Twitter: Cedrick Wilson and Antwaun Woods tendered

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Maybe sign a player in FA that is an upgrade on Woods at the 1T.

It's not that hard. I mean using your silly logic, let's note Woods was a player we signed who wasn't wanted by the Titans. So he can't be good in your eyes since he's a reject from another team. But here you are defending the Cowboys on him.
I’d agree with you if Woods is their answer to fixing the defensive line. I’ve seen nothing to suggest that though.

Sydla

Reaction score
You are the one making excuses. You seem to think these type of moves excuse their behavior in free agency and I’m telling you one has nothing to do with the other. You are the one making excuses.

Whose behavior am I excusing?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wilson tendered, Woods tendered, McQuaid signed. I told you guys to expect big things today.

Sydla

Reaction score
I’d agree with you if Woods is their answer to fixing the defensive line. I’ve seen nothing to suggest that though.

What have you seen that suggests to you that they plan on upgrading the 1T spot with a much better player? The closest they came to that was signing Poe last year but he was an older vet on a short term contract. They hit the bargain bin on Paea a couple years ago too and he burned out just like Poe.

So at this point, they keep bringing back Woods and ignoring upgrading the 1T position with a truly good prospect. Why should we expect something different?

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Makes sense, Woods is a solid rotational guy or backup. Wilson has flashed and excited for him if he gets more playing time. I would have tried to reach a nominal extension for Wilson 2-3 years. We kept the best rfa on our roster so that's a positive. Still plenty of money to work with.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Both Antwan Woods and Cedrick Wilson are good depth players. It's good to see both of them being awarded with tenders. Wilson is one of my favorite backups and very deserving, imho. Woods is and has been useful in limited snaps.

Thats the problem with this team, signing depth players who are jags and rotational players, but never really getting the starting caliber player. So you got jags starting and jags backing up and taking roster spots. . and we wonder why this defense stinks. The priority should be finding starters who can actually play. Jags can be found almost anywhere and signed for peanuts.

Sydla

Reaction score
Thats the problem with this team, signing depth players who are jags and rotational players, but never really getting the starting caliber player. So you got jags starting and jags backing up and taking roster spots. . and we wonder why this defense stinks. The priority should be finding starters who can actually play. Jags can be found almost anywhere and signed for peanuts.

Bingo.

The funny thing is some of these same people will be surprised when the season rolls around and Woods is logging major minutes at the 1T spot.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Like others said, I do hope Woods being tendered doesn't stop them from drafting or signing a big boy. Signing one feels unlikely, though. Woods is a very, very weak stopgap imo.

No problem with bringing Wilson back. I think tendering Wilson makes it almost a guarantee that a WR isn't drafted before Day 3. Would have to be a massive bargain, and even then I doubt it.
Woods can still leave in free agency, they only have the right to match - no compensation.

817Gill

Reaction score
Bingo.

The funny thing is some of these same people will be surprised when the season rolls around and Woods is logging major minutes at the 1T spot.
You’re not really encapsulating the point of view of those cool with the Woods resigning genuinely. Woods is a solid depth and contributing rotational player, not an ideal starter.

But because the front office doesn’t make the needed move to get a bonafide starter, doesn’t mean signing the solid depth player is bad. It’s the next step that the team refuses to take. Why be mad that you have depth? It’s not Woods fault they don’t get a real starter at 1T. Also, his tender is so cheap that it doesn’t really preclude them from finding a starter like Butler.

No one who liked Woods being back is content with that being the starter, we just acknowledge that you need depth and Woods provides that. Why’s that so bad lol.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

You can't have starters as backups. Most backups are going to be jags, like it or not. This is especially true with a GM and son who aren't inclined to spend enough to acquire very desirable backups. They aren't willing to spend much, because they're not good managers of the salary cap. If they were, it really wouldn't be nearly as necessary to be so cheap about signing them. You're right, that's a problem with this team but that's just one of them.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What have you seen that suggests to you that they plan on upgrading the 1T spot with a much better player? The closest they came to that was signing Poe last year but he was an older vet on a short term contract. They hit the bargain bin on Paea a couple years ago too and he burned out just like Poe.

So at this point, they keep bringing back Woods and ignoring upgrading the 1T position with a truly good prospect. Why should we expect something different?

Well I mean we are all sitting here going on the idea that this idea will be different than the last correct? Is that not what we are doing? What they did last year is no reflection on what they will do this year even though last year they did invest money in Poe and McCoy. Two moves I don't recall you having a issue with at the time. If you want to sit here and believe that them signing Woods has anything to do with them bargain shopping then go ahead but we all know that has nothing to do with it. If they had 50 million dollars worth of cap space they would spend that money on 10 different guys. This has to do with their philosophy not with the money they are spending on guys like Woods.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Bingo.

If that's the case then that is different than the approach they took last year. They had no intentions on Woods being the starter. He only started 7 games and didn't start until they shipped out Dontari Poe. Its no different than a Joe Looney signing.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
It's not nonsense. Even those that liked the moves of McCoy and Poe acknowledged they were short term fixes as both were older players. They weren't younger, better DTs that were going to be part of the team's future.

So no, they have never really addressed the DT position other than try a short term patch job (Paea was another attempt). The closest they have come is drafting Hill, who appears to be nothing special, all because Marinelli talked the Jones' into taking him.

History is on our side here by the way. The odds are heavily in the favor of the Cowboys bargain shopping in FA.

I obviously can't argue your last point. They don't spend in free agency and they've missed on the swings they have taken.

My guess is the plan was to keep McCoy and Poe for a couple years while Hill and Gallimore learned the ropes and were ready to take over. It's a sound plan and one I agree with. It just didn't work out.

The number of teams in the league applying heavy assets to the DT position is pretty thin.

The Cowboys may undervalue the position, but it's been propped up here as the end-all fixture for what ails the Cowboys defense, which is just silly.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I literally hate fans man... lol

AWoods is getting royally screwed over and you guys are bemoaning him.
Dude has been better than Tyrone Crawford the last 3 years and made 2 million dollars. Crawford made 27M over that stretch.

Now he's getting 2M tendered. Brutal.
Hopefully he can stay healthy and get paid next year.
Guy's getting murdered inside for a living and after taxes/fees he might have walked away with 1M total over his entire career.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hahahah.

Hey guys, DT is solved. Woods, Gallimore, Hill and likely some 4th round comp pick.

This is one stupid franchise.
If Zeke keeps putting on the pounds, we can move him to DT....

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
My pet cat Cedrick Wilson lives on as a Cowboy. I have visions of him catching the winning pass in the Super Bowl as time expires.

Sydla

Reaction score
This front office. You seem to think them signing Antawn Woods to a 2 million dollar tender is why they can't sign viable free agents.

That’s quite a spin on my comments. My point is they’d be better off saving the 2 million and use it sign a real 1T and then hit the bargain bin or draft for depth.

If you think I am making excuses for the front office e you haven’t been paying attention.

Sydla

Reaction score
I obviously can't argue your last point. They don't spend in free agency and they've missed on the swings they have taken.

My guess is the plan was to keep McCoy and Poe for a couple years while Hill and Gallimore learned the ropes and were ready to take over. It's a sound plan and one I agree with. It just didn't work out.

The number of teams in the league applying heavy assets to the DT position is pretty thin.

The Cowboys may undervalue the position, but it's been propped up here as the end-all fixture for what ails the Cowboys defense, which is just silly.

This defense would be better if they got better interior DT play. That’s undeniable. DT and S are two of our biggest issues.