Chris Carter says Dallas should trade Romo for JJ Watt

Verdict

Reaction score
Probably some fan making up a what if scenario that somehow morphs into a rumor of a trade in the works. I seriously doubt the Texans would make that a straight up trade.

And yes someone will make the argument that their Defense was OK without Watt. That would still not be a fair straight up trade... It would require the Cowboys giving up Romo a first rounder and probably more.

But like I said... This is probably nothing more than a what if scenario that someone has morphed into a trade rumor.

You are way over valuing J J Watt and undervaluing Tiny Romo.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Tony Romo to the Texans makes them a legit super bowl contender and probably even with Pittsburgh in being just behind New England.

It really seems like a no-brainer for the texans to go after him.

Inwould be ecstatic if we could get back Watt

Cmac

Reaction score
Let's see......one bad old back for one bad younger back......don't do it Jerry....don't do it.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Tony Romo to the Texans makes them a legit super bowl contender and probably even with Pittsburgh in being just behind New England.

It really seems like a no-brainer for the texans to go after him.

Inwould be ecstatic if we could get back Watt

I'd be beyond ecstatic if we could get Watt but that's more wishful thinking than reality.

The Texans have spent far too much to secure Osweiler. They're done w/trading, imo.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I believe Watt has had more surgeries than Romo,i think we made the right call with Tyron and Watt in the end.

egn22

Reaction score
They can get Romo from us while keeping Watt. Why would they entertain anything other than that

lukin2006

Reaction score
Chris Carter doesn't know much about the FO side of things if he thinks Houston would make that trade...the absolute most I see getting for Romo is a 3rd, even then, that's iffy. Romo will be 37, 3 of the last 5 games he's played, he left with a long-term injury, he's barely played any football the last 2 seasons...getting a 3rd would be pushing it.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
You are way over valuing J J Watt and undervaluing Tiny Romo.

????

JJ Watt is already one of the greatest defensive players in the history of the NFL, he's only 27, and he's under contract for another 5 years.

Any Cowboy fan who thinks there's a shred of possibility of this happening is way overvaluing Romo, and dramatically undervaluing Watt.

I love Romo, but the reality is the best we can hope to do with him is a conditional pick.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
This would be an absolute steal if Dallas could do this. Of course, we all know it's not going to happen. Do we know for sure Romo's contract has a veto clause? If so, Romo more than likely will be released.

Verdict

Reaction score
Watts back begs to differ with you. This isn't the same JJ Watt as Houston had a few years ago. He is damaged goods just like everyone says Romo is. Romo doesn't exert his back on every play like Watt does. Man you guys skim over the surface of things and don't really think things through.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Houston would be going all in for the next 2-3 years. You don't trade the best defensive player of the decade if your goal is to push all your chips in. They would be much more likely to trade a high pick(s). If they were to trade Watt for Romo and a 1st, that would worry me that they know something about his back that we don't.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I haven't scanned ten pages, but has anyone noted Houston would have $20 million in dead money against the cap if they trade Watt? Watt's injury issues aside, that's a bitter pill to swallow for a soon to be 37 year old QB who has had his own back issues.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watts back begs to differ with you. This isn't the same JJ Watt as Houston had a few years ago. He is damaged goods just like everyone says Romo is. Romo doesn't exert his back on every play like Watt does. Man you guys skim over the surface of things and don't really think things through.

I agree with you on this one. Watt was an amazing player, when he was healthy. He's not healthy, and he's got an injury that suggests his issues will be chronic from here on out.

Tony's prospects for playing in the league longer might be better, despite his age. And, when healthy, Tony was almost as good a player at his more important position than Watt was at his.

The real question teams will be asking is how to compare Tony's trade value to the likelihood they could get him for free on the open market in a few months. There will be 5-6 teams with interest in him. 2-3 will be contenders. One of them will likely flip a conditional pick (I'm thinking a conditional 2) for the chance to lock him up before he hits the market. That's a small price to pay for a shot at a high level QB on what's not a reasonable contract for 2-3 years. Better return than the Vikes will get for Sam Bradford, for example.

For the Texans, I guess the question comes down to how much value do they still put in an injured JJ Watt (keeping his const in mind)? Is he worth more to them than that conditional 2? Very likely. It's an interesting question, though, because they're a contending team with doubles at DL and a hole at QB. Where we're a contending team with doubles at QB and a hole at DL. On paper, the trade actually makes a lot of sense if the contracts can be made to work.

That said, I'd rather flip Tony to the team he wants to go do for a pick in this upcoming draft, and continue to build the team the way we've built every other position group up. I'm sick of counting on players like Mo and Lawrence and Gregory and R. McClain in recent seasons who are good players when you can get them on the field but who miss games on you out of nowhere because of recurring injury or personal problems they can't get on top of. I'd rather spend two of the top three picks on the front 7 and rely on the coaches to get the team better that way.

I also want a legit speed WR to replace Butler, but that's a story for another thread.