CBS: Fatal flaws for all 32 teams

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Sydla, May 17, 2019 at 7:57 AM.

1. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

33,789 Messages
    47,920 Likes Received
  2. TexasBoys2288

TexasBoys2288 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

532 Messages
    741 Likes Received
    Brinson is absolutely correct. Jerry never has proved his point since Jimmy left, a clown cannot coach a NFL team to the Superbowl.

Hennessy_King likes this.
  3. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

51,224 Messages
    48,733 Likes Received
    [​IMG]Dallas Cowboys
    Fatal Flaw: Coaching

This is a pretty talented team. Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott don't seem riled up about looking for new deals. The offensive line, if healthy, is a top-tier unit. I'm not worried about the pass catchers the way I was last year. And defensively there's more than enough juice here. What concerns me is the coaching staff. We're talking about Jason Garrett, who has consistently been willing to settle for conservative calls late in games, and it feels like it's going to bite him. And Kellen Moore, the former Boise State standout, is a first-time OC replacing Scott Linehan. Not doubting his chops, but it's his first time calling plays, which is a question mark.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ntzs-health-and-every-teams-possible-pitfall/

4. Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country Active Member

194 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    Coaching and our power run defense. The Rams were the only team to run the ball 30 plus times against us last year. So now what can the Giants going go do with Shaquan Barkley? The Redskins with Guice. The Eagles with Howard. Do you really think the coaches fixed our power run defense this off season?

AmericasTeam81 and Hennessy_King like this.
  5. Aerolithe_Lion

Aerolithe_Lion Well-Known Member

2,433 Messages
    1,959 Likes Received
    You’re playing a LG at RT and he hasn’t looked great, and you’re playing a RT at LG and he’s been worse than the other guy. It seems so easy to fix, especially with how good Collins was at LG a few years ago.

BigD_95 likes this.
  6. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

11,380 Messages
    15,046 Likes Received
    I agree coaching is our biggest flaw....namely the HC is our biggest weakness.......if Moore is as advertised then Garrett will get the credit without having to do much more than stand on the sidelines.

Pantone282C, 817Gill and stasheroo like this.
  7. Future

Future Intramural Legend

20,104 Messages
    5,536 Likes Received
    Yes, no other team last season thought to try to run the ball against the Cowboys....The Rams could run at will because the Cowboys offense couldn't do anything. They played bad but it's not as if it's some grand concern. It's one bad game, happens to every defense.

Also, Jordan Howard sucks.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country likes this.
  8. SeanLee50

SeanLee50 Well-Known Member

10,146 Messages
    15,625 Likes Received
    Coaching? No way

Been the issue since jimmy left

Mr_437 and Hennessy_King like this.
  9. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

33,789 Messages
    47,920 Likes Received
    That game was as much a coaching failure as a player failure on defense. As noted after the game, McVay and the offensive coaches totally had their way with our defensive coaches.

10. dckid

dckid Well-Known Member

586 Messages
    473 Likes Received
    Culture eats Strategy for Breakfast. This saying rings true in life all the way from your house to the Dallas Cowboys to Amazon.
    If 1995- 2018 doesn't show fans the proof of our overall ineptness nothing will.
    Jerry has totally ignored the importance of coaching, going back to 1994 when he stated 500 coaches could have won the SB with our team. Look it up guys and gals. I can't make up stories like this.
    Yes Jerry is a great marketer and businessman when running the Cowboys and yes he has learned the importance of drafting and having a great scout system. The biggest problem is he doesn't believe coaching matters. This is the NFL, the only league where coaching really does matter.
    I'm hoping Jerry comes to his senses and address the biggest blindspot, either through change or some how Garrett going into his 9th year as HC finally gets it. Good luck to us all.

DandyDon52 likes this.
  11. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

33,789 Messages
    47,920 Likes Received
    I caught that ESPN 30 for 30 about Jerry (or maybe it was a NFLN production).

Anyway, one thing Jerry said that stuck with me. He wanted to be a HC in the NFL. And, unfortunately, I think that desire manifested itself in his run of head coaches that he though he could influence or even live vicariously through.

Pantone282C, dckid and GenoT like this.
  12. stasheroo

51,224 Messages
    48,733 Likes Received
    There's no denying that it's gradually gotten to that point anyway. The further Garrett has been removed from coaching and gameday decisions, the better the results have gotten. His best role is "walkaround coach", and the organization has realized that and taken steps to make sure that's where he stays.

But the sad fact is that he has still managed to bungle hiring decisions made on assistant coaches. Linehan was "his guy" and Bill Callahan wasn't. Meanwhile, Callahan continues to be a jerk, but a jerk that is among the best in the league at coaching offensive line. We've dropped off some since his departure.

And Garrett followed that up by signing Paul Alexander to screw up this offensive line, that was his call, and he had to fire the guy before mideseason. Another huge indictment.

13. stasheroo

51,224 Messages
    48,733 Likes Received

The Rams "running at will" had absolutely nothing to do with anything the Cowboys offense was or wasn't doing.
    :facepalm:

14. Hennessy_King

Hennessy_King Well-Known Member

4,448 Messages
    5,314 Likes Received
    The article somehow left out bum bum 0-16 marinelli and his trash aged scheme

15. stasheroo

51,224 Messages
    48,733 Likes Received
    They said coaching.

DakPresgoat and DFWJC like this.
  16. Hennessy_King

4,448 Messages
    5,314 Likes Received
    Yeh but in the details they only spoke about JG and Moore. Easy there buckaroo

DakPresgoat likes this.
  17. stasheroo

51,224 Messages
    48,733 Likes Received
    Relax. I only stated the obvious. They said coaching was the fatal flaw. Marinelli is a coach.

DakPresgoat likes this.
  18. Hennessy_King

4,448 Messages
    5,314 Likes Received
    So you are arguing just to argue? I didn't know my wife made an account on here.

19. erod

erod Well-Known Member

26,437 Messages
    36,094 Likes Received
    Just for context, about 28 fan bases are complaining about coaching year round. It's that way in every sport.

TwentyOne likes this.
  20. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

13,108 Messages
    22,389 Likes Received
    The Rams ran at will from the opening kickoff. They had 15 rushes for 95 yards - over 6 yards a pop - on their first two drives, sandwiched around a TD drive by the Cowboys offense.