Charger Steve Foley shot by police officer

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Screw The Hall said:
Look whatever ... there's a big difference in degree of mistake between someone who is piss drunk driving and kills someone and another guy who makes the stupid but certainly not "deserving of being shot" error of having a couple to many drinks and getting behind the wheel. Once again we all make mistakes but learning from them is what is important.
When you take my life or my kids lifes in your hands because you had "a few too many" no learning isn't the important thing you should already know this and if your parents where worth anything you would know this (not you personally generally speaking) Parents should teach their childeren it's not only their life they are risking but anyone else the come across by Drinking and driving. I know people make mistakes but this is an uncalled for mistake. Its not like he didn't have money for a cab....

jman

Reaction score
Screw The Hall said:
Look whatever ... there's a big difference in degree of mistake between someone who is piss drunk driving and kills someone and another guy who makes the stupid but certainly not "deserving of being shot" error of having a couple to many drinks and getting behind the wheel. Once again we all make mistakes but learning from them is what is important.

And when is a cop suposed to know the difference? After the drunk kills him?

The police have it tough enough already, and then have to deal with someone of above stature and strength, and is probably very threatining...If I have a gun...he gets shot.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy said:
I guess I messed the part in the story that said Foley was driving drunk.

As a law enforcement officer myself, I will say that the cop is the idiot. Regardless of what you think, even cops have off time, and are not always on duty. In this situation, if I saw a car that I suspected was being driven by a drunk driver, I would have called in for an officer in that jurisdiction, to investigate. I would continue to follow the vehicle, until the unit was in position. I would under no circumstance approach the suspect, without proper uniform or identification, unless I had back up.

Furthermore, from reading the article and seeing the video, This officer was out of his jurisdiction. He is a cop in Coronado, and shot this guy in Poway. If he was on duty, he would have had to call the Poway Police for assistance, and should have done the same while off duty.

I would hate to be this officer, he is in deep doo doo whether the shooting was justified or not.

yup he sure is.

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
this thread needs to be put in the "Drunk Driving Debate of 2006 Zone"

this board has one of those right? it has a zone for pretty much every subject ever made on earth

silver

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy said:
I guess I messed the part in the story that said Foley was driving drunk.

As a law enforcement officer myself, I will say that the cop is the idiot. Regardless of what you think, even cops have off time, and are not always on duty. In this situation, if I saw a car that I suspected was being driven by a drunk driver, I would have called in for an officer in that jurisdiction, to investigate. I would continue to follow the vehicle, until the unit was in position. I would under no circumstance approach the suspect, without proper uniform or identification, unless I had back up.

Furthermore, from reading the article and seeing the video, This officer was out of his jurisdiction. He is a cop in Coronado, and shot this guy in Poway. If he was on duty, he would have had to call the Poway Police for assistance, and should have done the same while off duty.

I would hate to be this officer, he is in deep doo doo whether the shooting was justified or not.
while i agree that he should've ask for back up (and we don't know if he did) we can't fault him from trying to stop a drunk driver. if anything he should be commanded for going the extra mile to do what's right. i feel bad for foley and don't know the extent of his injuries but if he survives, he needs mental help asap. the guy is nuts. (he'll prolly claim to be bi-polar ;) )

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
jman said:
And when is a cop suposed to know the difference? After the drunk kills him?

The police have it tough enough already, and then have to deal with someone of above stature and strength, and is probably very threatining...If I have a gun...he gets shot.

Please show me where I once defended Foley and pointed the finger at the cop in either of my posts. My post was not directed towards this particular event. I was making a counter point to someone who said he thought anyone who drank and got behind the wheel is an idiot. I simply disagree.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stealth said:
keep being convinced that because he was a cop that what he did was right...

don't be this naive

and fyi in a america a drunk is entitled to defense

I'm not convinced of that. But I am convinced that the drunk Steve Foley was completely in the wrong.

You talk of naive?

You're trying to defend a drunken driver who attacked a police officer!

Who's girlfriend tried to run him down with a car!

You're talking about the drunk's rights?

It's laughable!

It's this idiot's second offense and you're defending him?

How about the "rights" of innocent people killed by drunken drivers?

