CBS Sportsline - Overrated & Underrated players from each team

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
it was alright, go to the imagezone, made a sig today for your boy ST, thought you might like it

awww, come on. that dude isnt going to jail! but its still funny- but only a little bit.

the civil suit is another deal.....

Gibbs II

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I completely agree.

We last won a playoff game in the Wildcard Playoffs after the 1996 season. We annihilated the Vikings in that game by the way. Since then we have lost in the Wildcard Playoffs twice.

I don't see Cowboys fans lauding that win. Yeah, I know it was 10 years ago. We still don't bring it up.

The last significant game we laud is Super Bowl XXX. Until we win another one I hope it stays that way. I'd hate for Cowboys fans to be all puffed up over 1 lousy win that was insignificant in the long run.

That game saved our season, gibbs, brunell, santana, and the team. Trust me. First of all, look at the last 17 7/8th games before that. The offense was miserable at best and it still seemed like we couldnt get anything going even with Gibbs self appointed QB in brunell. Him along with steve smith proved that the idea of a small fast WR was still good in the NFL, saving santana and snyder from getting critisized about overpaying a small wide out.

That game launched our season and if it wasnt for that win, say we were still 5-6 even if we still lost against dallas, if it wasnt for that win, the chances of us pulling off 5 in a row would have gone down dramatically.

We were in the bottom of the barrel with 5 minutes left, i cant describe how much that game helped us. It was on monday night, against our rivals who have been just killing the skins with tough loses for what seemed like forever, and that win gave us the balls to say that we can and should win.

Gibbs II

Reaction score
riggo said:
sorry i was out of town all weekend and also that my last post was hasty as i was in a rush.

my intent was to respond to your post when you said something about "I'd hate for Cowboys fans to be all puffed up over 1 lousy win that was insignificant in the long run."

1fisher was boasting about the play where crayton burned taylor, and hopefully i posted that link. i said that i thought it was silly to talk about that play since tayor redeemed himself with a hit on crayton that helped seal the game.

my point about the playoffs was in response to the posters who (even since i posted last) knock the skins 'offensive' (no pun intended) performance in the playoffs, yet the boys werent there.

i think the points overlapped, thus the confusion.

on another note, i'm drinking a sam adams scotch ale at the moment. anyone else enjoying a decent beer? :cheers:

No, ther is nothing to apoligize for. What you said in that context was perfectly clear and understandable. I honestly dont know why he got upset at you.

I mean look at it, you bolded exactly what you were responding to and made a valid point. the "7th round draft pick" TD win was 50x less important than the Santana catches.

http://dallascowboyszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=916778&postcount=205

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gibbs II said:
that win gave us the balls to say that we can and should win.
In September. Hos was just pointing out (corectly I might add) that the standard for the Cowboys is how we play in January when it counts. While losing always hurts, a game in September means nothing compared to a game much more significant or important in January. Hang your hats on W's I agree. But keep everything in perspective and remember there are more important games to be played.

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
Washington Commanders

Underrated: Fellow safety Sean Taylor is a monster player whose talent has been overshadowed by his off-field incident. He's an elite safety.
UTTER BS

Gibbs II

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
In September. Hos was just pointing out (corectly I might add) that the standard for the Cowboys is how we play in January when it counts. While losing always hurts, a game in September means nothing compared to a game much more significant or important in January. Hang your hats on W's I agree. But keep everything in perspective and remember there are more important games to be played.

2 points.

Both responses to the bold.

That game in september meant that much because of what i posted above. Simple as that.

Without that win, we probably wouldnt have gotten into the playoffs.

Of course wins in january are more important simply because if you lose, you dont play anymore, but thats win this WIN was so damn important. And i do agree that a loss in september isnt going to end the season but im not talking about the loss for you guys, im just talking about what the win did for us. The culture of the past 5 years has been on of false hope and disaster more or less. That win quite singlehandedly changed all of that. And on the other si

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Gibbs II said:
2 points.

Both responses to the bold.

That game in september meant that much because of what i posted above. Simple as that.
How incredibly sad.

Without that win, we probably wouldnt have gotten into the playoffs.
Every win is important. You Skins fans are trying to use that win to get under skin here. It is tired. Laud your September Super Bowl somewhere else.

I for one have NEVER bagged on the Washington Commanders for the 2 Super Bowls in the strike years. I respect Champions.

I have utter disdain for the weak smack of "we swept you in 2005." Whoop dee freaking doo. I went on ES after both games and offered my congratulations. It's called being a sportsman and even a gentleman.

