Twitter: Charles Robinson: McCarthy wants the offense to be more balanced

quickccc

Reaction score
He has been in Dallas 1 year and they lost confidence before last year even started? They nor did anyone else know how poorly Nolan would do as DC. I think HC give coordinators some free reign but ultimately the HC is being held responsible for the overall results of his team. I have no doubt at all McCarthy has a lot of input in what he wants and expects from his coaches and this team.

I dunno where this .. “ And they lost confidence before last year even started ? ….“ is coming from that you’re talking about, but I believe I was referring to
what McCarthy’s overall workings and grades after the ’20 season ended.

- One of the elements of a HC is knowing when to delegate tasks and duties to your assistants, ..and when to step in and implement authority, adjustment and presence. There’s an in-between.

- And yes that included the hiring and workings of DC Nolan, ..that included the workings of DL coach Tomsula, ..that included the workings of puzzling coaching calls ala botched punt fakes
around your own ’20 yard line, etc.
It wasn’t that anyone else knew Nolan was going to be poor, it was seeing how Nolan operated when the going got tough, and he and the HC were nonchalant or clueless about how to make any adjustments as the season went on.

- With a DC who is sitting on his azz in the coaches booth with so much massive confusion and frustration going on the sidelines among his own players, we shouldn’t have to rely on clubhouse reports from Jane Slater to finally get slap-wake Nolan to finally get him out of the booth and on the sidelines with those miffed players – for him to finally heed and try to make some scale down simple adjustments
- but it still was widely asked as why did that have to come per Jane Slater – why didn’t that come from the overseer HC himself ?

- And thats' from the inside but what of the game management from the outside on the field ? If Bones is calling for a fake punt at our own 20’ permitted he is given the green light to run such a play , that’s on Mac ,.. if Mac himself calls up to Bones to run a fake punt, that also is still on Mac.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Two ways to look at it.

He's never been a run guy. Never had this balance that he speaks of.

But he's never had a Tony Pollard either.

We shall see if he's serious. Right now I take this as him wanting to drop a few pounds.

That’s the whole key. The 17 games season and that’s why he wants the 2 running backs

to get the ball more.

Control the clock more, less hits the QB takes and most likely keep the defense off the field over the new longer season.

I bet a lot of the teams will be going more run oriented also and it will eventually become less of a passing league.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I dunno where this .. “ And they lost confidence before last year even started ? ….“ is coming from that you’re talking about, but I believe I was referring to
what McCarthy’s overall workings and grades after the ’20 season ended.

- One of the elements of a HC is knowing when to delegate tasks and duties to your assistants, ..and when to step in and implement authority, adjustment and presence. There’s an in-between.

- And yes that included the hiring and workings of DC Nolan, ..that included the workings of DL coach Tomsula, ..that included the workings of puzzling coaching calls ala botched punt fakes
around your own ’20 yard line, etc.
It wasn’t that anyone else knew Nolan was going to be poor, it was seeing how Nolan operated when the going got tough, and he and the HC were nonchalant or clueless about how to make any adjustments as the season went on.

- With a DC who is sitting on his azz in the coaches booth with so much massive confusion and frustration going on the sidelines among his own players, we shouldn’t have to rely on clubhouse reports from Jane Slater to finally get slap-wake Nolan to finally get him out of the booth and on the sidelines with those miffed players – for him to finally heed and try to make some scale down simple adjustments
- but it still was widely asked as why did that have to come per Jane Slater – why didn’t that come from the overseer HC himself ?

- And thats' from the inside but what of the game management from the outside on the field ? If Bones is calling for a fake punt at our own 20’ permitted he is given the green light to run such a play , that’s on Mac ,.. if Mac himself calls up to Bones to run a fake punt, that also is still on Mac.

It was still McCarthy 1st season as HC in a situation where injuries were a big killer of the team. Nolan did a bad job with a defense most of us knew was a major question even before any changes were made. I like Moore and we will see what Quinn will do but right now McCarthy is HC and I have no doubt this is his team and his responsibility. Should we see a major turn around then I look for McCarthy to be here for a good while. Lastly I have always maintained the success or failures of the assistant coaches are on the HC. If his coordinators screw up that is on Mike so yes fake punt is on Mike and he has the ability to call plays off so I remove no responsibility away from the HC but I'm not going to pretend that OC or DC is running the show or doing what they want without the HC having major say in the plan that is being put in place through out the week as the team gets ready for the upcoming game.

quickccc

Reaction score
It was still McCarthy 1st season as HC in a situation where injuries were a big killer of the team. Nolan did a bad job with a defense most of us knew was a major question even before any changes were made. I like Moore and we will see what Quinn will do but right now McCarthy is HC and I have no doubt this is his team and his responsibility. Should we see a major turn around then I look for McCarthy to be here for a good while. Lastly I have always maintained the success or failures of the assistant coaches are on the HC. If his coordinators screw up that is on Mike so yes fake punt is on Mike and he has the ability to call plays off so I remove no responsibility away from the HC but I'm not going to pretend that OC or DC is running the show or doing what they want without the HC having major say in the plan that is being put in place through out the week as the team gets ready for the upcoming game.

Injuries is one thing, that's not preventable .....but coaching issues compounding the issues further such as confusion, losing, poor personnel & game management decisions is another matter.
That exactly is preventable and something that should;ve been more strength asset than losing advantage.

- The Cowboys were counting on an experienced, established SB resume HC to add on what was missing and absence from the Garrett era, but much of the coaching problems
ended up being a huge step back rather than hitting the ground running and being a step more ahead of the Garrett regime.
That's why i believe it didn't take well with the Jones management, and being in a win now, no excuse , they were not gonna stand pat for years waiting for even new arrival
McCarthy to try to repair the damage brought in and not addressing.

- If this team barring massive key injuries- fails to make the playoffs .. or even gets ousted in an early round playoff game, i think the Jones turn over the HC reins from within, - depending
the reason why we reason (defensively, offensively). i don't think we will go college, as the Jones will still direly want that Win Now formula. But it's either gonna be Quinn or Kellen, or another
experienced vet HC (Mike Zimmer?)

- This Defense is Not McCarthy's defense,..this offense is Not McCarthy's offense- so everything else points to Leadership qualities, Game management and in-game decisions,
Motivation, Task delegation, Ability to change/adjust in game and in-season.
The only thing i still wonder with McCarthy is could he himself be limited to what he can do- per the Jones management insistence, but after matters such as the Tomsula/Gregory issue,
there is no question that he gonna be made accountable ... for what they feel he can/should be able to control.

catiii

Reaction score
McCarthey: Give me a balanced game and a running attack!!!!
Down 1
Down 2
Down 3rd and 4 in the red zone (Primadonna Zeke taps out ater two downs.)
Down 4. MIssed FGo_O

plasticman

Reaction score
In 2016 the best defensive player the Cowboys had was Zeke Elliott.

The worse field position an opponent offense can have is their benches. Dak and the running game ate clock and limited the number of drives an opponent used to respond to Cowboys scoring. This kept an admittedly limited Cowboy defense fresh.

A strong passing game will yield a lot of points but we have to remember it means shorter time of possession and more time for an offense to beat up a Cowboy defense.

kumizi

Reaction score
McCarthy is an idiot.

Cowboys have the best receiving core in the league and the 2nd highest paid QB. Can you imagine Andy Reid saying he wants to run the ball more?