How about the "rights" of the families left to grieve when innocents die?

:blind:

Big Dakota

Reaction score
This is unrelated, but i found it interesting.

Police Union Urges Members To Boycott San Diego Fair

Union Concerned Over Weapons Ban For Off-Duty Personnel

POSTED: 10:10 am PDT May 26, 2005
UPDATED: 11:30 am PDT May 26, 2005

Email This Story | Print This Story Sign Up for Breaking News Alerts

SAN DIEGO -- The president of Escondido's police union says he will urge the city's officers to boycott the 2005 San Diego County Fair because of a policy barring entry by off-duty law enforcement personnel carrying weapons.
Paul Woodward, president of the Escondido Police Officers' Association, sent a letter Wednesday to the Del Mar Fairgrounds board expressing his concern over the weapons ban, which was implemented for the first time last year by the 22nd District Agricultural Association, which oversees the fairgrounds.
Fairgrounds spokeswoman Linda Zweig said Thursday the policy was created to provide a "safer environment for families," but Woodward said the policy actually imperils safety.
// Set DC ad position if(typeof dcadposition == 'undefined')dcadposition = 1; else dcadposition++; if (typeof segQS == 'undefined')segQS=''; if (typeof adid == 'undefined')adid='false'; document.write(""); if ((!document.images && navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Mozilla/2.") >= 0) || navigator.userAgent.indexOf("WebTV")>= 0) { document.write(""); document.write(" "); }

"As president of the Escondido Police Officers' Association, I will be encouraging our members and all San Diego law enforcement and their families not to attend the 2005 Del Mar Fair," Woodward wrote.
Woodward said professionally trained sworn officers now have the authority to carry weapons across state lines in the United States and even aboard commercial aircraft.
"I find it difficult to believe that in this age of post-9/11 terrorism and with threats of terrorism constantly looming over us, you would make such policies," Woodward wrote.
Timothy J. Fennell, general manager of the 22nd District Agriculture Association, which oversees the Del Mar Fairgrounds, sent a letter May 6 to the San Diego County Chiefs Association reminding all local law enforcement agencies of a policy that bars off-duty officers from carrying weapons into the county fair, which runs June 10 to July 4.
The wording of Fennell's letter was ambiguous, appearing to vaguely suggest that the policy was inspired by the sheriff's department.
"At the request of the Sheriff's Department, I want to take this opportunity to ask the County Chiefs Association to remind all the county's law enforcement agencies that the 22nd District Agricultural Association ... has a policy of now allowing any weapons into the fairgrounds during the run of the 2005 San Diego County Fair," Fennell wrote in the letter.
"The San Diego County Fair uses metal detectors to screen all its patrons and the district's weapon prohibition policy also precludes off-duty officers from carrying a firearm into the fairgrounds," Fennell wrote.
Asked to elaborate Thursday, both sheriff's and fairground officials said the sheriff's department did not originate the policy and that the department had only asked the the fair board to remind other law enforcement agencies of it.
"The sheriff's department did not ask us to implement this policy. This is something the 22nd District Agricultural Association decided to implement," Zweig said. "The sheriff's department simply asked us to inform other agencies in the county that we are implementing the policy again this year."
Zweig said armed deputies in and out of uniform patrolling the county fair provide sufficient security.
"We're simply implementing a policy that's in effect at other family venues such as Disneyland, Magic Mountain, Legoland, Dodger and Angel stadiums and other locations," Zweig said. "It's a safer alternative all the way around."
Sheriff's spokesman Glenn Revell said the decision of whether off-duty law enforcement officer should attend the fair unarmed is a personal choice.
"I understand the the policy will make some of my law enforcement colleagues uncomfortable, but they need to make the personal choice of whether that will preclude them from attending the fair or not," Revell said. "Some officers may be offended by it, while others will attend without hesitation, but this is not a policy that we created."

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
How would the off duty officer know if foley was drunk? Driving erratic doesn't mean drunkedness. Form that news story, they don't even want to release the supsects name much less state that he was drunk.

