CB: New Stater in Big D?

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
The kid has to have some smarts to him based on his major and his school alone. He was a Mechanical Engineering student at Cal-Poly. Now I can't say how his grades turned out, but I'm sure someone could find that info if someone really wanted to dig that up.

neosapien23

Reaction score
I think with Joey Thomas and Courtney Brown, Dallas is now overcrowded at CB. Henry, Newman, and Glenn are sure to make the team. That only leaves two other spots. I think Joey Thomas will be the 4th CB and Brown the 5th CB. Jones and Reeves seem to be the odd men out.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
It sounds like Brown has the physical skills to do well, but as others have mentioned here, I also can't help but wonder if he may be like Pete Hunter was for us. I certainly would like to be optimistic about Brown, but considering how long he lasted on the board, I just can't help but have questions about him though.

LD Fan

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;1480922 said:
i have high hopes for him, he could be the steal of the draft, at 6-1, 205 with 4.34 in 40, if he can play and cover, lookout,

Especially since Pete Hunter isn't available anymore.

LD Fan

Reaction score
neosapien23;1481593 said:
I think with Joey Thomas and Courtney Brown, Dallas is now overcrowded at CB. Henry, Newman, and Glenn are sure to make the team. That only leaves two other spots. I think Joey Thomas will be the 4th CB and Brown the 5th CB. Jones and Reeves seem to be the odd men out.

That's just normal, healthy competition. You may be right, but being a late round pick doesn't entitle you to a roster spot. I hope you're right, that means we will have upgraded the talent.

Joe a Cowboys fan

Reaction score
sago1;1481289 said:
However, I wanted us to draft a CB higher who could challenge now for starter role. Eric Wright was still on the board but understand we probably couldn't take him. It's really annoying how Cleveland could draft Wright and take no PR hit while we would have been criticized from one end of the country another for taking him. And Broncos get away with the same thing when they drafted DT Marcus Thomas.

Oh I think both teams got an askance look or two. Now if the Raiders had taken Wright no one would have batted an eye. I think between the new commissioner and some teams emphasis on character is a long time coming.

followthestar

Reaction score
they say speed can't be taught, and I have to agree. Brown has played the position - its not like he's starting from scratch. No TDs allowed his last two seasons - that's quite a feat at any level. I'll go so far as to say right now that he makes the team, and is getting regular playing time in nickle or dime situations midway thru the year. Its just a feeling... by the way Hunter never had this kind of speed. I also think Watkins will have the light bulb come on at some point this season, and be starting FS next season. We'll have to wait and see...

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
Do people not know that Henry was playing hurt for a good portion of the season? As long as both remain healthy this season, Henry and Newman will both be starting, and will prove to be a very good cornerback tandem this coming year. It wasn't that long ago that a few (which I personally disagreed with) were calling Henry the better cornerback on the team. He didn't just lose his ability to play the position. I can understand wanting to get some younger guys and an eventual replacement for Aaron Glenn on the team, but I don't understand where this strong we need a starting cornerback came from.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
it will be interesting to see him go up against TO and Glenn everyday in training camp... if he can hold his own with those 2, we might just have a player.