Casey Anthony trial starts today...*Found not guilty*

Hoofbite

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3985678 said:
I'm not because she was guilty. Just because the system worked within its flawed parameters doesnt mean justice was served nor that we should be happy.

I was thinking the same thing.

Stautner

Reaction score
casmith07;3985706 said:
I also am looking at this from a legal standpoint, since that's my field, particularly military justice (criminal law).

She was acquitted in a court of law. Therefore not guilty. Anything else is mere opinion on the matter.

As I said before it's always frustrating when the death of anyone, be it a child or an adult, goes without some sort of resolution, but it happens all the time.

Nobody continued to cover the story of the little girl that was gunned down in cold blood at that political rally in Arizona past that weekend it happened. Why does this case deserve any different treatment or ire from "fans"?

I understand you are looking at it from a legal perspective, but it is also reasonable to understand that there is no certainty that the legal perspective is the accurate one. You said she wasn't guilty, not that she wasn't guilty in the eyes of the law, and I was only pointing out that in reality that may or may not be true.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Stautner;3985712 said:
If the jury bought the idea that she may have drowned accidentally and all Casey was doing was covering up out of panic, then there would have been no abuse, and the jury's decision makes sense. Still, the duct tape is pretty hard to explain away in that scenario.

I'm not sure how the jury could come to that conclusion though since there was absolutely no evidence that's what happened. I'm not sure how the law views it, but in my mind the jury should have been instructed to disregard the entire notion since there was no evidence at all presented to suggest it - nothing even remotely presented that sets it up as a plausible alternative.

I suspect casey's Dad is what presented the biggest reasonable doubt. He tried to kill himself and left a note, while vague, still expressed personal remorse as if he had some responsibility for what happened.

I understand what the Jury bought I also know had her daughter drowned in an accident she would not be facing the charges she did.

I did not expect her to get death because I did not think the evidence was there to get murder 1 but to get off scott free no sorry I don't think justice was done today.

crazytown41

Reaction score
trickblue;3985673 said:
I'm glad she was found Not Guilty as the case was purely circumstantial...

Do I think she did it? Yes, but I get really uncomfortable with people being convicted by conjecture and wild stories with no evidence...

The prosecution needed to put together a better case. She didn't have a great lawyer and still won...

I'd rather 1000 guilty people be acquitted than one innocent person be convicted of something they didn't do...

Hopefully Karma will deal with her...
There are people rotting prison with less evidence than she had on her. Unfortunately, it wasn't televised on TV and they didn't kill a white girl. ;)

Hoofbite

Reaction score
casmith07;3985706 said:
I also am looking at this from a legal standpoint, since that's my field, particularly military justice (criminal law).

She was acquitted in a court of law. Therefore not guilty. Anything else is mere opinion on the matter.

As I said before it's always frustrating when the death of anyone, be it a child or an adult, goes without some sort of resolution, but it happens all the time.

Nobody continued to cover the story of the little girl that was gunned down in cold blood at that political rally in Arizona past that weekend it happened. Why does this case deserve any different treatment or ire from "fans"?

Do you believe the court system is infallible?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
casmith07;3985710 said:
I'd be interested to know what you think is flawed about the system?

The concept of "reasonable doubt" has extended far beyond what should actually constitute reasonable doubt due to the advanced crime fighting and evidence producing techniques now at our disposal. Anytime there isnt concrete video proof or DNA evidence, the defense cries reasonable doubt. In this case, the reasonable doubt was a construct of the modern judicial system. In reality, there was no reasonable doubt in the minds of any rational person due to the incredible amount of circumstantial evidence that, when brought togethr, SHOULD be damning.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Well, like the verdict or not, Casey Anthony can now go and hit the talk show circuit, fake a sad face and some tears while she gets paid, then get back to partying like a rock star same as she was prior to getting arrested.

Meanwhile, her daughter isn't coming back and there will never be justice for her. It honestly turns my stomach, but that is the truth of it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Joe Rod;3985724 said:
Well, like the verdict or not, Casey Anthony can now go and hit the talk show circuit, fake a sad face and some tears while she gets paid, then get back to partying like a rock star same as she was prior to getting arrested.

Meanwhile, her daughter isn't coming back and there will never be justice for her. It honestly turns my stomach, but that is the truth of it.

I agree that is exactly what I expect to happen, she will end up making money off this

Stautner

Reaction score
Doomsday101;3985718 said:
I understand what the Jury bought I also know had her daughter drowned in an accident she would not be facing the charges she did.

I did not expect her to get death because I did not think the evidence was there to get murder 1 but to get off scott free no sorry I don't think justice was done today.

Obviously our system of jurisprudence isn't set up to accept that if a person is charged with one thing then that excludes the possibility that something else may have happened.

Nevertheless, I agree. Murder was tough to prove without a true direct link, but I can't help but think something more significant than lying to investigators could have stuck.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3985722 said:
Do you believe the court system is infallible?
The fallibility of the court system is why evidence needs to be sufficient in order to convict.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
theogt;3985729 said:
The fallibility of the court system is why evidence needs to be sufficient in order to convict.

How did you feel about the evidence submitted?

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3985683 said:
Karma is going to deal with her? Yeah right.

Most people believe she's guilty, regardless of whether or not she actually is. What do you think her life is going to be like from here on out?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
zrinkill;3985742 said:
How did you feel about the evidence submitted?
I paid next to zero attention to the trial. But the verdict and reaction has intrigued me to the point that I may make an attempt to read up on it. At this point, I really know nothing about the evidence presented other than it's "circumstantial". Most evidence is circumstantial.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
theogt;3985729 said:

Obviously there's the possibility of getting something wrong.

But, we have constructs in place to try and prevent it from getting it wrong.

So, I'll rephrase the question.

Is the product of the inherent fallibility and the constructs we have in place infallible?

Whether or not we have things in place to try and reduce the inherent fallibility means nothing if we aren't doing so.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;3985743 said:
Most people believe she's guilty, regardless of whether or not she actually is. What do you think her life is going to be like from here on out?

A short-lived hell, hopefully.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
theogt;3985729 said:

You could literally define bittersweet with this case. The evidence was all circumstantial, so taking emotion away it would have been almost absurd for them to come back with a murder conviction. But, at the same time, you just know that she was at least involved and she will use this to pad her wallet after the fact. Just a disturbing case on so many levels.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
Here's my 2 cents before the lock.....

It's decisions like this that show the weakness in our legal system....which is one of the main reasons that I don't support capital punishment. Huge errors have been shown to happen on both sides of rulings.

Stautner

Reaction score
theogt;3985729 said:

I'm sure Hoofbite understands that, but what he was referring to was casmith's comment that Casey Anthony wasn't guilty. In other words, that same fallibility that requires that we demand suffienct evidence before finding an accused guilty can also work to cause the guilty to be found innocent. That doesn't make the standard wrong, but it also doesn't mean Casey Anthony is not guilty simply because the prosocutioin didn't prove it to the satisfation of they jury.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
theogt;3985745 said:
I paid next to zero attention to the trial. But the verdict and reaction has intrigued me to the point that I may make an attempt to read up on it. At this point, I really know nothing about the evidence presented other than it's "circumstantial". Most evidence is circumstantial.

I would like to hear your take afterword ..... and I am being serious.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CowboyDan;3985750 said:
Here's my 2 cents before the lock.....

It's decisions like this that show the weakness in our legal system....which is one of the main reasons that I don't support capital punishment. Huge errors have been shown to happen on both sides of rulings.

I agree but still think in rare cases capital punishment should be used.