincinnati), George and Nate ... enjoys bowling (best game is a 240) and playing pool ... also likes to play the piano (took lessons for six years) ... two of his uncles played collegiate football (one at Northwestern and one at Kent State) ... favorite pro athlete is Lawrence Taylor ... enjoys playing chess ... would like to follow in his father's footsteps and be coaching his high school team in Lancaster in 10 years ... top memory from 2003 is beating Kansas State in the Fiesta Bowl ... the "Tunnel of Pride" is his favorite OSU football tradition ... would play basketball at Ohio State if not on the football team.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
kobe2jail said:
I was on the "Draft Bobby Carpenter" bandwagon for quite some time, but then I got to thinking, could Carpenter be a little overrated because of the outstanding play of Hawk and Schlegel. Easily the best Linebacker trio in the country.

I'm not saying Carpenter is overrated, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not a little worried about it.

I watched 3-4 Ohio State games this year, so I'd like to hear some peoples take who may have seen more than me. Or just paid more attention than me.

If anything Carpenter is UNDERated, not overated.

doomsday81

Reaction score
kobe2jail said:
I was on the "Draft Bobby Carpenter" bandwagon for quite some time, but then I got to thinking, could Carpenter be a little overrated because of the outstanding play of Hawk and Schlegel. Easily the best Linebacker trio in the country.

I'm not saying Carpenter is overrated, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not a little worried about it.

I watched 3-4 Ohio State games this year, so I'd like to hear some peoples take who may have seen more than me. Or just paid more attention than me.

Hawk and Carpenter are totally different players who do different things. Carpenter rushes the passer. He said himself that was his strength and that he's modled his game after Mike Vrabel. Like Vrabel, I think he could play inside if he was forced to but he earns his bacon rushing the passer and out of the 35 linebackers I watched tape on so far, he does it better than anyone. Best 10-20 yard burst of anyone I've seen so far.

Justis

Reaction score
Blasphemy! Honestly I'd rather have Manny Lawson, but I'd shed few tears if we devoted #18 to Carpenter. I'd much rather have him at this juncture than a Winston Justice or Marcus McNeil.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
Yes, it was announced by the org that Ayodele would be starting at ILB for us.
Ayodele will START out at ILB but the team signed him largely because it feels he can play both. Like Kosier he was signed for his versatility.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I'm admittedly rather alone in this but I like Carpenter as much as Hawk.

Hawk was protected at OSU by having the big LBs around him thus his speed shined through but in the NFL size makes a big difference inside. Hawk could end up a similar player to Urlacher but Urlacher is at his best when he has two fat daddies in front of him keeping him clean to run and make plays. I don't think Hawk can be Ray Lewis because he hasn't flashed that type of power and no other LB flashes that suddenness(recognition plus acceleration) except Singletary.

I am very leery of high 1st round backers who aren't pass rushers because its hard to see the value in them over the long haul. I like the value from about 12 to 20 much better.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I was on a draft site yesterday in which Carpenter was not listed in the top 3-4 OLBs in the draft. He's a 2nd round pick at best...those calling for us to use our #18 on him are insane....He's not rated that highly by anyone.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
jterrell said:
I'm admittedly rather alone in this but I like Carpenter as much as Hawk.

Hawk was protected at OSU by having the big LBs around him thus his speed shined through but in the NFL size makes a big difference inside. Hawk could end up a similar player to Urlacher but Urlacher is at his best when he has two fat daddies in front of him keeping him clean to run and make plays. I don't think Hawk can be Ray Lewis because he hasn't flashed that type of power and no other LB flashes that suddenness(recognition plus acceleration) except Singletary.

I am very leery of high 1st round backers who aren't pass rushers because its hard to see the value in them over the long haul. I like the value from about 12 to 20 much better.
I can only say WOW....I think Hawk is going to be a great LB in the mold of Brian Urlacher.

Carpenter isn't rated as a first round talent by any of the sources I've read so far.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Typhus said:
I watched the Fiesta Bowl like 3 time already thanks to ESPN Classic and other than Ted Ginn JR, Carpenter was the guy that I came away the most impressed with. He called signals from the sideline to help his teammates, knowing he couldn't play. And did this while wearing his uniform. The kid yearns to suit up and play football and I welcome guys like that. To see his face in agony, knowing he couldn't be on the field sold me on what we could have if we were to draft him. Pair him with Ware and the future is set. BP, finish what you started and get this guy.
and you want to spend our first round pick on him because of his sideline behavior in a game he didn't play in?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
kobe2jail said:

Schlegel is a nice college player, but he isnt close to being in Hawk or Carpenter's talent level

Carpenter is a pretty good player who did a lot of different things in the OSU defense...he is a good pass rusher and played down as a DE some and gets really high praise for his ability to drop into coverage and run man to man with backs and TE's...he has good size and speed and seems tailor made for OLB in the 3-4, especially since we have Ware on the other side

David

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Eskimo said:
I think it is always dangerous to draft the second best player at a position on a team. It doesn't necessarily mean that player isn't as good as he looks but you know the other team has to first gameplan around the best player and that may open things up for the guy second in the pecking order.

The same thing was said about Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown.

If the Carpenter-Hawk debate turns out like the aforementioned, the team that drafts Carpenter (hopefully the Cowboys) doesn't have anything to worry about.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
I was on a draft site yesterday in which Carpenter was not listed in the top 3-4 OLBs in the draft. He's a 2nd round pick at best...those calling for us to use our #18 on him are insane....He's not rated that highly by anyone.

I wouldnt take him at 18 either, but I would take him somewhere between 30-40 if we move down

I think there's a good chance that at 18, there really wont be any players there at a position we need help at worth the pick...I like Lawson, but I'm not sure he's the 18th best player in the draft and I have questions about his ability to play SOLB in the 3-4 because he is kinda skinny...he might be nothing mroe than a situational pass rusher and special teamer for a couple of seasons until he bulks up...I wouldnt take a FS at 18 either

David