Check out this MOCK DRAFT

BUSDRIV3RDH

Reaction score
15th? Try more like 5-8th.

I wouldn't mind Derrick Johnson with our 2nd pick. I am very convinced we'll be in the position to do this too. No way our pick is #15, just no way.

If we pass on Williams I believe we'll live to regret it like the Moss/Ellis draft.

1a. Mike Williams {Even if it means us having to trade up a spot or two...no cost too high}
1b. Derrick Johnson or Andre Rolle

However if somehow one of 2 picks ends up being #1 overall, I would have to seriously consider taking a look at the top quarterbacks availble.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Sorry Rack, but I never take anyone's word for it. Last year when I was talking about trading up for Phillip Rivers people were telling me he would be available at 22, "take my word for it."

How about this one..."Stephen Jackson will be long gone by 22, take my word for it."

Things happen on draft day that sort of trump people's word.

Mike Williams is available, I take him. Best player in this draft. By that I mean will make the biggest impact in the NFL.

Very much agreed Hostile. Mike Williams will be an immediate impact for some lucky team. Just hope it is the Dallas Cowboys. :cool:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
I will mark your words, if you mark mine, he'll go in the top 15 and maybe the top 5. McGahee had a horrific knee injury and had to sit out for a year but still managed to go pretty highly. Williams hasn't had any major injuries and sitting out a year as a WR isn't that big a deal. We traded a 3rd rounder for a QB that hadn't played football in 3 years. One full offseason and a few games and Williams would be back up to speed. The thing is you can't coach height like his and you can't coach athleticism like his and you can't coach a guy to make circus catches with one hand in heavy coverage/traffic. Some team may make the mistake of taking Braylon Edwards over Williams but they will regret it.

Mike wasn't even gonna be a top 5 pick THIS YEAR. No way is he a top 5 pick NEXT year. I'm not saying he's not great. I preferred him over Roy (Still do). I'm only going by what I believe NFL teams will go by. He's out for a full year, isn't fast (NFL teams put way too much stock in speed), and he's supposedly had a tendency to gain weight.

I'd love for us to draft Derrick Johnson and MWIll, I just think Mike is gonna drop big time.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
You think SD will draft a first rd QB this year, if that is BAP, when they are on the clock? Well we won't either. If the player(s) at our picks are not a starter at a position we need, they won't be drafted.

QBs are rarely the actualy best "Player" in the draft. They get boosted up draft boards just cuz their QBs. Seriously, who is a better "Player", Eli Manning or Roy Williams?

Sorry Rack, but I never take anyone's word for it. Last year when I was talking about trading up for Phillip Rivers people were telling me he would be available at 22, "take my word for it."

I thought, and still do think, Rivers is the best QB in this draft class. Worth a top 5 pick as a PLAYER? No. But, like I said above, QBs get boosted up draft boards just coz of the position they play.

I still wish we had taken Leftwich two years ago.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Rack said:
Mike wasn't even gonna be a top 5 pick THIS YEAR. No way is he a top 5 pick NEXT year. I'm not saying he's not great. I preferred him over Roy (Still do). I'm only going by what I believe NFL teams will go by. He's out for a full year, isn't fast (NFL teams put way too much stock in speed), and he's supposedly had a tendency to gain weight.

I'd love for us to draft Derrick Johnson and MWIll, I just think Mike is gonna drop big time.
If he does and we get him with our 2nd pick I will love it. If he falls to the 2nd round and we get him I will love it more.

Just get him.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Rack said:
QBs are rarely the actualy best "Player" in the draft. They get boosted up draft boards just cuz their QBs. Seriously, who is a better "Player", Eli Manning or Roy Williams?

I thought, and still do think, Rivers is the best QB in this draft class. Worth a top 5 pick as a PLAYER? No. But, like I said above, QBs get boosted up draft boards just coz of the position they play.

I still wish we had taken Leftwich two years ago.
I still wish we had taken Suggs. Doesn't matter now. I hope you undestand why I say I take no one's word for it. It simply has to happen. No way was Jackson falling to 22. Someone forgot to tell the 23 teams that passed on him.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
I still wish we had taken Suggs. Doesn't matter now. I hope you undestand why I say I tak eno one's word for it. It simply has to happen. No way was jackson falling to 22. Someone forgot to tell the 23 teams that passed on him.

You're sounding like SBK now!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
You're sounding like SBK now!
Wrong, I was the original Suggs fan. I was touting him long before he declared for the draft. I have wanted Dallas to take him ever since he played Arizona as a Freshmen. I hate ASU football but I saw him play live 7 times, only 3 were agaisnt the Wildcats since he declared as a Junior. That means I bought 4 Scum Devils tickets just to watch him play. I saw at least 20 other games that he played in. I even rode my cycle up to Tempe for his 2nd Pro Day workout. Far cry from reading the reports about him and procaliming man love.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
LB and RB are about 5th and 6th on our need list at this point and time. DT, DE, CB, FS, and WR are all much more pressing needs.

We have not seen Jones, Lee is not getting any carries for reasons only known to Tuna, and unless DJ is the second coming of LT that spot versus our needs don't mesh.
I don't buy that.

