Twitter: Chiefs trade their 1st and more for Ravens T Orlando Brown

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That's only two years of data. Ozzie's era is still being carried on. I'm not sure what has been so flawed for the past 2 years with regards to their front office.

They picked up Campbell and Ngakoue for peanuts. Got good value when they traded away Hayden Hurst. They again were one of the top teams in defense (2nd behind LA in points allowed per game). They made the playoffs again and beat a good Tennessee team and then couldn't score against Buffalo (but had a very good defensive effort). Or are you talking more recent. Like in the past few minutes?

They spent a 1st rounder on Hayden Hurst and got a 4th rounder in return...how is that good value?
The worst receiving group in the NFL to the point Dez Bryant came off the street and got there.

I didn't say they were ran poorly. I said they are flawed just like the Cowboys are. What the Cowboys do at Safety and DT is equivalent to what the Ravens do at wide receiver and running back. But ok.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
They spent a 1st rounder on Hayden Hurst and got a 4th rounder in return...how is that good value?
The worst receiving group in the NFL to the point Dez Bryant came off the street and got there.

I didn't say they were ran poorly. I said they are flawed just like the Cowboys are. What the Cowboys do at Safety and DT is equivalent to what the Ravens do at wide receiver and running back. But ok.

Will give you that we don't put any emphasis on the DT & S positions like the Ravens for RB & WR BUT ours lack of sticks out like a sore thumb compared to there's. Heard on this board you don't need to spend a first round pick on RB (where is aria at). LOL

Turk

Reaction score
And his contract ends when? He is a veteran. An aging young veteran that will not be in control after this season. Hence he becomes more expendable.
25 is aging?

Wow you just cannot admit you screwed the pooch can you?

Adreme

Reaction score
Yeah Stanley is their LT......maybe with Lamar you don't need a highly paid offensive line but man.....I keep Orlando Brown....

Its a problem of riches for them. They just signed their all pro LT and all pro CB and are going to have to sign their all pro TE and MVP QB so being a pro bowl players is not enough for them to pay top dollar for. They also just paid decent for an above average G in FA. So basically either you are all pro and get paid like it or you are just a pro bowl player and they trade/let you walk and collect picks to get more of those guys. That is their teams formula for success.

Adreme

Reaction score
They are in a terrible spot in the draft though who wants to trade up to get the 31st overall pick and whatever other pick they have? I guess it depends if someone falls you just never know but man.

I mean the 31st pick is nice because those end of the 1st round picks are valuable. If I am the Jags I would trade a little over value to move up 2-3 picks just to have that 5th year option. Even though its not as valuable after the changes as it used to be it is still another year of control under the current contract system.

Adreme

Reaction score

No they spent a first rounder on Hurst and got a 2nd rounder in return after using him for 2 years. That 2018 draft got them 3 pro Bowlers, 2 of whom were all pro and one of whom won an MVP plus another starter at Safety and a good backup corner who the Cowboys should look at after this season (always sign former Ravens corners and Steelers WR) and I think their 6th round OLine has started for them a few times (per reports) but I dont keep track of the trenches much for other teams. If you told me you could get that from one draft class you would consider that a home run.

Blitzen

Reaction score
No they spent a first rounder on Hurst and got a 2nd rounder in return after using him for 2 years. That 2018 draft got them 3 pro Bowlers, 2 of whom were all pro and one of whom won an MVP plus another starter at Safety and a good backup corner who the Cowboys should look at after this season (always sign former Ravens corners and Steelers WR) and I think their 6th round OLine has started for them a few times (per reports) but I dont keep track of the trenches much for other teams. If you told me you could get that from one draft class you would consider that a home run.

Please do not attempt to educate him on this. He is just trying to have the last word on it. Let him homer on about how Dallas and Baltimore really have similar front office problems.

The wide receiver group there is not great, but they will likely add to it this draft with one or more quality picks. It will be up to Lamar to nut up at crunch time and complete passes to wide open receivers. They only seem to have trouble scoring come playoffs.

Blitzen

Reaction score
25 is aging?

Wow you just cannot admit you screwed the pooch can you?

True, I could have used a different adjective but my point was that he is coming to the end of his rookie contract and they have to decide whether to get him extended or other players. Which they have a multitude of very good players coming due for big money. They obviously felt best to flip him for as much value as they could before the rookie contract was over due to other circumstances.

Again, my point is valid. They do not always extend even really good players. Because of the limits of the salary cap and what cheap rookie contracts do for the makeup of the squad. They aren't emotional when making these decisions. It's cold hard business. And the Cowboys suck in that area. It's just the facts. Whether or not it's negative.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Its a problem of riches for them. They just signed their all pro LT and all pro CB and are going to have to sign their all pro TE and MVP QB so being a pro bowl players is not enough for them to pay top dollar for. They also just paid decent for an above average G in FA. So basically either you are all pro and get paid like it or you are just a pro bowl player and they trade/let you walk and collect picks to get more of those guys. That is their teams formula for success.
It’s a mess of a recipe IMO. I have no issue trading Brown for a good pick. Chiefs pick sucks. Who at 31 is gonna be as good as he was?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I stand corrected on the compensation but 2nd rounder is still not fair compensation for a guy you spent a 1st rounder on. Hell they drafted him and Andrews in the same year and Andrews got more reps then him. I'm not doubting anything you're saying. My original point is they are flawed just like we are so why would I envy them? I never ONCE said they didn't have some good moves. Its funny though...your proof to why they've been a competent front office the pasta few years is for a 2018 draft that netted them Lamar, Hayden Hurst, Orlando Brown and Mark Andrews.....2 out of the 4 are already gone so now all they have to show for it is a inconsistent Lamar Jackson and Mark Andrews.
Please do not attempt to educate him on this. He is just trying to have the last word on it. Let him homer on about how Dallas and Baltimore really have similar front office problems.

