Charles Haley 'Cowboys DEF Players are a bunch of garbage'

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Quit reading right there...
Dalton was brought in to backup Dak, that is one of the most durable QBs in this league,, Dalton wasnt brought in here to ever replace Dak.
Dalton will still prove to be one of the best BU QBs in this league when its all said and done.

Yeah, don't know how that was a bad singing. He's not a great starter, but probably the one of the best back-ups you can get if you're going the vet route.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The truth spoken. Per board thought we had the best backup in business. Go get Ryan Fitz. since he is being benched and they were 1 game out of first.

Well, he played behind an OL made up of 5 back-up players............ TC was a joke. No off season. I wouldn't bet there was a QB available to us that would have excelled under the circumstances last Sunday.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Well, he played behind an OL made up of 5 back-up players............ TC was a joke. No off season. I wouldn't bet there was a QB available to us that would have excelled under the circumstances last Sunday.

Will see Sunday if there is any improvement but the DL is the Football team strength and with a make shift OL. WATCHOUT!

Reaction score
OK Dalton shouldn't have been signed? Who would Haley have signed? I mean we are talking about a backup QB here. Good ones don't grow on trees.

And I don't believe the problem is just all the players on defense. We have enough evidence to conclude Nolan is a problem too. The defense needs an overhaul for sure but if Nolan is the one helping reshape the defense, we are FUBAR'd.
The Nolan hire is reminding me of the o-line coach Garrett hired from Cincinnati that they had to dump mid-year. I forget his name. Maybe the bye is a good time for a change. Unlikely to happen however.

That does not absolve the players. I think Haley is exactly right on all points with the exception of Dalton.

kumizi

Reaction score
Paying Zeke was never a problem. It was paying players like Lawrence, Smith that much, considering they couldn't lead a thirsty horse to a pond.
Lawrence is better than Zeke

I know this is tough for the people that only look at yards and sacks to get but it's true.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Interesting interview with Charles Haley on the Michael Irvin Podcast today. As you would expect with Mike quite a bit of nonsense but when they talked about the Cowboys in depth, Haley had some very strong views including:

5) Recounted a bizarre story from last season when a Cowboys coach on DEF tried to explain to a player (who I think is still on the team) what he needed to improve and the player just walked out of the room.

Well worth a listen

if that's true and he was on the staff he should have stepped up to set things straight.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Interesting interview with Charles Haley on the Michael Irvin Podcast today. As you would expect with Mike quite a bit of nonsense but when they talked about the Cowboys in depth, Haley had some very strong views including:

1) It's not the coaches, it's the players they are gutless.
2) D Law is no leader
3) Jaylon has not recovered from his foot injury
4) Dalton was a poor signing and has never shown he can handle the spotlight.
5) Recounted a bizarre story from last season when a Cowboys coach on DEF tried to explain to a player (who I think is still on the team) what he needed to improve and the player just walked out of the room.
6) Thinks nothing can be done for this season, need a complete overhaul of personnel

He then had some critical comments to say about Tom Brady and when he was with the Patriots organisation.

Well worth a listen
@Sydla

:popcorn:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

1) It's not the coaches, it's the players they are gutless.
2) D Law is no leader
3) Jaylon has not recovered from his foot injury
4) Dalton was a poor signing and has never shown he can handle the spotlight.
6) Thinks nothing can be done for this season, need a complete overhaul of personnel

He then had some critical comments to say about Tom Brady and when he was with the Patriots organisation.

Well worth a listen

DLaw is a me-first guy and it should've been obvious when he used his injury as a negotiating ploy. Then we get all of the HotBoyz stuff, self-promotion, merchandise. He's not a leader, and doesn't play well enough to just get by on production.

Dalton isn't news to me. I see the Bengals several times every season and it was apparent some of the people here hadn't watched him since he left TCU.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Pretty much what I've said.......can't do anything now. But after the season......blow up the entire D ( except Hill, Diggs and LVE ) and rebuild it. Frankly, I expect MM to do just that. Would not surprise me at all to see a min 6-7 new starters on this D for 2021.

MM won’t be here.

i give it 3-4 more losses.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Quit reading right there...
Dalton was brought in to backup Dak, that is one of the most durable QBs in this league,, Dalton wasnt brought in here to ever replace Dak.
Dalton will still prove to be one of the best BU QBs in this league when its all said and done.
I guess you didn't watch him play on Monday.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys have never been more "America's Team" than they are right now.

Sydla

Reaction score

I missed when Haley was more of an expert on Nolan than say guys that actually played for him.

And note, no one has ever said the players don't bear responsibility here. They clearly do. But Haley has a history of calling out players, especially in Dallas, but then giving coaches passes. He was often way more critical of Cowboys players than Garrett, and we all know Garrett was not a very good HC.

Haley is making the same mistake many of you are making - thinking that if you just give Nolan a bunch of hard working, great players, he's going to build a great defense. He won't. And what's worse, he's going to have input on the guys they acquire and he's already a questionable judge of talent.

Sydla

Reaction score
DLaw is a me-first guy and it should've been obvious when he used his injury as a negotiating ploy. Then we get all of the HotBoyz stuff, self-promotion, merchandise. He's not a leader, and doesn't play well enough to just get by on production.

Dalton isn't news to me. I see the Bengals several times every season and it was apparent some of the people here hadn't watched him since he left TCU.

He's a back up QB. That's what we signed him for. I missed the much better options at QB that we could have signed instead of him to be his backup.

That's why Haley's rant is peculiar. He's bagging on a backup QB as if we had turned down a bunch of better options for back up QB.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
I missed when Haley was more of an expert on Nolan than say guys that actually played for him.

And note, no one has ever said the players don't bear responsibility here. They clearly do. But Haley has a history of calling out players, especially in Dallas, but then giving coaches passes. He was often way more critical of Cowboys players than Garrett, and we all know Garrett was not a very good HC.

Haley is making the same mistake many of you are making - thinking that if you just give Nolan a bunch of hard working, great players, he's going to build a great defense. He won't. And what's worse, he's going to have input on the guys they acquire and he's already a questionable judge of talent.
Nobody is thinking that

fivetwos

Reaction score
Pretty much what I've said.......can't do anything now. But after the season......blow up the entire D ( except Hill, Diggs and LVE ) and rebuild it. Frankly, I expect MM to do just that. Would not surprise me at all to see a min 6-7 new starters on this D for 2021.
Fully agree.

Thing is they cant rely on only the draft and has beens looking for a last pay day.

They need to figure out how to get some quality FA under the cap.

May not be possible until 2022.