Video: CB Daron Bland's closing speed vs Bears

Zman5

Reaction score
Bland played mostly slot in preseason. Some zone but predominantly off man, which sometimes looks like zone.

Yes, that true and it goes back to what was said about him playing better with his eyes toward the LOS. He didn't look as good playing man outside.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Yes, that true and it goes back to what was said about him playing better with his eyes toward the LOS. He didn't look as good playing man outside.

This is not true.

Bland is dang good in press coverage.

Also has excellent hip flip and speed. And tracks the ball in the air as good as most receivers.

We all saw with our own eyes his elite catch up speed and ability to track ball in trail position vs Bears.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you serious? I'm not asking for any reason other than my own ignorance. I didn't know anything about him and haven't seen much from him. I REALLY hope you're being serious. Further...I hope you're right.
Nashon gonna shut yall up next year. Watch

Wright is still an interesting player.

His issues have not been the typical issues of many CBs. I would describe it as timing. He is normally in position to make plays but his timing at the point of ball arrival has been consistently off by about 1 step or 1 tick of the clock.

He wouldn't be a fit in some defensive scheme; however, Diggs and Richard Sherman wouldn't have been a fit in all schemes. Dan Quinn values size, technique, ball skills and scheme awareness.

Wright just needs to improve his technique with regards to timing/spacing. He seems to have the other requirements of a Dan Quinn type CB.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't see how that's "exactly the same" as the hit on Fields by Osa. Osa shoved him with his hands only. That roughing the passer call, while it may or may not have been legit, was much more aggressive.
Runny, aggressive or not, the hit was legal since it was within a step of the QB having released the pass and the rough shove with 2 hands was on the QB's chest and not his head as initially said by the refs. Just a terrible call once again that hurt the Cowboys but helped the opponents. What's next? Can't touch the QB?

Zman5

Reaction score
Izzy played safety alot at SC.....LOL

That's my point. He has the skillset to be a better safety than a CB regardless of the position he was drafted at.
That's like saying Micah should just play off the ball LB because he didn't rush the passer as a DE in college.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Very true and good comparison, Woolen fills his frame out better by nearly 20lbs.
Woolen at 6'4" 205 lbs. - 5th round
Wright at 6'4" 188 lbs. - 3rd round
Seattle stole a playmaker with Woolen.

Kevin King is another big corner who may be similar play comparison to Wright.

Zman5

Reaction score
This is not true.

Bland is dang good in press coverage.

Also has excellent hip flip and speed. And tracks the ball in the air as good as most receivers.

We all saw with our own eyes his elite catch up speed and ability to track ball in trail position vs Bears.

As far as what I saw of him as a Cowboy, Bland hasn't shown yet he is good in press coverage. All I saw was him giving up plays playing man in preseason.

And that play you mention vs the Bears, he does show his catchup speed and ball tracking skills, but fact of the matter is he was beat off the LOS and the WR had like 10 yards of separation on him. A better QB would have scored a TD on that play.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
As far as what I saw of him as a Cowboy, Bland hasn't shown yet he is good in press coverage. All I saw was him giving up plays playing man in preseason.

And that play you mention vs the Bears, he does show his catchup speed and ball tracking skills, but fact of the matter is he was beat off the LOS and the WR had like 10 yards of separation on him. A better QB would have scored a TD on that play.

That's what the pundits say about Diggs too.

These type of corners bait the QB purposefully.

Here is a sample of his Cowboys preseason tape.

Mostly off man or press man with a sprinkle of zone.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
That's my point. He has the skillset to be a better safety than a CB regardless of the position he was drafted at.
That's like saying Micah should just play off the ball LB because he didn't rush the passer as a DE in college.
Izzy is a safety now because he played it in college too. Period

Zman5

Reaction score
Izzy is a safety now because he played it in college too. Period

So Diggs is a WR because he played it in college too? Oh wait.
Mukuamura is a safety now because that's what he is better at. Period.

Zman5

Reaction score
That's what the pundits say about Diggs too.

These type of corners bait the QB purposefully.

Here is a sample of his Cowboys preseason tape.

Mostly off man or press man with a sprinkle of zone.

If you look at that video, almost all the plays he made was with him facing the LOS.

Ironically, the play vs the Bears is why I thought he could be a great ball hawking safety with that make up speed and ability to track the ball in the air. Along with him being a sure tackler.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
So Diggs is a WR because he played it in college too? Oh wait.
Mukuamura is a safety now because that's what he is better at. Period.
Diggs played cb lol. Bland will never be a safety. Just know that buddy

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I remember when Boise State went in and throttled Fresno State last year. Bland was the one player that popped off the screen for Fresno. In fact, watching Khalil Shakir (who has flashed this season for the Bills) and Bland go at it was exciting. He definitely looked the part then and has so far for Dallas. Let's hope he continues to mold into a great CB.

Reactions: BAT