Charles Barkley with the rim shot regarding Greg Hardy

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Link to the article.

Charles Barkley:

I need to get this off my chest.

I don't know Greg Hardy. I'm not sure I like Greg Hardy. And I'm damned sure I know I don't want Greg Hardy dating my daughter. Let me be clear: Domestic violence is 100 percent wrong. In this case, Hardy went through the judicial system. We need to find a way to stop giving up on black men. We need to get Hardy psychological help, similar to how Brandon Marshall faced up to his particular issues.

I know what Greg Hardy allegedly did to Nicole Holder in 2014 when he played in Charlotte. I know what she said in the restraining order she got against him: "Greg Hardy attacked me in his apartment. Hardy picked me up and threw me into the tile tub area in his bathroom. I have bruises from head to toe, including my head, neck, back, shoulders, arms, legs, elbow and feet. Hardy pulled me from the tub by my hair, screaming at me that he was going to kill me, break my arms and other threats that I completely believe. ... Hardy choked me with both hands around my throat while I was lying on the floor. Hardy picked me up over his head and threw me onto a couch covered in assault rifles and/or shotguns. I landed on those weapons. Hardy bragged that all of those assault rifles were loaded. Landing on those weapons bruised my neck and back."

I know that Greg Hardy was initially convicted by a Charlotte judge, who said at the time, "The court is entirely convinced Hardy is guilty of assault on a female and communicating threats." But I also know that Hardy appealed the verdict, which he was allowed to do under North Carolina law, and asked for a jury trial—and that the case was ultimately dismissed after Holder stopped cooperating with prosecutors, who said later that Hardy and Holder worked out a settlement.

I know that what Holder did is not unusual, that battered women often wind up not going through with charging partners with domestic violence because it is so hard to get a conviction and that the battered person often becomes the one put on trial. I know that women (men get beat up, too, but many more women do) feel that they or their kids or both can't count on real protection from the police or prosecutors when they're being abused or stalked, so they often don't seek out the cops.

Read the rest: http://m.bleacherreport.com/article...s-wrong-but-he-needs-help-not-more-punishment

Last edited by a moderator:

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I do agree with a lot of what Charles has to say. It beats defending him for what he did.

tunahelper

Reaction score
I love Barkley. I wish he would do his homework on this but very few people have, once the narrative is in place is never really goes away.

Exactly! If we are to question hardy's character shouldn't we question the character of someone who takes a payout?
She is guilty as he is in the whole ordeal.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
The claim that Hardy settled with Holder is pure speculation. The DA also admitted publicly that he had problems with Holder's testimony versus what she told police. And she admitted to doing coke prior to the incident as well as being drunk. She claimed that she was being choked by Hardy and there are no marks that indicate that.

Honestly, I just want to know the truth.

The media portrayal is such where they want you to believe that all Holder did was verbally argue with Hardy and that he punched/slapped her, slammed her and was trying to choke her to death for no reason other than she was arguing with him. It doesn't mention the cocaine use (have you ever been around somebody high on coke? It makes even the most peaceful person violent). It doesn't mention that she threw a shoe at him and hit him in the face. It doesn't mention that she admitted to the marks and bruises on her arm being from Hardy's manager, Sammy Curtis, and not from Hardy.

It doesn't mention that Hardy called 911 on her. It doesn't mention that despite all of the bruises, there are no strangulation marks on her neck. It doesn't mention that there is no marks on her face that are consistent with being punched or slapped.

I would personally like to get the answers to all of these points and questions, first. Then we can decide if he deserves to be punished. And if so, does his punishment fit in line with the numerous other cases of domestic abuse in the NFL that go unnoticed.

And I don't know why it is sacrilege to even broach those questions and points that I mentioned about the case. If he is truly the scum of the earth and did everything that is being put out there...then the press and anybody who feels he did it should be able to easily refute those questions and points.

Let's first determine if he was a scumbag before we determine how we should treat scumbags in the league.

YR

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
The claim that Hardy settled with Holder is pure speculation. The DA also admitted publicly that he had problems with Holder's testimony versus what she told police. And she admitted to doing coke prior to the incident as well as being drunk. She claimed that she was being choked by Hardy and there are no marks that indicate that.

The media portrayal is such where they want you to believe that all Holder did was verbally argue with Hardy and that he punched/slapped her, slammed her and was trying to choke her to death for no reason other than she was arguing with him. It doesn't mention the cocaine use (have you ever been around somebody high on coke? It makes even the most peaceful person violent). It doesn't mention that she threw a shoe at him and hit him in the face. It doesn't mention that she admitted to the marks and bruises on her arm being from Hardy's manager, Sammy Curtis, and not from Hardy.

It doesn't mention that Hardy called 911 on her. It doesn't mention that despite all of the bruises, there are no strangulation marks on her neck. It doesn't mention that there is no marks on her face that are consistent with being punched or slapped.

