Chris Canty, DE - Dallas Cowboys

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
BouncingCheese;1488921 said:
I think Canty may be better than spears..people forget Canty was going to be a 1st round pick but he was injury-prone. I think the defensive line is going to be very important to the teams success regardless of how the lb's starting rotation forms up. Those three guys are going to need to create pressure up front, no doubt.

Getting a bottle upside your face does not necessarily make you injury prone.

Reaction score
wayne motley;1489045 said:
I actually think the new penetrating, slanting, one-gap defense will keep CAnty on the bency more than last year. He's a huge, double-butt guy who could hold his spot like Parcells wanted, probably better than Spears, but I don't think he has the athleticism to do what Wade wants.

I think Spears, Hatcher, Ratliff, Bowen, and maybe even Ellis will actually be better in this particular defense than Ferguson or Canty...just my guess...they may be used more in short yardage situations.

I know we are all entitled to our opinions, but are you serious? Have you ever watched Canty beyond the years in the BP's gap 2 scheme. Man, I am telling you, you will see the real Canty this year and you will be eating you words.:rolleyes:

tunahelper

Reaction score
I think Canty shows good penetrating ability. He can knife through gaps and make plays in the backfield vs.the run.

My hope is under Wade 3-4, the slanting of the defensive line should increase his contribution greatly.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
I would like to see it be open competition between Spears and Canty, and hopefully, one of them will push the other enough so that we begin to see more pressure on the QB.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
BlueStar II;1489109 said:
I would like to see it be open competition between Spears and Canty, and hopefully, one of them will push the other enough so that we begin to see more pressure on the QB.

I agree; sometimes people get too high on themselves, and I think Spears has let the fact that he was picked so high get to his head IMO. Hopefully that is the case and he can play at a higher level... He takes plays off.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I think we'll see everyone do better this year as far as getting pressure. It's what we give up for it that worries me. Overall I think we'll see positive results. I hope.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
jobberone;1489171 said:
I think we'll see everyone do better this year as far as getting pressure. It's what we give up for it that worries me. Overall I think we'll see positive results. I hope.

Duh, because we cant get any worse ;)

lspain1

Reaction score
Isn't this the "it's all about the scheme" argument presented again? Many folks here say that if you put Zimmer in charge (no pun intended) of the SD defense it would perform worse than Dallas did. These same folks say that with Wade driving our defense, we are going to be "all world" or close to it. I want to believe that's true....but I'm having a hard time buying it.

Our scheme and our players stank after NO. But I'm not sure any scheme known to man was going to fix the weaknesses exposed by NO. Our pass rush was bad....BUT, we had problems in the secondary that were not caused by the lack of pass rush. IMO, if the personnel don't get any better, a pass rush will not save us. We need a better scheme....but we also need better performances by our players.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Va_BoysFan4 Life;1489071 said:
I know we are all entitled to our opinions, but are you serious? Have you ever watched Canty beyond the years in the BP's gap 2 scheme. Man, I am telling you, you will see the real Canty this year and you will be eating you words.:rolleyes:

What's that supposed to mean? The year's beyond Parcell's scheme? That's the only scheme he's ever played in unless you're going all the way back to his college days at UVA....college highlights aren't going to convince me that he's an athletic guy...I hope you're right, but in the NFL what he did at UVA doesn't mean much, and he doesn't look nearly as athletic or quick as the guys I mentioned, many of whom were playing the same scheme he was the past couple of years.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Canty was a fourth round pick because he was injured, he would have at least been a 2nd round pick if healthy. That speaks volumes about his ability. Everyone considers him a steal.

If you look at SDs defense, their RDE was a plugger named Igor Olshansky 6-6 309. There ain't no way he's a better fit for Wade's defense than Canty. Their reserve DE is Jacques Cesaire 6-2 295, a former undrafted free agent.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
speedkilz88;1489206 said:
Canty was a fourth round pick because he was injured, he would have at least been a 2nd round pick if healthy.
If healthy, Canty would have been a first round pick.

Reaction score
wayne motley;1489195 said:
What's that supposed to mean? The year's beyond Parcell's scheme? That's the only scheme he's ever played in unless you're going all the way back to his college days at UVA....college highlights aren't going to convince me that he's an athletic guy...I hope you're right, but in the NFL what he did at UVA doesn't mean much, and he doesn't look nearly as athletic or quick as the guys I mentioned, many of whom were playing the same scheme he was the past couple of years.

What you saying is true. What I was trying to elude to is his quickness, his pass rushing skils and his strength to handle tackles. But again, looking at what he was asked to do in the BP 2 gap scheme in no wayshow what he is capable of as a pass rushingh end.

speedkilz88;1489195 said:
Canty was a fourth round pick because he was injured, he would have at least been a 2nd round pick if healthy. That speaks volumes about his ability. Everyone considers him a steal.

If you look at SDs defense, their RDE was a plugger named Igor Olshansky 6-6 309. There ain't no way he's a better fit for Wade's defense than Canty. Their reserve DE is Jacques Cesaire 6-2 295, a former undrafted free agent.

Basically, this is what I was trying to explain to Motley. He will really excel in Wade's style of defense.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
He along with Spears have disappointed me. I just hope the change in philosophy will help. I am pretty positive it will help his stats.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
lspain1;1489193 said:
Isn't this the "it's all about the scheme" argument presented again? Many folks here say that if you put Zimmer in charge (no pun intended) of the SD defense it would perform worse than Dallas did. These same folks say that with Wade driving our defense, we are going to be "all world" or close to it. I want to believe that's true....but I'm having a hard time buying it.

Our scheme and our players stank after NO. But I'm not sure any scheme known to man was going to fix the weaknesses exposed by NO. Our pass rush was bad....BUT, we had problems in the secondary that were not caused by the lack of pass rush. IMO, if the personnel don't get any better, a pass rush will not save us. We need a better scheme....but we also need better performances by our players.

Exactly. But tell that to the popcorn vendors here. :D