Chart showing average defensive rank for a QBs career, including Dak

Jayinem

Reaction score
Dak's teams have averaged 8th. This was posted like 1 year ago but I think Cowboys were a top 5 defense this year, or around there.

1KZOcuF.png

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
our offense was a mirage. smoke and mirrors.

the defense the same. feasted on weak offenses. folded against good and great offenses. couldn't stop the run. in fact, its been an issue for I don't know how many years now.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don’t care what this chart says when we’re giving up 200 yards rushing in every playoff game
The defense gave up both elements of momentum and rhythm. That is the element that has to meet merit.

Jayinem

Reaction score
The Patriots putting together 22 defenses that averaged a ranking of 7th over two plus decades is impressive.

This is why I chuckle at those that say BB is a product of Brady.
I don't think there's any doubt BB is a great Defensive head coach, but as a Head Coach he has won absolutely nothing without Tom Brady at QB. He got fired in Cleveland and I'm not sure what just happened in NE but I don't think he quit. And it was revealed that he didn't ask for any power in Atlanta but they still didn't hire him.

But it's true Brady did definitely benefit for great defenses however that doesn't mean you could replace him and get those Super Bowls. Six game winning drives in six Super Bowls then left NE and wins another in Tampa.

I'm giving Brady 70% of the credit BB 30%.

Also I'm legit unsure was Belichick the GM when the Patriot dynasty started or not? Because if not he didn't pick those players that made the all time great defense, but if he did high props. However in this past season where we know Belichick was the GM they had ZERO Pro Bowlers on either side of the ball.

Other than Russell Wilson and Brady the 5 QBs on that list with the best average defenses have won nothing, including Dak.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dak's teams have averaged 8th. This was posted like 1 year ago but I think Cowboys were a top 5 defense this year, or around there.

1KZOcuF.png
This is incorrect.
Dak has had very good defensive ppg averages by his defense the last 2 years at 5th.
But that team was at 28 in 2020 and has never been higher than 5th. No way to average that into 8th.
11th and 13th in other seasons would make sense so perhaps they simply ignored 2020 because Dak only started 5 games.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I don't think there's any doubt BB is a great Defensive head coach, but as a Head Coach he has won absolutely nothing without Tom Brady at QB. He got fired in Cleveland and I'm not sure what just happened in NE but I don't think he quit. And it was revealed that he didn't ask for any power in Atlanta but they still didn't hire him.

But it's true Brady did definitely benefit for great defenses however that doesn't mean you could replace him and get those Super Bowls. Six game winning drives in six Super Bowls then left NE and wins another in Tampa.

Also I'm legit unsure was Belichick the GM when the Patriot dynasty started or not? Because if not he didn't pick those players that made the all time great defense, but if he did high props. However in this past season where we know Belichick was the GM they had ZERO Pro Bowlers on either side of the ball.

Other than Russell Wilson and Brady the 5 QBs on that list with the best average defenses have won nothing, including Dak.

The Pats won 11 games with Matt Cassel at QB. They made the playoffs with Mac Jones and CTE laden Cam Newton at QB.
The first Super Bowl Brady won he was a full-on bus driver passing for less than 190 yards per game and throwing 12 picks in 15 games.

Brady played forever so he covered the vast majority of Belichick's head coaching tenure but pretending it was all Brady is nuts.
Bill is arguably the greatest defensive coach in NFL history and won titles as an assistant with the Giants.
Of the 6 Super Bowls Bill and Tom won, only twice was Brady the highest approximate value season by a Patriot.
And in 2 of those 6 seasons the defense ranked first in points allowed. FIRST.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score

The fact that he "won nothing without Brady" is isn't a fair knock on him. He took over a 3 win Browns team and improved them every year, reaching 11-5 at one point. It was his first gig as a HC. It can take time to both change the roster and culture of a terrible team and I'm sure he learned a lot along the way. Brady bailed on the Pats because he could see the roster was finally falling apart. If Brady had stayed, the Pats would have won 0 additional championships and struggled just as much as they have with Mac Jones. Well, maybe not just as much, but they still struggle to make the playoffs.

If Brady was drafted by the Lions or Browns, or Cowboys for that matter, he no way puts up the career he did with the Pats. He may not even have a ring. I'm not trying to knock Brady. A great QB is a great thing to have but you most definitely need a lot of other things to fall in place to achieve the success the Pats did. The Pats most likely still win that first SB with Bledsoe at QB. BB won 11 games with Matt Cassell at QB.

Brady and BB were equally instrumental in the dynasty, imo.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

1KZOcuF.png
This is absolute proof how statistics can be used to strengthen haters hate and at the same time show their ignorance. If you can’t stop the run defensively, and the Cowboys can’t and havent, then your defense sucks.