I would personally like to get the answers to all of these points and questions, first. Then we can decide if he deserves to be punished. And if so, does his punishment fit in line with the numerous other cases of domestic abuse in the NFL that go unnoticed.

And I don't know why it is sacrilege to even broach those questions and points that I mentioned about the case. If he is truly the scum of the earth and did everything that is being put out there...then the press and anybody who feels he did it should be able to easily refute those questions and points.

Let's first determine if he was a scumbag before we determine how we should treat scumbags in the league.

YR

Never gunna happen

Kaiser

Reaction score
Exactly! If we are to question hardy's character shouldn't we question the character of someone who takes a payout?

Its debateable that she took a payoff though (and I'm obviously not defending her). There is nothing saying she was paid except a comment from the DA when he dropped the case and the DA had every reason to cover his butt after the way this case played out.

Also Hardy's attorneys denied there was a settlement in the NFL investigation and it would be fairly easy to prove if he had. If Hardy denied it and it came to light the NFL would crucify him, so IMO Hardy's attorneys had a strong incentive to tell the truth in the matter.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score

YR

Love your response. Completely agree. I also see where Charles is coming from too. Perhaps they both need mental evaluations and "help" from that perspective. Not to be casted away because of one incident... Let's not forget that Hardy is not a police blotter resident. This was a one time incident. That should speak for something regarding his character. We will never know the real truth YR. The mediots won't allow that courtesy.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Its debateable that she took a payoff though (and I'm obviously not defending her). There is nothing saying she was paid except a comment from the DA when he dropped the case and the DA had every reason to cover his butt after the way this case played out.

Also Hardy's attorneys denied there was a settlement in the NFL investigation and it would be fairly easy to prove if he had. If Hardy denied it and it came to light the NFL would crucify him, so IMO Hardy's attorneys had a strong incentive to tell the truth in the matter.

That and she fell off the face of the earth. She got paid.

Kaiser

Reaction score
The media portrayal is such where they want you to believe that all Holder did was verbally argue with Hardy and that he punched/slapped her, slammed her and was trying to choke her to death for no reason other than she was arguing with him.

Plus the media reports always say he "was accused of" throwing her across the room, etc without mentioning that Holder herself contradicted those accusations in her testimony at the bench trial. They want to cherry pick accusations against Hardy depending on the circumstance but never mention that the accusations they are referencing are contradictory.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
She could potentially have faced perjury charges and/or a civil lawsuit from Hardy for Defamation or Slander. She had very valid reasons to disappear that didn't involved her getting paid.

That's true. But I'd bet my last dollar she got hers. It wasn't her first celebrity relationship gone bad.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

The problem is we don't know if she took a payout.

And the other thing is just like Charles mentioned, there are plenty of reasons why women that are legitimately abused stop cooperating with law enforcement.

Barkley's article misses some key points in the case because he's too busy trying to convince the reader that he's not for female abuse, but wants black men to be given a second chance.

This really shouldn't be a race issue. This should be a gender issue of how our society has increasingly taken the female's side in issues like this. Such as the case of Owen Labrie, who was arrested for raping a female student that was 3-years younger than he was despite there being no DNA evidence and the female corresponding with Labrie in a friendly manner thru the computer. Labrie was found innocent of the rape crimes, but was found guilty of 'seducing a minor thru a computer' the judge scolded Labrie and proclaimed to Labrie that 'you expect us to believe that you did not have intercourse with her?' Again, there was no DNA evidence, but Labrie was still guilty in the judge's eyes. The judge's mind was made up despite that pesky DNA evidence missing.

Or the Brian Banks story where he was arrested, tried and convicted of raping a fellow student in high school and spent 5 years in prison and saw his football career virtually extinguished. The female student later admitted that she made up the story.

Or the Jameis Winston incident which again, if you merely have skepticism about the victim's story because the story is contradictory, doesn't make sense and has inaccuracies...society is willing to immediately believe the female and get the torches and pitchforks out.

So, I don't have a problem with a payout and I don't think that means that Holder is not credible or that Hardy automatically didn't do it. What I do have a problem with is how the press and social justice warriors simply will not allow people to question whether the accuser's claims are true. That's not how this country works. And whether the press or the social justice warriors in the world like it or not, you're innocent until proven guilty in the country.

YR

Gaede

Reaction score

Proving Barkley's point here. The victim becomes the perpetrator, under investigation for what they did or didn't do instead of talking about what happened to them, why or who did it. We all assume, because of our privilege, that victims of abuse can just go to the cops and all will be well, but the reality is anything but.

Good article from Barkley. Very empathetic--empathy being typically discarded in this discussion

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Country music is famous for taking everyday things that happen to people and turning them into songs. Is there a country song about piling on? I wanna text the track to my boy Chuck.

I still think we should have won game six against the Bulls, Chuck. :( Still pisses me off. :mad: