CBSportsline / Prisco's NFL Power Rankings

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Gibbs II said:
but if we paid him that much, I think we will get some value out of it.

so contract costs is how you tell how good a player will be?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gamebreaker said:
Someone let me know when an off-season Power Rankings will ever be relevant to how things play out on the field. Until then...who cares?
Says the fan of the team always ranked lower than their arch rival.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
Well if we won 4 out of the 7, then obviously we did some of the things necessary to win that game. Whether that was at the beginning or at the end of the game doesn't really matter does it?

And as for coming out flat.... it's naive to think every team is going to come out for every game guns blazing over a 16 game schedule. The things that makes teams winners is whether they can overcome their not so great games to win those games. In the NFL's age of parity, you're rarely going to come out and blow a team out of the stadium.

As I said to Gibbs II, it is ludicrous to think that the Commanders(or any team for that matter), never came out flat.

Yes, I would have to be living in Pony Land to think that we could come out firing every game. I just think that 7 out of 16 is too high, I want that number to go down to about 4 or 5. Then we'll be a good team. I don't expect this team to come out firing every game, but I want this team to come out firing most of the time.

What IMO, I saw too much of was a dreary Cowboys team not ready to fight the battle. Of course, this happens to everyone, but if the Cowboys are to reach the level that we know they can reach, they've gotta come out strong more than they have. Injuries will have a lot to do with that.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Gibbs II said:
Ask Cinci and the Seahawks if they are afraid of ARE, ask the Lions (who he returned a punt for a TD against), ask a lot of teams and they will say that they fear the big play possibility from ARE. For lloyd? ill give you the fact that he isnt the most consistant WR, but if you see the amazing catches he makes, you would fear what he can do. We got him to tap into that potential we see on those great one handed catches.

As for Patten... hes reeeeeeeel mean.

As for those sunglasses, they are burgandy and gold mofizzle.

Yeah.....I forgot...burgandy and gold.

Being a man, I only see red and yellow. :D

EDIT: As for the O-line, I want to see the debate going, but I would just love to see your guys excuses if it still sucks/ JJ is bad/ Bledsoe gets sacked 100 times.

Hey, if that happens, then our OL sucks. Plain and simple....Just like it sucked when we played you all in game two.

I fail to see how this is an excuse.

It's reality.

But you can't tell me that an OL with Flozell Adams, Kyle Kosier, Al Johnson, Marco Rivera (healthy), and Jason Fabini isn't an improvement over Torrin Tucker, Larry Allen, Al Johnson, Marco Rivera (injured back), and Rob Petiti.

Even if Kosier-for-Allen is a downgrade, we've upgraded at both tackle positions and one guard position. We'll probably take an OL, possibly two, on the first day of the draft.

I'll take an AVERAGE-at-BEST OL any day over what we had to end the season last year. An average OL only makes us a stronger offense. Heck, even a healthy Flo will do wonders for the OL.

Don't mistake me.....I'm not saying the Skins suck. I actually think that any of the four NFC East teams can win the division. And......I tire of the Skins fans getting on our board after being so cowardly for years, and using that last game to measure our two teams.....It's clearly the injury situation that decided the fates of our teams.

Dallas was snakebitten. We kept suffering injury after injury. And the injuries were serious. No fewer than seven major contributors missed six games or more. We weren't good enough to overcome that (and most teams wouldn't be). The Eagles faced injury situations all year. The Giants were hit hard at the end of the season. Your team was relatively healthy during the stretch.....your team was able to take advantage of the situation. There's no shame in it. We did the same thing in 2003.

I think you all have a better team than we had in 2003....but it's the same type of situation.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:
As I said to Gibbs II, it is ludicrous to think that the Commanders(or any team for that matter), never came out flat.

Yes, I would have to be living in Pony Land to think that we could come out firing every game. I just think that 7 out of 16 is too high, I want that number to go down to about 4 or 5. Then we'll be a good team. I don't expect this team to come out firing every game, but I want this team to come out firing most of the time.

What IMO, I saw too much of was a dreary Cowboys team not ready to fight the battle. Of course, this happens to everyone, but if the Cowboys are to reach the level that we know they can reach, they've gotta come out strong more than they have. Injuries will have a lot to do with that.

Fair enough... I actually agree with you. But you do have to admit if we come out flat say 5-7 times next year, and we win 3-4, that will be a sign of being a good team.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
Fair enough... I actually agree with you. But you do have to admit if we come out flat say 5-7 times next year, and we win 3-4, that will be a sign of being a good team.

Yes, and I agree with you. I'm just saying, if we don't come out flat, we won't need some of the miracle endings to the games that we've gotten so accustomed to in the 2005-2006 season.