Again, this officer should have called an officer in the proper jurisdiction, and not attempted to make a traffic stop in his personal vehicle without the proper safety equiment and markings. I know I wouldn't have stopped and would have treated it as a threat to my life and the life of anyone who was with me.

He is till in deep, he can't go around California, off duty, and patrol the streets. He is an officer in Coronado, not the world.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
When you take my life or my kids lifes in your hands because you had "a few too many" no learning isn't the important thing you should already know this and if your parents where worth anything you would know this (not you personally generally speaking) Parents should teach their childeren it's not only their life they are risking but anyone else the come across by Drinking and driving. I know people make mistakes but this is an uncalled for mistake. Its not like he didn't have money for a cab....

I agree it is an uncalled for mistake. I'll just be on the level ... this is a mistake I have made. I didn't hurt anyone or get in a wreck of any kind but that's not an excuse for my behavior. I paid for my bad judgement with a DWI and I learned my lesson. That is a mistake I won't repeat. I don't consider myself stupid by any stretch but I have made some very stupid mistakes along my lifes journey. I'm sure there will be more, that won't be one of them.

By the way I am not taking up for Foley ... that was not the intent of my post.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Chargers' Foley shot by off-duty policeman
black.gif
window.onerror=function(){clickURL=document.location.href;return true;} if(!self.clickURL) clickURL=parent.location.href;

UNION-TRIBUNE

September 3, 2006

POWAY – Chargers linebacker Steve Foley was shot near his home early Sunday morning following a traffic stop by an off-duty city of Coronado police officer.
Foley's injuries are not believed to be life threatening, said sheriff's homicide Lt. Dennis Brugos. The shooting occured on Travertine Court.

t.gif
t.gif
Advertisement About 3:30 a.m., the off-duty officer started following a suspected drunk driver in the area of northbound Highway 163 and Highway 52, Brugos said. The vehicle was described as weaving and its speed ranged from 30 to 90 mph and nearly hit several vehicles, he said.
After stopping at a red light, the off-duty officer pulled beside Foley, identified himself as a police officer, and ordered him to pull over, but Foley drove away, Brugos said. Foley stopped again, and got out of his car, approaching the officer, according to police. The officer again identified himself, pulled out a gun, and ordered the suspect several times to stop, Brugos said.
“However he continued to walk toward the officer, making the statement, 'That's a bb gun',” Brugos said.
Foley then got back into his car and the off-duty officer followed him to a cul-de-sac in Poway, where Foley lives.
Foley got out of the car and started walking toward the officer, while his female passenger drove the car alongside him, Brugos said. The officer identified himself again and then fired a warning shot into the bushes, Brugos said. Brugos said the female then revved the engine and drove directly at the officer, by then out of his car; the officer fired two shots at Foley's vehicle. The officer was not hit by the car.
Foley reached into his pants with his right hand as he approached the officer and the officer fired at the suspect. Foley acknowledged he'd been shot, Brugos said, but continued to move toward the officer, who fired again. Foley then fell to the ground.
Foley was taken to a hospital and the female passenger was taken to the Poway sheriff's station for questioning.
No charges have been filed, Brugos said.
He said it was unclear whether Foley was armed.
The Coronado Police Department referred questions to the Sheriff's Department. The Chargers also declined comment.
Foley has had previous run-ins with law enforcement. Last week, the San Diego County District Attorney's office said it would not pursue charges against Foley for an incident in April. He was accused of resisting arrest, battery on a police officer and being drunk in public after an altercation on a University City street about 1:30 a.m. April 21.
Foley signed with the Chargers as a free agent before the 2004 season, starting 13 games last season and missing three games with an abdominal injury. He tied for third on the team with 4½ sacks.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Screw The Hall said:
I agree it is an uncalled for mistake. I'll just be on the level ... this is a mistake I have made. I didn't hurt anyone or get in a wreck of any kind but that's not an excuse for my behavior. I paid for my bad judgement with a DWI and I learned my lesson. That is a mistake I won't repeat. I don't consider myself stupid by any stretch but I have made some very stupid mistakes along my lifes journey. I'm sure there will be more, that won't be one of them.

