Choice of Rb

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
We all know what we currently have at RB. Things next season may possibly look different. With that, a lot of draft "experts" seem to have us picking one type of running back. They seem to have us picking a RB who is a physical down hill runner, I guess to resemble what we will miss with Zeke.

Seeing Zeke these last few seasons, I'm not sure that's the type of back we need. It's fine if that back is able to break some tackles, but I'm hoping he can get us some nice long runs too!

What are your thoughts on the type of Rb you would want us to get...

pupulehaole

Reaction score
We all know what we currently have at RB. Things next season may possibly look different. With that, a lot of draft "experts" seem to have us picking one type of running back. They seem to have us picking a RB who is a physical down hill runner, I guess to resemble what we will miss with Zeke.

Seeing Zeke these last few seasons, I'm not sure that's the type of back we need. It's fine if that back is able to break some tackles, but I'm hoping he can get us some nice long runs too!

Tony Pollard

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Frankly I like having power backs who can pick up the tough yardage when you need 2 or 3 yards for a 1st down. I like the guy down by the goal line who can hammer it in. I love Pollard but he is not that guy. I think Pollard is a quick RB who is capable of breaking the long gainer but not a guy who will consistently pick up tough yards.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
I would like to see a AJ Dillon or Devonte Williams type, a strong bruising type of back added to this roster, not sold on Dowdle, with 4 5th rounders, that might be a good spot to take one along with a QB

blueblood70

Reaction score
Why would we draft a RB? We have Zeke, Pollard, Dowdle, and Hardy on our roster. None of those guys suck. Zeke's contract is undesirable according to his production, but he doesn't suck. So why draft a RB this year?
that easy, we dont need to keep hardy and dowdle but what we do need is rb1 of the future why not dip our toe inthe pool NOW before its need, get a guy who can play ST and be RB3 but earn more snaps and learn the offense NOW..pollard and zeke both missed games over injury and zeke most likely not here in 23 and why NEED to sign pollard IF RBs are dime dozen as some experts in here claim? might be able to rebuild the entire Backfield over this draft and next one..thats why..

you dont want to come into the 23 draft NEEDING a rb1, start now..3rd or 4th rounder maybe if a steal is there take him.

jnday

Reaction score
Why would we draft a RB? We have Zeke, Pollard, Dowdle, and Hardy on our roster. None of those guys suck. Zeke's contract is undesirable according to his production, but he doesn't suck. So why draft a RB this year?
Why draft a RB this year? Maybe they want to have a RB ready to take over next year. If they wait until next year to draft a RB, it could backfire on them when they can’t draft one. It’s better to be prepared for Zeke and Pollard’s departure.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
that easy, we dont need to keep hardy and dowdle but what we do need is rb1 of the future why not dip our toe inthe pool NOW before its need, get a guy who can play ST and be RB3 but earn more snaps and learn the offense NOW..pollard and zeke both missed games over injury and zeke most likely not here in 23 and why NEED to sign pollard IF RBs are dime dozen as some experts in here claim? might be able to rebuild the entire Backfield over this draft and next one..thats why..

you dont want to come into the 23 draft NEEDING a rb1, start now..3rd or 4th rounder maybe if a steal is there take him.

Because top RB are in every draft and the position will show their worth day 1. It is a position that players show their worth right off the bat because it is instinct, the ability to see daylight and hit the hole quickly. Right now Dallas has 2 RB that are capable, as for injuries yes I wish we could be 3 deep at all position but not going to happen. Meantime we have other areas of this team that are in need of starters and primary backups, that is not the case at RB.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Frankly I like having power backs who can pick up the tough yardage when you need 2 or 3 yards for a 1st down. I like the guy down by the goal line who can hammer it in. I love Pollard but he is not that guy. I think Pollard is a quick RB who is capable of breaking the long gainer but not a guy who will consistently pick up tough yards.

Pollard’s yards after contact is actually pretty good and it’s because he hits the holes hard. Yes hitting those holes like that with his pad level high all the time is going to get him hurt. He’s definitely not the definition of a power back because it’s questionable that he could take that punishment consistently.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Why draft a RB this year? Maybe they want to have a RB ready to take over next year. If they wait until next year to draft a RB, it could backfire on them when they can’t draft one. It’s better to be prepared for Zeke and Pollard’s departure.

RBs departing is a concern but the least of our worries. Only having two viable RBs on our roster killed us last season due to injuries. If anything we should be drafting at least two RBs. We have to have at least three good RBs on gameday regardless of any RB’s contract situation.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Pollard’s yards after contact is actually pretty good and it’s because he hits the holes hard. Yes hitting those holes like that with his pad level high all the time is going to get him hurt. He’s definitely not the definition of a power back because it’s questionable that he could take that punishment consistently.

I'm not saying he can't do it at all, just not consistent. His avg looks great and that is what happens when you break a long run, it is 10 other runs that you got little to nothing and 1 big run that changed the avg per carry. I like Pollard and love this big play ability and would like to see him get more touches be in running or receiving, just not a power back capable of too many carries

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I don't care what he does or how he does it as long as he does it well.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did somebody say Choice at RB?

maxresdefault.jpg

blueblood70

Reaction score
Because top RB are in every draft and the position will show their worth day 1. It is a position that players show their worth right off the bat because it is instinct, the ability to see daylight and hit the hole quickly. Right now Dallas has 2 RB that are capable, as for injuries yes I wish we could be 3 deep at all position but not going to happen. Meantime we have other areas of this team that are in need of starters and primary backups, that is not the case at RB.
disagree rather do it now and guarantee its going to happen mid rounds somewhere heck if cant miss guy is there at 3rd round im taking him..that way hes part of the rotation now in case of injury and ready to step up game 1 2023...sorry that doesn't make much sense to you but i think the jonses know Zekes done after this season and pollard might be as well. Might as well start the process NOW

we will find out over the next 4 days.,.

Havic

Reaction score
Pollard and Zeke should be splitting carries 50/50 and Pollard needs much more involvement in the passing game.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

This is zekes last season.
Pollard is a free agent after next season.
If we can get a decent rb with one of our extra 5th rounders, that would be wise.

ondaedg

Reaction score
I'm not saying he can't do it at all, just not consistent. His avg looks great and that is what happens when you break a long run, it is 10 other runs that you got little to nothing and 1 big run that changed the avg per carry. I like Pollard and love this big play ability and would like to see him get more touches be in running or receiving, just not a power back capable of too many carries

I wish the stats companies would remove the top and bottom 1% of runs so that one long carry or that freakish stuff in the backfield by a blitzing lber doesn’t skew the stats. I agree those long runs can make the overall stats look deceiving.