But yes, if we do overcome bad starts like you say, I will be the first to admit we are a GREAT team. I just think that if we come out with a fire more times than not, we won't need to worry about finishing it off as much.

firehawk350

Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
Also Bledsoe > Brunell

Mark Brunell is rated higher. 85.9 vs. 83.7... And he's a much better runner. Weak argument in my opinion. You can say you like Bledsoe more then you like Brunell, you believe that with a better line he could be better but to just say he's better is pretty baseless

firehawk350

Reaction score
Bizwah said:
firehawk350 said:
What, did you not read what I wrote??? I clearly gave stats. What else do you want?

Stats don't tell the whole story.

If you knew anything about the Cowboys, then you would know that our OL was in shambles nearly from day one. And, I really don't care what happened two years ago. I guess I can point to our first three meetings with Portis, and claim that we had no problems shutting him down.

But he had a pretty good second game vs us didn't he?

Well if you venture off provable fact (stats) then what do you want to use to measure? We can use combine times, but i think they are much more irrelevant. Then we have to go with opinion. And that does nothing for proving a point. Stats don't tell the whole story, but I have yet to see a good argument for Julius Jones being an elite back.
Let's get this straight. You believe Jason Campbell won't be a good QB based on a couple of preseason games, yet, Julius Jones (who's had 2 seasons in the NFL) has yet to establish is going to be your franchise back? AT BEST, and I mean at very best, you can call him unproven talent. But 2 years to prove yourself is a lot less then most people get.

Bizwah said:
Again, STATS do NOT tell the whole story. Jones started four games, but he had to share time with Barber due to his ankle not being 100%. It wasn't 100% all year.

And no......it wasn't a cop out....High ankle sprains are difficult to overcome. I never said it was his first game back (if I did, I certainly didn't mean it), I said he was just coming back.....and that's true....he was feeling his way back the last part of the year.

Bizwah said:
I believe the second game vs the Skins was one of his first games back. And it wasn't his BEST game. His best game came the next week vs the Panthers when he rushed for 194 yards.

It wasn't anywhere CLOSE to his first game back. Before the Washington game, he logged 3 games where he carried over 20 times. He averaged 3.4 ypc. How long does it take to feel his way back into the game??? Do you really want a back that takes half the season to feel his way back?

Bizwah said:
Actually, his first game wasn't bad.....and as I've said, our OL had some problems all last year. We started the season banged up. That's why we look at the improvements on our OL and get excited. Rivera should be fully recovered....Adams will be back.....and we improve three-fold with Fabini at RT.

Arguably. We'll see, that's the best I can do to concede. You lost A LOT with losing LA. I think that will be felt this year. I don't think you did much more then shift personnel around. Also you got to remember FLO is 31 years old, he may not be fully recovered from his injury. When he goes out there, you may see a different tackle. You may not though.

Bizwah said:
Fine with me.....and JJ to be sure. I bet you'll change your tune by the end of the year......

Wait....I'm sorry....Once we win a game, you Skins fans will run and hide. None of you had the guts to post here before last year.

Cmon dude, your not doing THAT bad at this argument that you have to resort to name-calling and insults. I didn't have a computer 2 years ago and I was in basic training.

Bizwah said:
Yeah, this HORRIBLE OL helped Drew Bledsoe have one of the best passing seasons by ANY Qb in Dallas Cowboy history.

I can't wait to see what he'll do with an AVERAGE OL.

Statistically (we all know how you love those), our WRs were better than yours last year. And all that happened with our "Statue".

Yeah, TO's not gonna be a weapon. :confused:

The TO comment was taken out of context first off. I said if your O-line sucks, TO won't be MUCH of a weapon. Meaning if Bledsoe can't get him the ball, he's not going to be getting many yards. Do you disagree with this???
Best passing season by any QB in Cowboys history??? I don't think so. Aikman was on fire for years, what about Staubach (sp?)? Cmon man, Bledsoe had a good year, but it wasn't much more then good.
Statisically, you had a better receiver corp. I could argue that, but statistically you are right. Things might have been different if Patten was healthy, and things are definitely looking up by a lot by having Lloyd, ARE and Patten there. One falls flat, or goes down to injury, we can still field a very competitive 3 receiver set. And if Saunders could give Larry Johnson the season he gave him, imagine what he could do for Clinton Portis.

Bizwah said:
And I don't have a problem with you all thinking your better than us. You see the world through red and yellow sunglasses.

My problem lies with the fact that you all continue to point at the second game and say, "See we're sooooo much better than you.....How can adding five players elevate you guys above us when we were 28 points better?"

I'm simply pointing out those flaws.

I don't have a problem with you saying your better. Arguments can be made either way. I have never said we're that much better then you. I actually said the opposite. I have a problem with you guys thinking you are so much better then us. That TO makes you super bowl bound. TO made the Eagles, who were perennial NFC contenders super bowl bound. You didn't make the playoffs. Worry about those, then worry about the NFC Championship.