Center: Either resign Biadasz or you're locked in to spending a top 60/90 pick

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I was just looking at FA Cs today and his name is the one that popped.
Believe he had an over 70 run blocking grade which is good. Denver might have cap concerns this offseason if they do walk away from Wilson's contract.

Gambit

Reaction score
Here is a fa center to watch Lloyd Cushenberry is coming off a breakout season with the Broncos.
Pff has him 9th week 16 among 39 centers projected to net $57 mil over 4 years with 34 mil guaranteed.

Not sure we can afford that with all other needs.

Conversely someone like Powers-johnson would be $14 mil total contract value with a 2.5 mil cap hit in 2024.

Biadasz projected 7 mil a year over 3 years

Just food for thought

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Pff has him 9th week 16 among 39 centers projected to net $57 mil over 4 years with 34 mil guaranteed.

Not sure we can afford that with all other needs.

Conversely someone like Powers-johnson would be $14 mil total contract value with a 2.5 mil cap hit in 2024.

Biadasz projected 7 mil a year over 3 years

Just food for thought
Point is, you don't want to have to reach to fill a need. No doubt Powers-Johnson would be an upgrade, but you don't take him if there is a higher graded player there. Plug the hole in fa and not forced to reach to fill the need.

Gambit

Reaction score
Point is, you don't want to have to reach to fill a need. No doubt Powers-Johnson would be an upgrade, but you don't take him if there is a higher graded player there. Plug the hole in fa and not forced to reach to fill the need.
While that may be true, I don't think he will be a reach at 24. In fact I am not convinced he will be there at 24.

I'm advocating for singing Biadasz and drafting a top center by the way.

There are people who had Fredricks as a 3rd dude, that worked out well.

Bluefin

Reaction score
That always depends on the situation.

How will Dallas address its OL issues during free agency before the draft in late April?

I don't see Tyler Biadasz getting a second contract. Tyron Smith, if he wants to play another season, should.

What other internal options do we have? Brock Hoffman surprised everyone by winning the reserve C/G job from Matt Farniok, but his best spot is probably the game day C/G reserve. Will T. J. Bass be an option or G only?

What if an established veteran is a salary cap casualty or available for peanuts in a trade?

And then, who's on the board at selection #24 (if they keep it).

How deep are those positions? Do they have enough talent to allow good prospects to remain on the board into rounds 2-4 or is it a case of slim pickings (get 'em early or not at all)?

Rarely will we see a CeeDee Lamb prospect still available, where he's so clearly BPA, you have to send in his name (and there was still discussion about who to take).

I'm advocating for singing Biadasz and drafting a top center by the way.
Biadasz sings?

j/k. The decision to re-sign Biadasz will also depend partly on the coaching staff. Mike Solari has plenty of critics and may not return. Center play regressed in 2023 and keeping Solari likely indicates a bringing in a new pivot.

There are people who had Fredricks as a 3rd dude, that worked out well.
Very true.

Travis Frederick was a bully center who'd still be playing if not for electing to retire early due to the effects of
of French Legionnaire Disease (I'm not looking up the correct name to bother spelling it).

We need a new bully center.

mooseman

Reaction score
Any interest in signing Conner Williams to replace Bia- bad- ish ?? pro bowler, but blew up his knee towards seasons end.. Just spit ballen , no picks needed signing

rambo2

Reaction score
Any interest in signing Conner Williams to replace Bia- bad- ish ?? pro bowler, but blew up his knee towards seasons end.. Just spit ballen , no picks needed signing
No, draft Jackson Powers-Johnson.

Croomraider

Reaction score

37. C CONNOR WILLIAMS, MIAMI DOLPHINS

Williams started his career with the Dallas Cowboys at left guard and blossomed in Miami at center, thriving as a run blocker in Mike McDaniel’s zone-blocking scheme where he was able to quickly get to the second level and lead the way. While he doesn’t have the world’s strongest anchor in a phone booth, his fast first step off the line enables him to seal off defenders on the backside of runs by getting in position.

Williams unfortunately suffered a torn ACL in Week 14, which will negatively impact his free agent market as his recovery process coincides with the beginning of free agency in March.
------------------------------------

LOL not totally serious but would be hilarious to see this forum lose their mind. Probably get him cheap cheap.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Both were undrafted fa's and are more suited as backup players at this juncture. If this team wants to improve their run game, it starts with finding a high level Center. Does that mean spending a 1st rd pick to land one? Maybe. Just look at the final 4 teams, 3 have elite Centers and they all have good success running the football.
Bass is starter material right now. There is no film out there that shows he’s more suited as a backup material. All film shows he’s ready to start.

