Video: CB Daron Bland's closing speed vs Bears

Zman5

Reaction score
I actually think he'd make a better ball hawking safety than a CB. He's strength is playing with everything in front of him and his weakness is playing with his back toward the QB.

That was what was said about him predraft and it matched how he played in preseason games and so far.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I actually think he'd make a better ball hawking safety than a CB. He's strength is playing with everything in front of him and his weakness is playing with his back toward the QB.

That was what was said about him predraft and it matched how he played in preseason games and so far.
Here we go. The cb to safety fascination from Cowboy fans :laugh:

Clarke82

Reaction score
Blands looks like he's going to be a player.

As an aside, the two roughing the passer plays were not the same. Gholston puts his body weight on Fields, which draws the flag. In the other play, the defender (can't remember his name) hits high but peels off of Fields. He doesn't linger.

"Gholston puts his body weight on Fields" might be the dumbest or ignorant view of a play I can remember. Body weight argument/rule doesn't come into play unless the defender lands on the QB with his full body weight. Obviously, Gholston did not even go to the ground.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
"Gholston puts his body weight on Fields" might be the dumbest or ignorant view of a play I can remember. Body weight argument/rule doesn't come into play unless the defender lands on the QB with his full body weight. Obviously, Gholston did not even go to the ground.

And yet, a penalty was called on one of the plays and not the other.
Go figure.
Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion; I'm entitled to mine.:)

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
He is really looking like a homerun pick in the 6th round. Draft picks that punch way above their round are the key to building a real contender.
Absolutely, and if Bland would have been drafted in the 2nd round nobody would be complaining, we draft well in late rounds..
Glad Bland was still on the board late 5th round, because we stole Williams in the 2nd.
UDFA Bell hasn't been needed but is an example of the depth there.
This draft is already grading out to be very solid.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Are you serious? I'm not asking for any reason other than my own ignorance. I didn't know anything about him and haven't seen much from him. I REALLY hope you're being serious. Further...I hope you're right.
Most Peeps say Wright is too tall to play CB, and he is tall, but only 2 inches taller than Diggs if that really makes any difference.
If Wright had Diggs talent, we would shut down passing games.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

I would disagree.

Bland is big and physical for a corner. He would be average or even bit undersized for a safety.

And Bland is at his very best in man coverage where he can smother WRs and protect edges vs run, his weakness is actually in zone as his challenges coming out of school was taking the correct angles and recognizing route combinations.

https://mwwire.com/2022/04/17/2022-nfl-draft-profile-fresno-state-cb-daron-bland/

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Most Peeps say Wright is too tall to play CB, and he is tall, but only 2 inches taller than Diggs if that really makes any difference.
If Wright had Diggs talent, we would shut down passing games.

Woolen is just as tall or taller.

Height not hampering him at all. Wright problem is more mental than hip flip imo.

It's same with Joseph, slow processors.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Woolen is just as tall or taller.

Height not hampering him at all. Wright problem is more mental than hip flip imo.

It's same with Joseph, slow processors.
Very true and good comparison, Woolen fills his frame out better by nearly 20lbs.
Woolen at 6'4" 205 lbs. - 5th round
Wright at 6'4" 188 lbs. - 3rd round
Seattle stole a playmaker with Woolen.

Zman5

Reaction score
They prob are cowboy fans. Not farfetched at all.

So that's why Dan Quinn converted Mukuwamu to safety. It had nothing to do with Mujuwamu's skill set but because Quinn was just a fan. LOL

Zman5

Reaction score
I would disagree.

Bland is big and physical for a corner. He would be average or even bit undersized for a safety.

And Bland is at his very best in man coverage where he can smother WRs and protect edges vs run, his weakness is actually in zone as his challenges coming out of school was taking the correct angles and recognizing route combinations.

https://mwwire.com/2022/04/17/2022-nfl-draft-profile-fresno-state-cb-daron-bland/

We'll see but every time he made a play during the preseason, he was playing zone. Running toward the LOS and he was a sure tackler. And every time he got beat or called for a penalty was playing man.
And I saw some draft writeups that mentioned the Cowboys might see him as a safety.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
We'll see but every time he made a play during the preseason, he was playing zone. Running toward the LOS and he was a sure tackler. And every time he got beat or called for a penalty was playing man.
And I saw some draft writeups that mentioned the Cowboys might see him as a safety.

Bland played mostly slot in preseason. Some zone but predominantly off man, which sometimes looks like zone.