How many plays have our LBs made this entire season? Do we even bring back coackley or Singleton? Don't we want to run some 3-4 sets?

If a RB is the highest rated player on the board why not choose him? I dont think we will but we should consider it. Julius Jones was a mid second round type not a stud. Willaims and DJ are excellent players and we need excellent players. Maybe Jones offers soem great hope in the last few eeks but if not we will have a shot at a top 10 overall type back. Soemthing that hasnt been on the board in 3 years.

Many thought it stupid to draft a safety so high a couple of years back.

And dont forget we didnt take Leftwich because we had young QBs????

Avoid the nonsense and take the players you rate to be truly stellar.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I still wish we had taken Suggs. Doesn't matter now. I hope you undestand why I say I tak eno one's word for it. It simply has to happen. No way was jackson falling to 22. Someone forgot to tell the 23 teams that passed on him.
Those were the 2 players I liked best at our spot and both fell. I wish we had traded down and taken one of them. TNew's age was a concern for me. All that said, last year he looked awesome. Its just this crappy season....

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Mike Williams will be the first WR taken in this coming draft....I've seen B. Edwards of Michigan on TV a few times this year, and he's a good one, but he's not in Mike Williams' category.

Williams will go high despite not playing this year for one simple reason...there's never been a WR like him in college or the NFL. Name the last WR with his height, weight, running ability YAC, velcro hands, athletic ability to twist and adjust his body, blocking, and blocking ability...heck, he's like having another H-back out there.

And while he doesn't put up the exceptional or even above average 40 time, due to his long stride, I've never seen his caught from behind by a DB when he is running away....surely some NFL DB's will run him down...they even ran Dorsett down a few times.

Bottom line is that this kid is a FREAK at the WR position...we see what Keyshaun can do...this kid is bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic, and known for being an extremely hard worker....that's why he'll be the first WR off the board...you kind find great WR's in every draft, but this kid is one of a kind, and he owns all of the records at Keyshaun's USC in only 2 years of play with 2 different QB's.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jterrell said:
Those were the 2 players I liked best at our spot and both fell. I wish we had traded down and taken one of them. TNew's age was a concern for me. All that said, last year he looked awesome. Its just this crappy season....
I agree. Suggs being only 20 to Newman's 25 was another huge reason why I would have taken the DE. My draft wishes were

1. Suggs
2. Leftwich
3. Newman

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
Mike Williams will be the first WR taken in this coming draft....I've seen B. Edwards of Michigan on TV a few times this year, and he's a good one, but he's not in Mike Williams' category.

Williams will go high despite not playing this year for one simple reason...there's never been a WR like him in college or the NFL. Name the last WR with his height, weight, running ability YAC, velcro hands, athletic ability to twist and adjust his body, blocking, and blocking ability...heck, he's like having another H-back out there.

And while he doesn't put up the exceptional or even above average 40 time, due to his long stride, I've never seen his caught from behind by a DB when he is running away....surely some NFL DB's will run him down...they even ran Dorsett down a few times.

Bottom line is that this kid is a FREAK at the WR position...we see what Keyshaun can do...this kid is bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic, and known for being an extremely hard worker....that's why he'll be the first WR off the board...you kind find great WR's in every draft, but this kid is one of a kind, and he owns all of the records at Keyshaun's USC in only 2 years of play with 2 different QB's.
Great post, totally agree.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
Great post, totally agree.

With Glenn being lost for the season and given the age of both Key and Glenn, I'm starting to lean your way... I mean as far as Williams goes... not the other "lean your way". :D

So don't get any ideas. ;)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
With Glenn being lost for the season and given the age of both Key and Glenn, I'm starting to lean your way... I mean as far as Williams goes... not the other "lean your way". :D

So don't get any ideas. ;)
Then stop putting them in my head. :D

Bizwah

Reaction score
I like the idea of adding Mike Williams now more than I did a couple of weeks ago.

We had a trio of good receivers: Keyshawn, Glenn, and Bryant. All three are good WRs, but there really wasn't a burner among them. I thought adding another WR like Williams would just double up on our tough/possession type.

But the addition of Morgan changes my views. He can come in any time and stretch the defense, opening up defenses for Williams and Key.

Imagine third and goal from the six........We line up Keyshawn at one WR position, Mike Williams at the other, and Witten lines up at TE.

How tough would it be for defenses to defend three receivers 6-4 and over?

Especially the Philly CBs.....their starters are both 5-10.

Also, if we decide to go with Henson at QB, he'll need all the help he can get. He'll have a good OL (this has improved a great deal this year) and a fine WR corps. This can only help. I believe the combo of a stout OL, a solid running game, and a good WR trio is what's making Ben Rothlisberger successful.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Bizwah said:
I believe the combo of a stout OL, a solid running game, and a good WR trio is what's making Ben Rothlisberger successful.

And the threat of a running game. At this point the Cowboys dont have that. If Parcells would stop being so stubborn about Lee. That may be a different story.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
And the threat of a running game. At this point the Cowboys dont have that. If Parcells would stop being so stubborn about Lee. That may be a different story.
Dang, a Skins fan agrees with most of us about Lee. I guess it's not just the color of the glasses.