Twitter: Cedrick Wilson and Antwaun Woods tendered

Verdict

Reaction score
Heck, I'm wondering how Woods is feeling starting for 3 years and getting peanuts... while Poe comes in for a BBQ plate and is gone, but probably made way more money than Woods.

Like the two signings, glad Wilson is back for sure, and Woods hopefully will be a solid backup this season, finally.
Wilson is a very underrated signing. Woods may shine with limited reps where he can go balls to the wall.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don't understand. How does tendering Antawn Woods stop you from trading for Brown? Two million is nothing. If the Cowboys needed 2 million they can make certain roster moves to get 2 million. You get a solid rotational veteran for 2 million who's familiar with your defense? I see no issue with it. I'd love to just start over on defense but I don't know if that's realistic.
it doesnt the cluckers like to cluck...

the sky has fallen once again 3hrs into FA day 1..

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So they kept Turner on the roster all last year, never really played. Maybe on ST’s. Taking up a roster spot. So now they don’t offer a tender.
Probably figure they can resign him if no other interest from other teams. But just like this team to do using a roster spot.

king987

Reaction score
Like others said, I do hope Woods being tendered doesn't stop them from drafting or signing a big boy. Signing one feels unlikely, though. Woods is a very, very weak stopgap imo.

No problem with bringing Wilson back. I think tendering Wilson makes it almost a guarantee that a WR isn't drafted before Day 3. Would have to be a massive bargain, and even then I doubt it.

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
Hahahah.

Hey guys, DT is solved. Woods, Gallimore, Hill and likely some 4th round comp pick.

This is one stupid franchise.

Not all is lost, they are looking into multi million deal with Tom Doblin and that could add some strength instead of a 4th rd comp pick.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't understand. How does tendering Antawn Woods stop you from trading for Brown? Two million is nothing. If the Cowboys needed 2 million they can make certain roster moves to get 2 million. You get a solid rotational veteran for 2 million who's familiar with your defense? I see no issue with it. I'd love to just start over on defense but I don't know if that's realistic.

It doesn't necessarily preclude them from doing anything but they want to lament they don't have the cap space to make bigger moves. Here's one way you can. Stop signing your mediocre to bad low level players and pool the money and get a few better players in here.

Woods is a JAG. And he's not familiar with your defense. We have a brand new defense with a new DC.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Hahahah.

Hey guys, DT is solved. Woods, Gallimore, Hill and likely some 4th round comp pick.

This is one stupid franchise.

They added Poe and McCoy to the mix last year and were applauded almost universally (including here). Those signings didn't work out, but all this nonsense about them not addressing the position is just that--nonsense.

All that is beside the fact that you've declared they won't do anything else before they even have a chance to.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Another year of Woods as our starting 1T. Joy.

I feel a 1T coming in the draft. Looks like a lot of prospects around round 3. Good chance Woods doesn't even make the 53 this year. I think he was clearly on the bubble last year, and only remained on the roster because McCoy went down and we needed another body.
Likely we bring McCoy back. Hill and Gallimore make 3. A drafted 1T makes 4. That would make Woods 5th again, needing an injury to another player to remain on the roster, and this time, in his contract year. And that's before making any moves in free agency.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Both Antwan Woods and Cedrick Wilson are good depth players. It's good to see both of them being awarded with tenders. Wilson is one of my favorite backups and very deserving, imho. Woods is and has been useful in limited snaps.

Sydla

Reaction score
They added Poe and McCoy to the mix last year and were applauded almost universally (including here). Those signings didn't work out, but all this nonsense about them not addressing the position is just that--nonsense.

All that is beside the fact that you've declared they won't do anything else before they even have a chance to.

It's not nonsense. Even those that liked the moves of McCoy and Poe acknowledged they were short term fixes as both were older players. They weren't younger, better DTs that were going to be part of the team's future.

So no, they have never really addressed the DT position other than try a short term patch job (Paea was another attempt). The closest they have come is drafting Hill, who appears to be nothing special, all because Marinelli talked the Jones' into taking him.

History is on our side here by the way. The odds are heavily in the favor of the Cowboys bargain shopping in FA.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It's not nonsense. Even those that liked the moves of McCoy and Poe acknowledged they were short term fixes as both were older players. They weren't younger, better DTs that were going to be part of the team's future.

So no, they have never really addressed the DT position other than try a short term patch job (Paea was another attempt). The closest they have come is drafting Hill, who appears to be nothing special, all because Marinelli talked the Jones' into taking him.

History is on our side here by the way. The odds are heavily in the favor of the Cowboys bargain shopping in FA.
Free agency is for short term fixes.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It doesn't necessarily preclude them from doing anything but they want to lament they don't have the cap space to make bigger moves. Here's one way you can. Stop signing your mediocre to bad low level players and pool the money and get a few better players in here.

Woods is a JAG. And he's not familiar with your defense. We have a brand new defense with a new DC.
So you recommend they do what? This is free agency. Free agency is full of guys other teams don’t want.

Sydla

Reaction score
Free agency is for short term fixes.

It doesn't have to be.

But you guys can continue to make excuses for the Cowboys, their failures in FA and the fact this roster is year in and year out just not good enough to win anything of significance.

I mean how many times do we have to watch this movie to know how this goes? Skip the good players in FA, sign mostly low cost, bargain bin guys, they typically flame out and don't help the team, the team doesn't do much during the season because of roster flaws and then we repeat it the next offseason.

Sydla

Reaction score
So you recommend they do what? This is free agency. Free agency is full of guys other teams don’t want.

Maybe sign a player in FA that is an upgrade on Woods at the 1T.

It's not that hard. I mean using your silly logic, let's note Woods was a player we signed who wasn't wanted by the Titans. So he can't be good in your eyes since he's a reject from another team. But here you are defending the Cowboys on him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It doesn't have to be.

But you guys can continue to make excuses for the Cowboys, their failures in FA and the fact this roster is year in and year out just not good enough to win anything of significance.

I mean how many times do we have to watch this movie to know how this goes? Skip the good players in FA, sign mostly low cost, bargain bin guys, they typically flame out and don't help the team, the team doesn't do much during the season because of roster flaws and then we repeat it the next offseason.
You are the one making excuses. You seem to think these type of moves excuse their behavior in free agency and I’m telling you one has nothing to do with the other. You are the one making excuses.