Antaaj Hawthorne or Antrelle Rolle

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
3 Texas Longhorns in the top 5?

That would have to be an all time run.

Tobal

Reaction score
3 in the top 5 and 4 in the top 20. Damn if that happens they really should fire Mack Brown.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
One of the worst mocks I've ever seen.
What exactly is the problem with this mock?

I am not a big fan of our actual picks but the team does have those needs and the players are ranked about right.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jterrell said:

I am not a big fan of our actual picks but the team does have those needs and the players are ranked about right.
Taking anyone else when Mike Williams is there. I don't like that.

Taking a RB in the 1st when we took Jones last year. That basically means we wasted the Buffalo trade and should have taken Steven Jackson instead of adding the #1 this year.

I'd much rather have Mathis Kiwanuka.

I do like the choice of Walker in the 2nd.

blindzebra

Reaction score
jterrell said:

LB and RB are about 5th and 6th on our need list at this point and time. DT, DE, CB, FS, and WR are all much more pressing needs.

We have not seen Jones, Lee is not getting any carries for reasons only known to Tuna, and unless DJ is the second coming of LT that spot versus our needs don't mesh.

Hailmary

Reaction score
If we do end up taking a RB, my vote goes to Frank Gore of Miami in the second (or third, his injury history may push him down that far).

I'd rather not take a RB at all and concentrate more on WR and CB.

ghst187

Reaction score
I think the mock is a bit off of the draft order...its really looking more and more to me like the Bills pick will be in the top 4 if not 3. I don't think the Bungals will draft that high, nor the Cardinals, nor the Chiefs. The Cards aren't that bad this year. Their defense looks 10x better than ours. Right now, it looks like the Bills and the Dolphins will play in Miami with the loser getting the top draft pick (and I'd put money on the fins to win that game). Those are the only two teams that seem like they are going to have a heck of a time finding another win. Chicago, San Fran, and Tampa Bay falling in behind with 4 or 5 wins a piece.
I also tend to think that our own draft pick will be in the top 10 or 12.
You can rest assured that the Chiefs will go hard after a WR like M Williams and the Bungals will go hard after a CB like Rolle or Jackson. They will be a threat or a trade suitor to trade up and get those guys.
Where is Matt Leinert on the board? They must be convinced that he won't leave early but I would imagine that he does. If he does, then he's a lock for one of the top 6 picks.
If we draft Cadillac with one of our picks then we have to admit last years draft was a complete and utter failure that cost us time to develop a RB.
If we pass on M Williams or Rolle then we're idiots. If they are both gone, I will happily take Derrick Johnson/Rod Wright and Marlin Jackson. I have a feeling though that we will be in position to nab at least one of them if not both.

crazylegs

Benched
Reaction score
RB Carnell "Cadillac" Williams Height: 5'11" Weight: 204lbs

JJ please explain to us how you transitioned so well into the NFL as a light weight RB!

"dnhnj erkf joprvgj shoulder ergjgdfvdo hurts egjedilge g head sgiodg not evgndlv working"

Thank you.

And with the 15th pick the Cowboys choose – RB Carnell "Cadillac Seville" Williams ?

Let's see if any of you get that one. :rolleyes:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Taking anyone else when Mike Williams is there. I don't like that.

Mike Williams will be AT BEST a late first round pick next year. Mark my words.

LB and RB are about 5th and 6th on our need list at this point and time

You don't draft for need, especially with two EARLY picks. If we only drafted for need, Roy Williams wouldn't be a cowboy.

ghst187

Reaction score
Rack said:

You don't draft for need, especially with two EARLY picks. If we only drafted for need, Roy Williams wouldn't be a cowboy.

I will mark your words, if you mark mine, he'll go in the top 15 and maybe the top 5. McGahee had a horrific knee injury and had to sit out for a year but still managed to go pretty highly. Williams hasn't had any major injuries and sitting out a year as a WR isn't that big a deal. We traded a 3rd rounder for a QB that hadn't played football in 3 years. One full offseason and a few games and Williams would be back up to speed. The thing is you can't coach height like his and you can't coach athleticism like his and you can't coach a guy to make circus catches with one hand in heavy coverage/traffic. Some team may make the mistake of taking Braylon Edwards over Williams but they will regret it.

lkelly

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
I will mark your words, if you mark mine, he'll go in the top 15 and maybe the top 5. McGahee had a horrific knee injury and had to sit out for a year but still managed to go pretty highly. Williams hasn't had any major injuries and sitting out a year as a WR isn't that big a deal. We traded a 3rd rounder for a QB that hadn't played football in 3 years. One full offseason and a few games and Williams would be back up to speed. The thing is you can't coach height like his and you can't coach athleticism like his and you can't coach a guy to make circus catches with one hand in heavy coverage/traffic. Some team may make the mistake of taking Braylon Edwards over Williams but they will regret it.

Just wondering if anyone can come up with another example of a player who was drafted in the top 10 after not playing for 16 months. And remember, this is the salary cap era where you are taking a big risk by picking in the top 10. If the guy's a failure, it really hurts your cap for a few years. It will be interesting to see if GMs have the guts to draft a guy with so many unknowns because of the layoff. Because he won't be in any all-star games, the guy won't have taken a hit since early January 2004. Why is sitting out a year not a big deal for a WR? Isn't WR one of the hardest positions to play when you are trying to transition intot he NFL?