By the way I am not taking up for Foley ... that was not the intent of my post.
I'm not suggesting that someone isn't smart just because the D&D I'm saying when they get in a car after drinking they are then being a IDIOT. Drugs and Booz make smart people do stupid things.

I'm no saint and have Drank and Drove before I was an IDIOT no I never had a wreck or even pulled over but I was lucky. My entire outlook on this changed when a relative did hit and killed someone. and I really changed when I had kids.... If one of my kids ever drink and driive I will call the police on them myself....

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
I'm not suggesting that someone isn't smart just because the D&D I'm saying when they get in a car after drinking they are then being a IDIOT. Drugs and Booz make smart people do stupid things.

I'm no saint and have Drank and Drove before I was an IDIOT no I never had a wreck or even pulled over but I was lucky. My entire outlook on this changed when a relative did hit and killed someone. and I really changed when I had kids.... If one of my kids ever drink and driive I will call the police on them myself....

I agree 100% with this.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy said:
How would the off duty officer know if foley was drunk? Driving erratic doesn't mean drunkedness. Form that news story, they don't even want to release the supsects name much less state that he was drunk.

Again, this officer should have called an officer in the proper jurisdiction, and not attempted to make a traffic stop in his personal vehicle without the proper safety equiment and markings. I know I wouldn't have stopped and would have treated it as a threat to my life and the life of anyone who was with me.

He is till in deep, he can't go around California, off duty, and patrol the streets. He is an officer in Coronado, not the world.
Best post in this thread. I wouldn't stop either.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
stasheroo said:
I'm not convinced of that. But I am convinced that the drunk Steve Foley was completely in the wrong.

You talk of naive?

You're trying to defend a drunken driver who attacked a police officer!

Who's girlfriend tried to run him down with a car!

You're talking about the drunk's rights?

It's laughable!

It's this idiot's second offense and you're defending him?

How about the "rights" of innocent people killed by drunken drivers?

How about the "rights" of the families left to grieve when innocents die?

:blind:
How do you know he was drunk? We will know whether he's drunk or not when tests come back from the hospital, otherwise its all just guessing in what really happened.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Natedawg44 said:
How do you know he was drunk? We will know whether he's drunk or not when tests come back from the hospital, otherwise its all just guessing in what really happened.

But you have to admit him attacking an officer before while drunk makes him very suspect at this point. I bet if it were your son, brother oe dad he attacked you'd feel different. I bet that officer he attacked before is thinking to himself right now that this guy is dangerous.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Big Dakota said:
But you have to admit him attacking an officer before while drunk makes him very suspect at this point. I bet if it were your son, brother oe dad he attacked you'd feel different. I bet that officer he attacked before is thinking to himself right now that this guy is dangerous.

What happened before this incident is irrelevant to this incident. The officer was wrong to attempt to do anything on his own, other than to report it, follow the alleged drunk driver, wait for backup and allow the proper uniformed officers to do their jobs. Why an off duty officer would put himself in this situation is beyond me. I wouldn't even put myself in this situation while on duty.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
A cop is a cop...off duty or not. If they see someone driving drunk it's there duty to stop them.

yeah, ever heard of civilian's arrest? if civilians can apprehend someone, an off-duty cop sure as hell can

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy said:
What happened before this incident is irrelevant to this incident. The officer was wrong to attempt to do anything on his own, other than to report it, follow the alleged drunk driver, wait for backup and allow the proper uniformed officers to do their jobs. Why an off duty officer would put himself in this situation is beyond me. I wouldn't even put myself in this situation while on duty.

If people who say he was drunk are jumping to conclusions(people who drive erratically at 3:30 am are almost never drunk), why do you think he didn't call for backup?Maybe the offduty cops entire story hasn't been told yet? Maybe this incident took place in a 3-4 minute time frame and help was on the way?

Another thing,do you suppose Foley has a garage door opener in that 1.5 million dollar house? If he was scared it was a carjack he should have driven in his garage, closed the door and went into his house and called the cops. Instead he chose to confront a man with a gun. He found out what happens when you do that. After being involved in a similar incident 4 months ago he maybe should have erred on the side of caution.

One last thing. Do you know that city's policy on offduty cops and their rights to take down a suspect/perp?