Twitter: Charles Robinson: McCarthy wants the offense to be more balanced

8FOR!3

Reaction score
We should be getting around 70 offensive snaps a game. You can throw the ball 40 times and still run the ball 30 (and vice versa.) basically what I’m saying is obviously have a gameplan based on the strengths of the defense you’re playing but also take what they’re giving to you

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Less Dak has always made the Cowboys a better team.

I mean even last year we had a better win percentage after he left.

less foolish posts from Catch17 have always made cowboyszone a better place

conner01

Reaction score
Balance is great. Unless you’re behind. So in theory I want balance more than anything. But that means opening up the game right off the bat. Remember the Oakland Raiders the first play of every opening game was a bomb 50 yards plus. Not that I want that but. I don’t think anybody can understand the game plan until the game plan is played out. Although I do like the dictate to the defense
Predictable is not a great plan
I do believe you can use the pass game to open up the run game
But if the D goes nickel I run and if they set to stop the run I pass
You have to mix it up and take advantage of mismatches

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Fewer offensive turnovers and better defense would go a long way toward balance, and wins. It's pretty simple in theory.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Fewer offensive turnovers and better defense would go a long way toward balance, and wins. It's pretty simple in theory.
Field position. I believe is my biggest issue. Special-teams

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Good. As Zeke needs to run more, as well as Pollard when he is in for a few series.
control the clock, protect that defense.
Now if they can get Kellen Garrett Jr. Moore on board with it.

Easier said than done, for that to happen ,you have to start scoring early.
Cant snooze through 2 quarters and. Behind by 3 scores.

This has been a Garrett and Moore problem , slow starts . ( add that to red zone woes - FG instead of TD)

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
He knows this QB is not good enough to carry the offense

Rodgers was throwing the ball 600 times in GB when he was there

quickccc

Reaction score
I believe in establishing the run, and making it dual threat balance. I believe in coming at teams in the run game as well as making our RBs a dual threat in the pass game as well.
Not just blitz-block and safety valve dump passes – especially considering big play type backs we have in zeke and pollard.

But I also want to see Kellen design the run game – and pass game that isn’t as bland and predictable and non-imaginative and simple and easier to defend.

Actually McCarthy’s run scheme with the split back formation in GB was very intriguing.
It involved some clever misdirection in that caused defenders to either hesitate or misstep, mis-guess in wrong gaps
where the flow of the run was really going.

I wouldn’t mind seeing clever variations in our run scheme.
And Kellen has seem to be so much in love with delay handoff with ZKE, that he has to stutter step around the line, vs deep handoff where he can run downhill with momentum
and better see flow before he gets to the hole. And everything is ran up the middle gut, never off tackle or design off the edge.

Frankly its not that I want to see Cowboys run the ball more …but I’m more so interested to see How they better design and scheme to run more.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Judging McC based on having Favre and then Rodgers in GB isn't a good application. I do think he wants more balance and I think he told Elliott that and he seems to be rearing to go.

Got to be a little tough on RB's when they see the new HC coming in is a WCO guy because they do not really stop to think about that offense, they just think about the QB that ran it.

When McC converted Montgomery to RB from WR, I was surprised at how much he called runs. It's not lost on McC that his successor used the run with Aaron Jones, much to the chagrin of his QB who thinks he runs the team. He saw another HC have better success than he did using the same players, just using them differently.

Prescott is not Rodgers or Elway before Shanahan arrived, he is used to a balanced attack and was forced into playing Air Coryell ball and his RB having fumblitis didn't help.

Elliott is still a star RB in the NFL and I believe McC is going to use him to achieve that balance, along with a mix of Pollard in there. Healthy, the Cowboys have a good OL and a couple of really good RB's, why not use that to set up the passing game?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Hopefully, KM got that memo. So far, Kellen tends to be a little pass happen in his game plan. I need to see Zeke run the ball more. He's the kind of RB that heats up the more he carries the rock.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Good. As Zeke needs to run more, as well as Pollard when he is in for a few series.

This is basically the same thing I said in another thread yesterday.

JayFord

Reaction score
Good

you have a running back that can carry the ball you dont need to throw it so many times

and please throw that quick screen play in the trash

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

E7PzANTXEAQu0SO

I hope it's Zeke and Pollard and Lamb and Dak all as run threats, and usually on the field at the same time. Make defenses account for multiple ball carriers, and defend the entire breadth of the field.

I'd hope to start Pollard over Gallup for our 5 skill on 1st and 2nd to increase the run game threat.

CWR

Reaction score

I'd love if they could figure out how to rotate appropriately too. Stop pulling the guy with momentum, and bludgeoning the guy who's running cold. I dont know why that is always such a struggle for our coaches.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I will believe it when I see it in several games.
Jerry just paid dak, and I think he wants to see more passes than runs.

But they may also run more early in season just to let dak get settled in and hit less, who knows.

T-RO

Reaction score
Last year Dallas was 12th in the NFL in pass percentage, throwing the ball 61% of downs.

Two teams that were more pass-happy than Dallas? The Bucs (10th) and Chiefs (5th).

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
I just want to take more shots down field. I watch guys like Russell Wilson…. Brady… Rodgers. At least 7-10 times a game they take deep shots.

if you get one on one coverage outside you have to do it… especially with how pass interference is called in the nfl

cristglo

Reaction score
Last year or in times past they started game off so slow getting behind it seemed they were playing catch-up Go with the hot hands..