Some of your cohorts around here wouldn't know class if it jumped up and bit them in the shorts.

Of course wins in january are more important simply because if you lose, you dont play anymore, but thats win this WIN was so damn important. And i do agree that a loss in september isnt going to end the season but im not talking about the loss for you guys, im just talking about what the win did for us. The culture of the past 5 years has been on of false hope and disaster more or less. That win quite singlehandedly changed all of that. And on the other si
Like I said, how incredibly sad.

Kevin

Commanders Fan
Reaction score
This thread has become a circus. I mean seriously, its up there with the likes of the Barnum Brothers and Cirque Du Soleil.

The same arguments made in this thread have not developed at all since their conception. What makes you think bringing it all up again is going to solve anything?

Never will a Cowboy fan admit that Sean Taylor is better. Why? Because Roy Williams is your Safety, and you freaking love the guy! The same goes for Commanders fans and Sean Taylor. It isn't a difficult concept to grasp. No matter what stats are presented, or images and video clips are brought to our attention, fans will always stay loyal to their team's players.

The only reason that the Sean Taylor vs. Roy Williams debate exists is because both teams have fantastic safeties with galaxies of potential. We love that fact, and we will defend it to our deathbeds.

Just as all the Cowboy fans have been saying, "Sure, you can focus on a few mistakes made by Roy- but look at all the marvelous plays he's made." The same thing can be said for Sean. Skins fans will hate highlighting Roy's positives just as much as Boys refuse to respect Taylor.

All the media that's been presented here hardly proves a point as to either safeties skill. Anyone that knows how to use Google could make Peyton Manning look like Ryan Leaf and vice versa.

As for the constant upbringing of the infamous 14-13 game. Alright, it happened. It was awesome...but it's almost been a year now. I know it was a heartbreaker for Boys fans, but it's time to stop beating the dead horse. Skins fans are constantly trying to prove that the Skins were better than the Cowboys last year. Stop pointing to 14-13 (a game in which the Cowboys outplayed us and we admittedly got lucky at the end), and take a look at the fact that we made the playoffs, and they didn't. If you are going to focus on a game, focus on the 35-7 game, where we actually were the better team. The fourteen to thirteen game has got to be incredibly irritating for these guys to constantly hear about. They know what happened.

That being said, if the same had happened to the Commanders we'd never stop hearing about it, either. It's all wishful thinking. The Dallas/Washington rivalry will always be heated, and it will have it's grasp on trivial things such as football message boards, as well.

My fellow Skins brethren- your attempts to talk down on Cowboys players and gain praise of Skins players are simly futile. This is CowboysZone- this is a place for people to talk about the Cowboys. If the Commanders are to be brought up, it is going to be in a negative fashion. You must come to understand this.

John813

Reaction score
Good post.

Never will a Cowboy fan admit that Sean Taylor is better. Why? Because Roy Williams is your Safety, and you freaking love the guy! The same goes for Commanders fans and Sean Taylor. It isn't a difficult concept to grasp. No matter what stats are presented, or images and video clips are brought to our attention, fans will always stay loyal to their team's players.

:hammer:

Gibbs II

Reaction score
Hostile said:
How incredibly sad.

Every win is important. You Skins fans are trying to use that win to get under skin here. It is tired. Laud your September Super Bowl somewhere else.

I for one have NEVER bagged on the Washington Commanders for the 2 Super Bowls in the strike years. I respect Champions.

I have utter disdain for the weak smack of "we swept you in 2005." Whoop dee freaking doo. I went on ES after both games and offered my congratulations. It's called being a sportsman and even a gentleman.

Some of your cohorts around here wouldn't know class if it jumped up and bit them in the shorts.

Like I said, how incredibly sad.

When you say how sad, what are you trying to do? Put me and the skins down? You can deal with that fact by minimizing the situation and by putting us down, but it is what it is. And its funny when you say thats sad because like i said, if it wasnt for that, we maybe wouldnt be in the playoffs, AND you guys probably WOULD be in the playoffs.

I hope you are talking about my 'cohorts' because I have never once bragged about a sweep of you guys and I dont really care. I care about what that win meant to us, and for us, it meant the playoffs, whether we knew it then or not.

apickmans

Reaction score
Kevin said:
This thread has become a circus. I mean seriously, its up there with the likes of the Barnum Brothers and Cirque Du Soleil.

The same arguments made in this thread have not developed at all since their conception. What makes you think bringing it all up again is going to solve anything?

The only reason that the Sean Taylor vs. Roy Williams debate exists is because both teams have fantastic safeties with galaxies of potential. We love that fact, and we will defend it to our deathbeds.

Just as all the Cowboy fans have been saying, "Sure, you can focus on a few mistakes made by Roy- but look at all the marvelous plays he's made." The same thing can be said for Sean. Skins fans will hate highlighting Roy's positives just as much as Boys refuse to respect Taylor.

All the media that's been presented here hardly proves a point as to either safeties skill. Anyone that knows how to use Google could make Peyton Manning look like Ryan Leaf and vice versa.

As for the constant upbringing of the infamous 14-13 game. Alright, it happened. It was awesome...but it's almost been a year now. I know it was a heartbreaker for Boys fans, but it's time to stop beating the dead horse. Skins fans are constantly trying to prove that the Skins were better than the Cowboys last year. Stop pointing to 14-13 (a game in which the Cowboys outplayed us and we admittedly got lucky at the end), and take a look at the fact that we made the playoffs, and they didn't. If you are going to focus on a game, focus on the 35-7 game, where we actually were the better team. The fourteen to thirteen game has got to be incredibly irritating for these guys to constantly hear about. They know what happened.

That being said, if the same had happened to the Commanders we'd never stop hearing about it, either. It's all wishful thinking. The Dallas/Washington rivalry will always be heated, and it will have it's grasp on trivial things such as football message boards, as well.

My fellow Skins brethren- your attempts to talk down on Cowboys players and gain praise of Skins players are simly futile. This is CowboysZone- this is a place for people to talk about the Cowboys. If the Commanders are to be brought up, it is going to be in a negative fashion. You must come to understand this.

aint that da toof

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
Gibbs II said:
No, ther is nothing to apoligize for. What you said in that context was perfectly clear and understandable. I honestly dont know why he got upset at you.

I mean look at it, you bolded exactly what you were responding to and made a valid point. the "7th round draft pick" TD win was 50x less important than the Santana catches.

http://dallascowboyszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=916778&postcount=205

i thought it was, too. (thought maybe i posted the wrong link or something):confused:

superpunk

Reaction score
Gibbs II said:
And its funny when you say thats sad because like i said, if it wasnt for that, we maybe wouldnt be in the playoffs, AND you guys probably WOULD be in the playoffs.

What that is, is ridiculous.

Point being, after that game, the Cowboys went on to win 6 of their next 8 games, achieved a 7-3 record, had the top-rated passer in the NFC, and were well-poised for the playoffs. OTOH, the Skins went 3-6 over their next 9 games, for a 5-6 record, getting blanked 36-0 by the Giants.

To claim that game had anything to do with who went and who stayed home from the playoffs is ridiculous. The fact is, the Cowboys had a few bad breaks with their field goal kickers (in games against WAS, DEN, and SEA), and came up small against NY, and REAL small against the Skins. The Skins finished strong, the Cowboys limped pathetically to that finish line. That's something to be proud of - so be proud of that. As you said, coming on here and jocking a game everyone here knows you shouldn't have won anyway, is only going to irritate, because of it's tired stupidity.

If Skins fans want to brag on something, brag on the fact that Gibbs rallied that team for a strong push at season's end, while Parcells couldn't get his team anything better than a pathetic 2-4 record to close the year. That makes more sense than shoving a game that was ultimately meaningless in our faces like we actually care anymore.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:eekmouse:
img6099254.jpg
portis2.jpg

...the more things change, the more they stay the same.

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk said:
If Skins fans want to brag on something, brag on the fact that Gibbs rallied that team for a strong push at season's end, while Parcells couldn't get his team anything better than a pathetic 2-4 record to close the year. That makes more sense than shoving a game that was ultimately meaningless in our faces like we actually care anymore.

i understand what youre saying. the 5 game stretch was obviously key at the end. clearly, when the skins ended up 1 game away from being eliminated, all season wins mattered, but i see that game being important in a few respects.

first, it was only the second time the skins had won in 15 games vs the boys. but, the way they won was notable. i dont know how many games the skins blew in the final minutes during that miserable streak when they had a lead (bailey getting burned by ismail, davis fumbling the game away, crayton beating taylor, etc.). for once, the skins were on the other side of that. it seemed the monkey was off the skins back....... finally.

it was also significant in that it was, basically, moss' coming out party. he had had a great season 2 seasons before, but he made a name for himself that day.

finally, it was important cuz it lead to the first sweep of the skins vs the boys in 10 years.

a couple of other things- remember that the skins didnt get into the end zone the week before vs the (then) lowly bears at home. it took almost 120 minutes for the skins to finally score a TD. it also started the process of gibbs being validated for sticking with brunell (who was horrible the previous year and up til the end of that game) who went on to have a pretty good season, even though me faded at the end of it.

