Charger Steve Foley shot by police officer

Angus

Reaction score
http://www.kusi.com/home/3815221.html

poway+pic.bmp

Video High
A San Diego Charger was shot Sunday morning by an off duty police officer. It happened around 3:30 Sunday morning..when an off duty Coronado police officer started following a man who was driving erratically. Police say the driver is Chargers linebacker Steve Foley.

The officer identified himself several times as a police officer, but Foley would not pull over. Foley then drove to his own neighborhood in Poway where he got out of the car and his girlfriend got behind the wheel. Police say Foley came at the officer who fired a warning shot. The woman then drove the car at the officer. The officer fired into the car, then shot Foley. But police say Foley kept coming, and the off duty officer shot him several more times. Foley was taken to Sharp Hospital for surgery. The woman was taken into custody. No charges have been filed yet. Steve Foley was arrested back in April for battery on a police officer and public drunkeness.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Keith Davis: "See, I'm not the only one. This happens all the time."

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that his job with the Chargers is over.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
off duty cops are just that, off duty.

not saying what the steve foley did was right but the cop is an idiot.
and the fact that foley now looks like an attempted cop killer is laughable and no doubt he and his GF will get the book thrown at them, regardless of the facts

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
stealth said:

and the fact that foley now looks like an attempted cop killer is laughable and no doubt he and his GF will get the book thrown at them, regardless of the facts
A cop is a cop...off duty or not. If they see someone driving drunk it's there duty to stop them.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
A cop is a cop...off duty or not. If they see someone driving drunk it's there duty to stop them.

whena guy is waiving a gun around yelling that he is a cop, that wouldn't make me act any differently than a guy waiving a gun around that wasnt yelling he was a cop. You point a gun at me and you aren't in a uniform no matter what you say I am afraid for my life and gonna fight back.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
I hope he makes it and seeks mental health I mean what sane person keeps coming at someone with a gun Cop or not. Heck he got shot and kept comming HELLO get a clue... It works like this first shot run away...

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Angus said:
http://www.kusi.com/home/3815221.html

poway+pic.bmp

Video High
A San Diego Charger was shot Sunday morning by an off duty police officer. It happened around 3:30 Sunday morning..when an off duty Coronado police officer started following a man who was driving erratically. Police say the driver is Chargers linebacker Steve Foley.

The officer identified himself several times as a police officer, but Foley would not pull over. Foley then drove to his own neighborhood in Poway where he got out of the car and his girlfriend got behind the wheel. Police say Foley came at the officer who fired a warning shot. The woman then drove the car at the officer. The officer fired into the car, then shot Foley. But police say Foley kept coming, and the off duty officer shot him several more times. Foley was taken to Sharp Hospital for surgery. The woman was taken into custody. No charges have been filed yet. Steve Foley was arrested back in April for battery on a police officer and public drunkeness.
Who knows whats going to happen when more facts come out. Why would you pull over if the guy is off duty and in a regular car? He could have thought the guy was trying to car jack him.

jman

Reaction score
stealth said:

Unless you know the policy of that particular police department, you should be careful calling a cop an idiot.

Some police departments require even off duty police officers to carry their weapon at all times and when needed act as if he was on duty if the circumstances calls for it.

Steve Foley is the idiot...that's without question. Period.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
I hope he makes it and seeks mental health I mean what sane person keeps coming at someone with a gun Cop or not. Heck he got shot and kept comming HELLO get a clue... It works like this first shot run away...
He may have thought the guy was going to kill him and his girlfriend. Anybody could say they are a cop add that to the fact that the article states he fired into the car first at his girlfriend before he fired at Foley.

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
jman said:
Unless you know the policy of that particular police department, you should be careful calling a cop an idiot.

Some police departments require even off duty police officers to carry their weapon at all times and when needed act as if he was on duty if the circumstances calls for it.

:hammer:

i dont get how anyone can judge a police officer, off duty or not, attempting to save lives by stopping a drunk idiot behind the wheel

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
koolaid said:
:hammer:

i dont get how anyone can judge a police officer, off duty or not, attempting to save lives by stopping a drunk idiot behind the wheel

it is not the job of the police to shoot whoever they want to, the cop was wrong, he couldn't have maced him? the guy had no weapon and the cop unloaded on him. Thats a bs move no matter what the policies are of that particular department.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
jman said:
Nobody knows all of the facts so saying Foley is an idiot is rediculous.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
Natedawg44 said:
He may have thought the guy was going to kill him and his girlfriend. Anybody could say they are a cop add that to the fact that the article states he fired into the car first at his girlfriend before he fired at Foley.
Read the article, she drove at the officer, then he fired.

If they thought it was a car-jacking, call 911 on the cell phone. Why drive to your home?

I do wonder how the officer "identified" himself if he was in an unmarked car. Does he carry a bullhorn?

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark said:
Read the article, she drove at the officer, then he fired.

If they thought it was a car-jacking, call 911 on the cell phone. Why drive to your home?

lol she is driving at the cop so the cop shoots steve foley multiple times?

sounds like he is an officer of the year candidate for sure.

dthahn

The Doctor Is IN!
Reaction score
Whatever the facts of the situation are, it is clear that Foley has a serious problem with alcohol or drugs and needs help.

This is bad for him and the Chargers. He was considered one of the Chargers' best pass rushers along with Merriman. This is a big hit to their defense.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
stealth said:
lol she is driving at the cop so the cop shoots steve foley multiple times?

sounds like he is an officer of the year candidate for sure.
Did you even read the article?

The question that I would have is, ever hear of pepper spray first?