Because the Bills made a stupid decision to draft McGahee in the 1st round doesn't mean other teams will be carefree at the top of the 2005 draft. The Raiders drafted a kicker in the first round a few years back and I haven't seen anyone else make that boneheaded move.

I think Mike Williams can certainly be a bigger version of Keyshawn or Chris Carter. He doesn't have the speed to stretch a D. I'm just curious if GMs will be willing to roll the dice on a question mark in the top 10.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
As I have said before, I am not a big fan of drafting WRs in the top 5. Williams after over a year off would be a stretch for any team to take even the Chiefs. But as they are lacking in that department sorely, I could see it happening.

I love Mike Williams but I have a hard time believing at this point he will be a top 5 pick. Top 10 maybe but most likely top 20.

Hailmary

Reaction score
The thing w/ the Mike Williams situation is that his agent (if he's smart) will have him spend this entire year off making him prepare for nothing but the combine drills, translating into very good combine numbers and resulting in a high selection. Anyone who follows the draft knows how some GMs sometimes over rely on these numbers. I don't know if this will translate into a top 5 selection, but probably a top ten.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Rack said:

You don't draft a position you don't need either, the cap won't allow it. Reguardless of the best player you still need to factor need into your pick. If you are picking #5 and your board has a QB, OT, and WR as the next 3 players you don't automatically take the QB. You look to trade down to where your need based player should go, like we did with Roy Williams.

You think SD will draft a first rd QB this year, if that is BAP, when they are on the clock? Well we won't either. If the player(s) at our picks are not a starter at a position we need, they won't be drafted.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Rack said:

Sorry Rack, but I never take anyone's word for it. Last year when I was talking about trading up for Phillip Rivers people were telling me he would be available at 22, "take my word for it."

How about this one..."Stephen Jackson will be long gone by 22, take my word for it."

Things happen on draft day that sort of trump people's word.

Mike Williams is available, I take him. Best player in this draft. By that I mean will make the biggest impact in the NFL.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
lkelly said:
Just wondering if anyone can come up with another example of a player who was drafted in the top 10 after not playing for 16 months. And remember, this is the salary cap era where you are taking a big risk by picking in the top 10. If the guy's a failure, it really hurts your cap for a few years. It will be interesting to see if GMs have the guts to draft a guy with so many unknowns because of the layoff. Because he won't be in any all-star games, the guy won't have taken a hit since early January 2004. Why is sitting out a year not a big deal for a WR? Isn't WR one of the hardest positions to play when you are trying to transition intot he NFL?

Because the Bills made a stupid decision to draft McGahee in the 1st round doesn't mean other teams will be carefree at the top of the 2005 draft. The Raiders drafted a kicker in the first round a few years back and I haven't seen anyone else make that boneheaded move.

I think Mike Williams can certainly be a bigger version of Keyshawn or Chris Carter. He doesn't have the speed to stretch a D. I'm just curious if GMs will be willing to roll the dice on a question mark in the top 10.
Michael Irvin was not a speed demon either. Would you like to have another Michael Irvin? Even if he isn't fast enough to stretch a defense.

Irvin played fast enough, so does Mike Williams. His best asset is his hands. He has amazing hands. Did you see his one handed in full stride grab last year? Just stuck his hand back behind him and the ball stuck right to it as he crossed the goal line. Maybe 3 or 4 people in the whole country could make that catch. None of them are available or young enough to build upon.

Williams is also very big and physical. No DB in the league is going to push him around. He's hard to tackle as well because of that size.

He plays fearless and runs great routes. You can have your Randall Williams speed deomns who can stretch the defense. I want a guy who can move the chains and put 6 on the scoreboard. Mike Williams does that as good or better than anyone in the country.

crazylegs

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Michael Irvin was not a speed demon either. Would you like to have another Michael Irvin? Even if he isn't fast enough to stretch a defense.

Irvin played fast enough, so does Mike Williams. His best asset is his hands. He has amazing hands. Did you see his one handed in full stride grab last year? Just stuck his hand back behind him and the ball stuck right to it as he crossed the goal line. Maybe 3 or 4 people in the whole country could make that catch. None of them are available or young enough to build upon.

Williams is also very big and physical. No DB in the league is going to push him around. He's hard to tackle as well because of that size.

He plays fearless and runs great routes. You can have your Randall Williams speed deomns who can stretch the defense. I want a guy who can move the chains and put 6 on the scoreboard. Mike Williams does that as good or better than anyone in the country.

Jesus, all of your examples in this post are 1 in a million.

Why do you base these drafting abnormalities into a planed 2005 drafting event? For every physically similar MI in the draft only a few pan out, the others are out of the NFL. I don't need to tell you this.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Jesus, all of your examples in this post are 1 in a million.

Why do you base these drafting abnormalities into a planed 2005 drafting event? For every physically similar MI in the draft only a few pan out, the others are out of the NFL. I don't need to tell you this.
No you don't because it would just bore me right to sleep.

Anquan Boldin fell in the draft because he wasn't fast. Jerry Rice. You want me to keep going?

Speed at WR is highly over rated. Hands NEVER are. Book it.

ssummers65

Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers is unreal. Y'all should watch him tonight, TBS at 9:30. Cal might be the best team in the nation. Special teams cost them the game against USC that they otherwise dominated.