superpunk

Reaction score
riggo said:
i understand what youre saying. the 5 game stretch was obviously key at the end. clearly, when the skins ended up 1 game away from being eliminated, all season wins mattered, but i see that game being important in a few respects.

first, it was only the second time the skins had won in 15 games vs the boys. but, the way they won was notable. i dont know how many games the skins blew in the final minutes during that miserable streak when they had a lead (bailey getting burned by ismail, davis fumbling the game away, crayton beating taylor, etc.). for once, the skins were on the other side of that. it seemed the monkey was off the skins back....... finally.

it was also significant in that it was, basically, moss' coming out party. he had had a great season 2 seasons before, but he made a name for himself that day.

finally, it was important cuz it lead to the first sweep of the skins vs the boys in 10 years.

I realize all the baloney symbolism that fans have attached to that game. That's all it is, though - baloney. The current coaching staff hadn't been a part of that stretch. The current players hadn't really been a part of it. More importantly, it's not like that win was a springboard for anything - the Skins stunk after that game. 3-6. They finished healthy, and strong.

If after that game, the Skins had won 8 in a row - I'd agree with you. That game would have been regarded as huge. But they didn't. The Skins springboard came against STL - not Dallas. And it just happened to come right when the Cowboys started to fall apart, not being able to defend the run, or run the football.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I really dont care what Skins fans say about hte monday night meltdown, Ive said every word I can think of about it, it was legendary

.....I just think its kind of sad that half of them have sigs dedicated to one game, some even have screen names dedicated to it

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Gibbs II said:
When you say how sad, what are you trying to do? Put me and the skins down?
Quite frankly, yes. Because my earlier comments weren't clear enough. I have NEVER gone onto an opposing fan's website and bragged about the Cowboys beating them. I find that to be repulsive and I don't condone it by our fans any more than I do you doing it here.

You want to be happy about that win, I am perfectly fine with that. You should be. Be happy on your turf. Coming here to rub it in, or to try and make us pat you on the back is tired.

Our Guidelines say we welcome a little friendly smack talk. Clearly we do or the ban hammer would have dropped long ago on many of the Skins fans who come here for no other reason than to be jerks. There is such a thing as a broken record. To give you an analogy, at one time Disco music was the in thing. It's dead. Dropping it would be smart.

You can deal with that fact by minimizing the situation and by putting us down, but it is what it is.
You know what, you're so far off base that my grandmother could pick you off and she'd have to roll the ball to the 1st baseman. Want a real easy example?

Philadelphia has owned us for the last several years. At one time they were beating us by an average of like 28 points per game. Last year we swept them the same way you swept us. Which sweep do you think gets more play here? Find me the last time you see Cowboys fans bragging about sweeping the Eagles.

Just for your gee whiz collection, as of the writing of this response we have 6777 members, roughly 100 of which are Commanders fans. Yet the Commanders sweep of us gets about 10 times the attention.

Does that tell you anything? Tells me volumes.

And its funny when you say thats sad because like i said, if it wasnt for that, we maybe wouldnt be in the playoffs, AND you guys probably WOULD be in the playoffs.
So what exactly is the problem with crowing about it on your turf and acknowledging that this is our house? I don't care how much you sing and dance and howl at the moon about it in your house. Over here, we're sick and tired of you guys acting like jerks. As I said before, not once have I ever gone on an opposing team's site and poked the alligators. You guys are getting snapped at here. You freaking deserve it. Same as our fans who go to your site and act like jerks deserve it there.

Sportsmanship matters to me. It does for guys like Kevin, Wheat, Henry, SkinsandTerps, Monte51Coleman, and Om too. They don't come over here acting like we need to bow down to the Mighty Commanders. It isn't ever going to happen here so shut your festering gob about it. They come here, talk football, crack actual jokes, and generally get along with everyone.

Respect is earned, not demanded.

I hope you are talking about my 'cohorts' because I have never once bragged about a sweep of you guys and I dont really care.
Bragging about a win or a sweep on the other guy's turf pretty much amounts to the same thing. It proves you aren't here to talk football, you're here to be involved in a pissing match. So don't cry when you get drenched in urine.

I care about what that win meant to us, and for us, it meant the playoffs, whether we knew it then or not.
I'm fine with that. It ought to be handled in your house. Not here. If that's still too hard for you to grasp then I refer again to my quote about class. Some of you wouldn't know class if it jumped up and bit you in the shorts.