Gambit

Reaction score
Both were undrafted fa's and are more suited as backup players at this juncture. If this team wants to improve their run game, it starts with finding a high level Center. Does that mean spending a 1st rd pick to land one? Maybe. Just look at the final 4 teams, 3 have elite Centers and they all have good success running the football.
Of those 3 elite centers how many are in top 10 or even 15 of salaries for Center. 1. That's it, just 1. Ragnow at 13.5 per year.

Lloyd Cushenbury's projected is over 14 mil a year

More evidence you opt for center in draft probably in 1st because I'm not convinced a top center makes it to 56 let alone 87.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Bass is starter material right now. There is no film out there that shows he’s more suited as a backup material. All film shows he’s ready to start.
It’s one thing to fill in it’s another when you are a starter, even Edoka looked good most of the time, but he was eventually exposed. Bass is no where near Martin or Tyler and isn’t athletic enough to play center

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I am really on the fence about Biadasz. On one hand, he's never really been that good. Connor Williams had some great moments, but Biadasz has always just been another guy.

On the other hand, OL continuity counts for something, and center contracts are cheap. Rookie centers start slow for a year or two, so you don't really get the guy you drafted for a couple seasons. Vets don't have that learning curve.

So I don't think Biadasz is a part of our core that we really need to pay, but paying him may be our best option right now.

I'm not a cap guy at all, and I don't know how much long-term money the Cowboys have free to spend. But on its face, the 3 years $20M proposed earlier sounds like a fair deal for Biadasz.

Last edited:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That always depends on the situation.

How will Dallas address its OL issues during free agency before the draft in late April?

I don't see Tyler Biadasz getting a second contract. Tyron Smith, if he wants to play another season, should.

What other internal options do we have? Brock Hoffman surprised everyone by winning the reserve C/G job from Matt Farniok, but his best spot is probably the game day C/G reserve. Will T. J. Bass be an option or G only?

What if an established veteran is a salary cap casualty or available for peanuts in a trade?

And then, who's on the board at selection #24 (if they keep it).

How deep are those positions? Do they have enough talent to allow good prospects to remain on the board into rounds 2-4 or is it a case of slim pickings (get 'em early or not at all)?

Rarely will we see a CeeDee Lamb prospect still available, where he's so clearly BPA, you have to send in his name (and there was still discussion about who to take).

Biadasz sings?

j/k. The decision to re-sign Biadasz will also depend partly on the coaching staff. Mike Solari has plenty of critics and may not return. Center play regressed in 2023 and keeping Solari likely indicates a bringing in a new pivot.

Very true.

Travis Frederick was a bully center who'd still be playing if not for electing to retire early due to the effects of
of French Legionnaire Disease (I'm not looking up the correct name to bother spelling it).

We need a new bully center.
I feel if they wanted to keep Biadasz, they would of already resigned him. My guess if they go that route, they sign a low cost veteran to a short-term contract to cover themselves. They might try to also cross train Bass as that was discussed during the season.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I am really on the fence about Biadasz. On one hand, he's never really been that good. Connor Williams had some great moments, but Biadasz has always just been another guy.

On the other hand, OL continuity counts for something, and center contracts are cheap. Rookie centers start slow for a year or two, so you don't really get the guy you drafted for a couple seasons. Vets don't have that learning curve.

So I don't think Biadasz is a part of our core that we really need to pay, but paying him may be our best option right now.

I'm not a cap guy at all, and I don't know how much long-term money the Cowboys have free to spend. But on its face, the 3 years $20M proposed earlier sounds like a fair deal for Biadasz.
If they want to improve their run game, I think it starts with upgrading the Center position. Championship weekend had 3 of the 4 teams that has elite starting centers. Think they are going to need to get more athletic moving forward, and moving on from both Tyron and Martin.

Gambit

Reaction score

I advocate for him being signed or is it signed lol too, but in no way should limit us from drafting a top center.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
do you take powers johnson or your LT of the future...Tyron's health makes everything very shakey.

Gambit

Reaction score
do you take powers johnson or your LT of the future...Tyron's health makes everything very shakey.
The question of the draft I think.

Just doing my own mock sims if I take OT first generally one of top C still available. If I take C first miss out on T worth 2nd round pick.

I think with flexibility of TSmith you get C first, preferably one with flex to guard. Barton or Powers-Johnson

Either way I think you sign both Tyron and Biadasz to negate a need reach