CBS Sports Patrik Walker Sources on Nolan’s Future

Kaiser

Reaction score
Edwards LBs have looked somewhere between lost and hopeless all year. I'm not sure I'd promote him, but perhaps he simply would teach a totally different scheme.

Nolan likely gets a demotion with no pay cut which is why he'd consider taking it until better opps came up.

Marvin Lewis was a stud DC about 20 years ago so I'd pass on that route as well. Patricia is my top choice as I expect Saleh to get a Head Coaching job.

It may not be that way in reality but the org chart says Scott McCurley is the LB Coach and Edwards is the "Senior Defensive Assistant", which is clearly a position they created on paper when he became available and they wanted to hire him.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It was reported as a Rooney Rule interview but also that Dallas was picking his brain for defensive insights. You could also see a scenario where Dallas wanted him to be the DC but McCarthy didn't go along with it. This is a generic article on his visit -

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...-reasons-for-the-coach-marvin-lewis-interview

He would be a great hire but only if MM is 100% on board coz I can see his relationship with Stephen can cause friction for a thin-skinned coach. Hard to say if it would be an issue with MM. Don't think it would but never know......remember Garrett/ Callahan? lol

Kaiser

Reaction score
He would be a great hire but only if MM is 100% on board coz I can see his relationship with Stephen can cause friction for a thin-skinned coach. Hard to say if it would be an issue with MM. Don't think it would but never know......remember Garrett/ Callahan? lol

McCarthy and Lewis are both very strong personalities, but they are also older and wiser than they were before. Add in "much better paid" and you have to think they could work together. Especially since Lewis is the kind of guy you hand the keys to the defense to and quit worrying.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It may not be that way in reality but the org chart says Scott McCurley is the LB Coach and Edwards is the "Senior Defensive Assistant", which is clearly a position they created on paper when he became available and they wanted to hire him.
He's a LB Coach in reality and that's his specialty.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
McCarthy and Lewis are both very strong personalities, but they are also older and wiser than they were before. Add in "much better paid" and you have to think they could work together. Especially since Lewis is the kind of guy you hand the keys to the defense to and quit worrying.
Lewis hasn't coordinated a defense in a very long time.
Which means he hasn't really done so versus modern offenses.
Perhaps he's done some studying up on them and is ready but that's a pretty big gamble.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Edwards LBs have looked somewhere between lost and hopeless all year. I'm not sure I'd promote him, but perhaps he simply would teach a totally different scheme.

Nolan likely gets a demotion with no pay cut which is why he'd consider taking it until better opps came up.

Marvin Lewis was a stud DC about 20 years ago so I'd pass on that route as well. Patricia is my top choice as I expect Saleh to get a Head Coaching job.
I wonder how much of Patricia's success was actually just him piggybacking Billy Beli?

ryanbabs

Reaction score
Some people don’t like this guy as a source not really sure why. Go through his Twitter feed he’s been pretty spot on about a lot of things in the last few years. Anyways here’s a snippet and link from his new article concerning Nolan’s remarks on his future.

“The needle of change is instead aimed at Mike Nolan, the team's defensive coordinator who leads a historically bad unit that has been roundly criticized for not only continued lack of execution but, more importantly, lack of effort. The much-needed moral and actual victory over the lowly Cincinnati Bengals doesn't change the temperature beneath Nolan's seat one iota, sources told CBS Sports on Monday, and it will take some very fervent convincing to sway owner Jerry Jones into keeping him onboard.”

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...think-about-it/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Hope Jerry isn’t keeping him next season. All the more reason to tank and look like crap defensively lol.
The fact that McCarthy hasn’t already fired him says a lot about McCarthy as well....they both need to go.

817Gill

Reaction score
The most important thing for me is in terms of the players they draft. If they decide to give Nolan another year are they gonna give him his guys in the draft? And when he again doesn’t work are we going to have a bunch of mismatch talent on D?

Unless you have the upmost confidence he is the defensive mind for years to come you’ve got to let him go now.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

1000%........but I also like the fact he's spent the last few around college talent and was a positional LBer coach before becoming DC and HC. Remember MM left his D to Capers in Green Bay for years.....

Kaiser

Reaction score
Lewis hasn't coordinated a defense in a very long time.
Which means he hasn't really done so versus modern offenses.
Perhaps he's done some studying up on them and is ready but that's a pretty big gamble.

Didn't he always have the dominant say in his defenses, like Sean McVay with the Rams offense? Also from a quick search he fired his DC midyear in 2018 and formally took over the DC role for the rest of that season.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
New d coordinator to whip this team into shape. And possibly a top 5 pick in parsons or surtain or another cb that he can start his cowboys coaching career with

stilltheguru

Reaction score

Edwards linebackers?

Gaede

Reaction score
I do think Nolan will be demoted, not fired. But I sincerely doubt they promote from within to replace him. You can't sell any of our current coaches as a resolution to a gigantic problem they played a role in.

If anything, they'll look for a quick fix, hire a big name like Lewis to coach the coaches they already have under contract. Gives Jerry a decent solution with the least amount of effort

Beaker42

Reaction score
Some people don’t like this guy as a source not really sure why. Go through his Twitter feed he’s been pretty spot on about a lot of things in the last few years. Anyways here’s a snippet and link from his new article concerning Nolan’s remarks on his future.

“The needle of change is instead aimed at Mike Nolan, the team's defensive coordinator who leads a historically bad unit that has been roundly criticized for not only continued lack of execution but, more importantly, lack of effort. The much-needed moral and actual victory over the lowly Cincinnati Bengals doesn't change the temperature beneath Nolan's seat one iota, sources told CBS Sports on Monday, and it will take some very fervent convincing to sway owner Jerry Jones into keeping him onboard.”

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...think-about-it/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Hope Jerry isn’t keeping him next season. All the more reason to tank and look like crap defensively lol.
If this franchise and staff isn’t missing Nolan by start of voluntary workouts and OTA’s I will be PIZZZZZED.