The wide receiver group there is not great, but they will likely add to it this draft with one or more quality picks. It will be up to Lamar to nut up at crunch time and complete passes to wide open receivers. They only seem to have trouble scoring come playoffs.
Comprhension skill sare on -0. I can't engage in a conversation with someone who can't understand simple points. Agree to disagree and move on. No reason to be a overgrown child because someone disagreed with you. The same person who said Orlando Brown, a 25 year old is a "aged veteran" but go ahead and please continue to educate us.....we can only be so lucky.

Adreme

Reaction score
It’s a mess of a recipe IMO. I have no issue trading Brown for a good pick. Chiefs pick sucks. Who at 31 is gonna be as good as he was?

That is not really the option. When you have that many pro-bowl players (I think they had 8 or 9 with almost all on rookie deals) you have to decide you would rather have all pro then pro bowl. So the choice is Brown or a 3rd round comp pick. They are probably going to sign Andre Villanueva for half of Brown's cost without a significant dropoff (old 80-20 rule except probably closer to 90-40 in this case). Now you can double dip on edge rushers to make up for the other pro bowl departures, who will likely become 3rd round comp picks, sure up the front 7 and keep their defense, which is built around their amazing secondary, strong while probably looking for a G in round 3 as you already signed one in FA.

That is a recipe for success and why they are a perennial contender.

Adreme

Reaction score
I stand corrected on the compensation but 2nd rounder is still not fair compensation for a guy you spent a 1st rounder on. Hell they drafted him and Andrews in the same year and Andrews got more reps then him. I'm not doubting anything you're saying. My original point is they are flawed just like we are so why would I envy them? I never ONCE said they didn't have some good moves. Its funny though...your proof to why they've been a competent front office the pasta few years is for a 2018 draft that netted them Lamar, Hayden Hurst, Orlando Brown and Mark Andrews.....2 out of the 4 are already gone so now all they have to show for it is a inconsistent Lamar Jackson and Mark Andrews.

Comprhension skill sare on -0. I can't engage in a conversation with someone who can't understand simple points. Agree to disagree and move on. No reason to be a overgrown child because someone disagreed with you. The same person who said Orlando Brown, a 25 year old is a "aged veteran" but go ahead and please continue to educate us.....we can only be so lucky.

Yes because Andrews turned out to be a top 5 player and their other TE, whose name I am completely forgetting, is apparently considered to be one of the best blocking TEs in football (think I remember PFF having his blocking being around the level of an average RT). So after getting 2 years of the first round pick (meaning you only have 2 cheap years left) you managed to swap that pick for a 2nd. Again a good recipe for success. They took two swings at TE, one was a Home Run and the other was only a double so they traded the double for a 2nd which I believe they used to get their new starting RB (JK Dobbins) who looking at his statline did really well.

Yes I envy having a front office that can trade a 5th round pick to get an all pro corner and also get a 5th round pick for a kicker they had no intention of keeping. That 2018 draft was better than probably any Cowboys draft in the past 5 years (yes I'm including 2016 which was a good draft). They are a elite front office and everyone in the NFL knows it.

Blitzen

Reaction score

Wasn't Brown drafted number 83 in the 3rd round? Lol. Guess I feel just fine about my reading comprehension skills. But keep digging this hole and put the goalposts wherever you like.

You are correct though. It would be child like to converse with you. Gbye

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Wasn't Brown drafted number 83 in the 3rd round? Lol. Guess I feel just fine about my reading comprehension skills. But keep digging this hole and put the goalposts wherever you like.

You are correct though. It would be child like to converse with you. Gbye

Yet, you're still "conversing" with me lol.

DanA

Reaction score
Let’s say the Ravens offer their two 1st to come up to 10 and take Chase....do you take it?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yes because Andrews turned out to be a top 5 player and their other TE, whose name I am completely forgetting, is apparently considered to be one of the best blocking TEs in football (think I remember PFF having his blocking being around the level of an average RT). So after getting 2 years of the first round pick (meaning you only have 2 cheap years left) you managed to swap that pick for a 2nd. Again a good recipe for success. They took two swings at TE, one was a Home Run and the other was only a double so they traded the double for a 2nd which I believe they used to get their new starting RB (JK Dobbins) who looking at his statline did really well.

Yes I envy having a front office that can trade a 5th round pick to get an all pro corner and also get a 5th round pick for a kicker they had no intention of keeping. That 2018 draft was better than probably any Cowboys draft in the past 5 years (yes I'm including 2016 which was a good draft). They are a elite front office and everyone in the NFL knows it.

ONCE AGAIN...I never said they weren't elite when Ozzie was there....for the past few years they've made some suspect moves. You are mentioning moves prior to the 2019 season....its now 2021....