Casey Anthony trial starts today...*Found not guilty*

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
VietCowboy;3985068 said:
not on the 1st degree murder I think, but hopefully on the lesser degree. She is a narcissistic bad mother. Didn't even take the stand b/c the defense knew that the jury would hate her. It's mostly circumstantial, but it's very strong circumstantial. Not sure if that is good enough to 'fry her' her hopefully one of the lesser charges stick.

From a strategy standpoint, the defense probably didn't put her on the stand not because of the jury, but because of the potential for impeachment in cross-examination.

The burden of proof rests with the government...so by not putting her on the stand they make that burden a little more substantial, in my opinion.

But I still think they'll find her guilty, even if the evidence appears to be mostly circumstantial.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
VietCowboy;3985068 said:
not on the 1st degree murder I think, but hopefully on the lesser degree. She is a narcissistic bad mother. Didn't even take the stand b/c the defense knew that the jury would hate her. It's mostly circumstantial, but it's very strong circumstantial. Not sure if that is good enough to 'fry her' her hopefully one of the lesser charges stick.
That is not surprising in the least. Probably 90% or more of defendants don't take the stand.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
peplaw06;3985087 said:
That is not surprising in the least. Probably 90% or more of defendants don't take the stand.

in these kind of cases yes

When I did some criminal law in the past, it was usually assaults, flashers, theft type cases so I usually put the def on just to give a contrary version to create reasonable doubt

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
I think she will be found guilty of a lesser charge, i.e. not premeditated murder. Life in prison.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I really don't know much about the case other than a cute white girl ended up dead so the entire country is watching the trial ;)

I agree, I can't see the mom walking, people hate her too much.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Been following this case since it began in 2008. I said from the beginning she should have taken the stand. How could the Prosecution impeach her testimony? She already is an admitted liar. All she would have to say is "yea, I lied.". The girl would lie about anything. Why not put her on the stand. I think the defense should have put her on there and asked her what happened to Caylee? She probably would have answered that "Zannie still has her!" Then they could have sent her to the funny farm forever. This gal is pathological crazy.

I feel most sorry for the Dad, George. Of all things, he lost the one thing in his life that loved him more than his wife or kids. Then to have your daughter accuse you of the most horrific thing they can accuse you.

I bet the next trial (and there will be another trial because of the incompetence of Baez) she has another lie.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3985189 said:
I really don't know much about the case other than a cute white girl ended up dead so the entire country is watching the trial ;)

:laugh2:

Yep.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
peplaw06;3985087 said:

I agree. It is not a matter of her lawyer asking question it is the prosecutor who would eat her alive on the stand. It is no accident as you indicated that close to 90% would not call their client to the stand.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
It's painfully obvious that she is guilty as sin, but I don't think there is enough solid evidence to convict her of first-degree murder.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3985461 said:
It's painfully obvious that she is guilty as sin, but I don't think there is enough solid evidence to convict her of first-degree murder.

I would be shocked if she was given the death penalty based on what I have heard in the trial. I do think they will find her guilty and she will be put away from a very long time but I just don't see her being given death.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v210/zrinkill/docksaints.jpg

Hopefully

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
No evidence. Almost everything was purely circumstantial...going to be really hard to prove the elements of murder with that.

From a legal standpoint, justice was served. I know that's hard to swallow, but you can't convict if you have no evidence.

Now the OJ Simpson thing was a different story completely.

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
zrinkill;3985652 said:
http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v210/zrinkill/docksaints.jpghttp://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v210/zrinkill/docksaints.jpg

Hopefully

Hell yeah. Or maybe this guy:

http://personalitypsych2011.wikispa.../222348908/dexter-morgan-1574_copy_bigger.jpg

This truly does make me sick though. I can't believe this psychotic, manipulative monster will be walking amongst us again. I think Jose Baez really got into those jurors heads with his list that showed all of the lack of evidence. How can you convict someone if you don't even have a cause of death?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
casmith07;3985657 said:
No evidence. Almost everything was purely circumstantial...going to be really hard to prove the elements of murder with that.

From a legal standpoint, justice was served. I know that's hard to swallow, but you can't convict if you have no evidence.

Now the OJ Simpson thing was a different story completely.

It was one of those cases where the amount of circumstantial evidence was so overwhelming that it became obvious that she almost certainly did it barring the biggest set of coincidences imaginable, however because none of the evidence was concrete there wasnt really any way to convict her of murder under the guidelines of our judicial system. OJ just got off ebcause the police were idiots and screwed up, but the point is that both were guilty and everyone knows it.

She clearly did it and I bet everyone on thta jury knew it, but they had to do their job

Stautner

Reaction score
It doesn't surprise me she didn't get 1st degree murder - no actual direct tie to the murder made that a hard sell for the prosecutor. But it's indisputable that she knew her daughter was missing, inconceivable that she didn't know she was dead, and she clearly and blatently covered it up in an effort to keep it from being discovered, so whether the jurors had enough evidence to prove she intentionally killed her daughter, I'm shocked they didn't at least feel convinced she was involved and therefore guilty of manslaughter.