CeeDee Lamb: Over or under 50 receptions

JBS

Reaction score
Packers love those screen passes that are basically automatic at the LOS...w as good as lamb is w the ball in his hands, I imagine he's going to get a good number of easy receptions

I'll take the over..but not by much

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
A couple of things.

Will he gain the trust of the coaching staff in critical situations? Game winning drives and such? Our Lads has him as the starting slot receiver now. The official Cowboys site has Cobb listed. They have not updated since the draft. But there is no one behind Cobb. One would expect Lamb wins that slot by default. So the opportunities should be available for him if he earns the trust of Dak or Dalton - if something unknown at this time occurs .

And how much will Blake Jarwin eat up some of his numbers? I predict this will be a break-out year for Jarwin if he stays healthy.

Will they get Pollard on the field with Zeke and put him in the slot? That will take up reps and catches.

How will Zeke be used in the passing game? I'd very much like to see Zeke as the safety valve in the flats, much like Emmitt back in the day. Run the defenders off and let Zeke get a head of steam.

How much will the screen be used? Dallas used to be a great screening team.

But, as much as I hear Garrett's offense and McCarthy's offense are similar, I never once heard anyone suggest Garrett ran a WCO. And that may play the most significant part of this discussion. Lamb glides. He doesn't look like he is really running fast, but he gets open. Then he seems to have another gear. From the slot he will be facing the nickle and dime CB, or safety, and linebackers if Moore can manipulate the defense.

Not to mention swapping receivers around so you are dictating the match-ups.

Health dictates everything.

I am usually far off on things like this. But I think he could have roughly between 60-70 catches for close to 900 yards.

At 65 catches and 900 yards is 13.84 a catch average, that 4.06 catches per contest. I may be a bit giddy about this guy.

But it comes down to trust and how quickly he can show he makes good and safe decisions protecting the ball. And his play becomes more of an asset against the other guys who will eat into his rookie campaign.

Last point.Cooper and Gallup outside. Jarwin and Lamb inside. Zeke stays home to block. Scheme dictates a quick release to defeat a blitz.

What does the defense do? Who do they double? Especially if the defense is caught in a run defense and not a nickle or dime. Or they take time outs, which could be seen as almost as good as a catch.

quickccc

Reaction score
40 rec
570 yds
4 tds

He's a rookie so some speed bumps and learning nuisances will be included.
i think he will play both slot and outside - and i could see him start a couple of games on the outside in subbing for injured Cooper and Gallup.
i think MM/Moore are gonna move him around. he won't be exclusively a slot.
:rolleyes:

JBS

Reaction score
40 rec
570 yds
4 tds

i think he will play both slot and outside - and i could see him start a couple of games on the outside in subbing for injured Cooper and Gallup.

While these numbers are completely possible, this would definitely be considered a poor start to his career

btcutter

Reaction score
I'm taking the over.

Wouldn't be surprised if he catches 65 passes for 1000 yards.

Excited to see what he does for the offense.

Still can't believe Dallas got him!

If Cowboys has a losing or 8-8 record then I take OVER.
If Cowboys has a winning season and makes the playoffs then I take UNDER.

This team's identity is Zeke. We win when we can run and use passes to keep D honest. This is our winning formula in the past and same for the future.
If we are playing from behind and leads the NFL in YARDS (useless benchmark) then Lamb will get close to 1000 yds but we will have a losing season again.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
50 catches is an easy under. He’s a rookie, and a rookie 3rd receiver at that. 40 catches would be a tougher call.
In the last five years, here are the rookie first rounders to do it: Amari, DJ Moore, Ridley.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Feminine response and weak. I'll remember to bump this thread.
Feminine response is weak? You really coming on here to make sexist comments? Surprised you haven’t been benched yet. And lambs explosiveness and RAC ability are his biggest assets lol. Are you ok?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I’m going with over.

2019 - Four players with over 50 catches
2018 - Three players with over 50 catches
2017 - Three players with over 50 catches
2016 - Three players with over 50 catches

Dak has always had three guys over 50 and usually one is in the 35-45 range.

I see Cooper, Gallup and Lamb going over 50.

Jarwin in the 40-50 range with Zeke / Pollard getting some catches.

I think that's a great over under. 50 makes it tough. I will take over. Lamb is a guy that doesn't need an over abundance of touches to do his damage. Might start out a little slower and come on in the 2nd half of the season.

quickccc

Reaction score
While these numbers are completely possible, this would definitely be considered a poor start to his career

as skilled as he is, it still will be a rookie learning year for him. It's a faster level of speed at the NFL vs college. i could be completely wrong if hes'
mature and savvy beyond his years, and he gains quicker than expected learning and QB rapport.
his break tackle run after catch skills could merit into big long runs that could also factor more than just his catch stats

Cobb had 55 catches 828 yds 4 TDs and 15.1 ypc. but he also had vast amount of NFL game experience and coaching.
That played an immediate factor in him hitting the ground running in just his lone one very productive year here.
How much of that will matter with the rookie Lamb ?

o_O

GenoT

Reaction score
If he starts (slot), over. If he doesn’t start, under.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
50 catches is an easy under. He’s a rookie, and a rookie 3rd receiver at that. 40 catches would be a tougher call.
In the last five years, here are the rookie first rounders to do it: Amari, DJ Moore, Ridley.

This is no longer Garretts offense where rookies come along slowly.

Cobb has to be replaced at over 50 catches and then Witten had over 50 catches. I personally don't think Jarwin will get to 50. And I expect the 3 WR set to be the staple formation. Should be between 50-60 catches.

Tussinman

Reaction score
The whole "rookie WRs start too slow" is misleading because your completely ignoring the situation of those WRs

Most high pick WR's either go to teams that struggle at WR (meaning there forced into a larger and more difficult role day 1) or they go to a team that doesn't have a high volume QB

CeeDees situation is like Calvin Ridleys a few years ago. Gets drafted to a team with a solid QB, a solid o-line, and a good supporting case of WRs.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
40 rec
570 yds
4 tds

I think James Proche could do that and he was the Ravens 6th round pick.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I'm taking the over.

I’d take that bet. Dude is the best overall WR in college. If Jason was coaching that’d be a bad bet, but since we’ve moved on from that S-show, I’d take that bet.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I'm taking the over.

Good post. I think Lamb is going to be a good one but rookie wideouts almost never put up good stats. I see Cooper, Gallup, Zeke and Jarwin all over 50 catches. Hard to see him get 50 plus ONLY because he is a rookie and likely the 5th option. I will take the under.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I'm taking the over.

Honestly, IMHO, this would have been catastrophic had the Iggles taken this kid. We’d be up S creek in my opinion.

This was our Zeke pick. Couldn’t believe back then we got him, still a huge Zeke supporter, and now we have Lamb! Unreal!

This pick goes even bigger than when we picked Elliott. I’m still shocked.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
IWouldn't be surprised if he catches 65 passes for 1000 yards
Yikes. He'd only be 7 catches shy from the most dominant rookie season by a WR in NFL history, Bill Groman.

Groman' record in 1960 was 72 catches, 1473 yards & 12 TD's. That said, under 50. ;)