Chris Simms - Why haven't Dallas Cowboys locked up Dak Prescott?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
How low and desperate we have become as now the tag status is what you're clinging to......
It’s just a leverage play, Dak knows starting qbs don’t grow on trees, and Jerry and family know the real value of term, it’s as important as real talent.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Nearly all want Dak back, it's the terms of the deal that is the hold up. It's a proven fact you cannot allocate to much % of your cap to one player and win. Ask Brady and Jordan, champions who got it and made more money in the long run because of it.

Swagger

Reaction score
between last years talent boasting in the summer and this years if they do not win something then we know who they think the weak link is since he did not get an extension.

roughly a year ago this week Jerry said this was the most talented Cowboys team since the super bowl team in 95.....The local media all agreed and clutched their pearls over how talented they were.

They are doing it again this week.

It's similar to soccer/football when the outfield players are very strong but the goalkeeper is a weak link and as a result the team is unable to win trophies until a quality goalkeeper is brought in. Liverpool an obvious example in recent years. Dak Prescott is effectively Loris Karius.

Our roster has largely been loaded the past four seasons and it is next season. If we fail to at least reach the NFC Championship game with this roster this season then it will have been the most disappointing season for over twenty years given how much quality is on the roster.

NFC Championship game is the bare minimum.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
This really is funny. All the blame on the Jones family when it takes two to tango. From every report Dallas has offered Dak market level deals the last two years and he has turned then down. He has already lost a ton of money by not doing a deal. He is fighting for top 2 money when he is a top 10 talent. Dallas is a team that is always bumping against the salary cap and has never shied away from giving big contracts. At the time deals were done Dez, Martin, Frederick, Zeke, Cooper, Tyron, Tank, Jaylon, Lee, and everyone's favorite Crawford all got deals at the top of their position scale. So all of a sudden Dallas doesn't want to pay? It's a ridiculous narrative based on history, both recent and not so recent.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s just a leverage play, Dak knows starting qbs don’t grow on trees, and Jerry and family know the real value of term, it’s as important as real talent.
Yes, it's going to hard to find a QB to go 8-8 and have 1 playoff win in 4 seasons....:banghead:

CowboysRule

Reaction score
I would have turned it down as well since the Rams offered Goff the same $110 million guaranteed BUT ON A 4 YEAR CONTRACT.

Talk about a slap in the face to Dak.

Btw...Dak > Goff & Wince
And wasn't every one saying how terrible of a contract that was? You can't pay someone just because another team gave their QB a horrible contract. It was the same thing with Gurley. Notice he's not on the team anymore.

Dak was offered a fair contract. His agent turned it down. Notice how he's not with CAA anymore?

These media people are talking how there are only two choices. Give into Dak's contract demands or pay him more for a 2nd contract. That's not it. You tag him again, non-exclusively, and trade him. I don't want a guy who wants to hurt the rest of the team just so he can get some massive contract he isn't worth. DAK DOES NOT ELEVATE THE PLAYERS AROUND HIM. Look back to the start of the previous season before we had Amari Cooper and look at Dak's all-world play. He needs players around him to make him better. If you give him ~$40mm a year you aren't going to be able to put and keep those pieces around him. Facts are facts and we finished 8-8 last year with a team most projected to go deep into the play-offs. Dak lead us to a seat on the couch, watching everyone else.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They’re waiting on the teams success to validate over paying an average QB. Lol

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
And wasn't every one saying how terrible of a contract that was? You can't pay someone just because another team gave their QB a horrible contract. It was the same thing with Gurley. Notice he's not on the team anymore.

Dak was offered a fair contract. His agent turned it down. Notice how he's not with CAA anymore?

These media people are talking how there are only two choices. Give into Dak's contract demands or pay him more for a 2nd contract. That's not it. You tag him again, non-exclusively, and trade him. I don't want a guy who wants to hurt the rest of the team just so he can get some massive contract he isn't worth. DAK DOES NOT ELEVATE THE PLAYERS AROUND HIM. Look back to the start of the previous season before we had Amari Cooper and look at Dak's all-world play. He needs players around him to make him better. If you give him ~$40mm a year you aren't going to be able to put and keep those pieces around him. Facts are facts and we finished 8-8 last year with a team most projected to go deep into the play-offs. Dak lead us to a seat on the couch, watching everyone else.
Who are you kidding about how Dak doesn't elevate the team and those around him? What a bunch of hogwash. Dak checks up as Top 5 in just about every QB statistic in 2019. Truly sick of the lies being spewed here by so called Cowboys fans. Also, do not pay him? Really? Y'all didn't complain about Romo getting paid top money not once but twice during his 11 years as a starter. Oh, but since it is Dak, oh noooo, don't pay him the big bucks, huh? Bunch of hypocrites. Dak most definitely deserves big bucks, and he certainly makes his teammates better. Had his WRs and RBs not led the league in dropped passes last year, plus also had the worst kicker (missed FGs) last year, along with the 3rd worst tackling Defense and worst Special Teams, this team easily would have won anywhere between 10 - 12 games at a minimum, won the NFC East, made the playoffs and made some noise once there. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Who are you kidding about how Dak doesn't elevate the team and those around him? What a bunch of hogwash. Dak checks up as Top 5 in just about every QB statistic in 2019. Truly sick of the lies being spewed here by so called Cowboys fans. Also, do not pay him? Really? Y'all didn't complain about Romo getting paid top money not once but twice during his 11 years as a starter. Oh, but since it is Dak, oh noooo, don't pay him the big bucks, huh? Bunch of hypocrites. Dak most definitely deserves big bucks, and he certainly makes his teammates better. Had his WRs and RBs not led the league in dropped passes last year, plus also had the worst kicker (missed FGs) last year, along with the 3rd worst tackling Defense and worst Special Teams, this team easily would have won anywhere between 10 - 12 games at a minimum, won the NFC East, made the playoffs and made some noise once there. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.
You showed no examples of Dak elevating those around him, just dismissed it as a lie. I had no issues with Romo being paid because this team showed several times that without Romo we were absolute garbage. Romo made his WR's better. Laurent Robinson, Miles Austin, hell even Dez Bryant weren't good without Romo playing QB. So where is this money going to come from to get this better defense if most of your cap is tied up in Dak? He has shown he has a tendency to hold the ball too long so you can't skimp on the offensive line. You can't get cheaper WR's because Dak has shown he flounders without top talent there. We already have a high-priced RB so that conversation is moot. Dak has to be surrounded by top talent so the more you pay him the more you have to pull from the defense so you can keep investing in the offense to keep Dak afloat.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That was the previous QB. Told you he would never lead the team to any kind of championship game whether a playoff conference title game or super bowl.
Yea, like all of the Trolls did.

You forget I was a critic of Schlomo too. Always thought we needed more. Just like I do now.

The team success looks very similar to me.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak needs a defense just like Romo did.

We got close with both breaking thru. A greater Qb would help if we don’t have a defense. Can’t win more without one of them.

With rare exception is anyone winning championships without a great qb and or defense.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You showed no examples of Dak elevating those around him, just dismissed it as a lie. I had no issues with Romo being paid because this team showed several times that without Romo we were absolute garbage. Romo made his WR's better. Laurent Robinson, Miles Austin, hell even Dez Bryant weren't good without Romo playing QB. So where is this money going to come from to get this better defense if most of your cap is tied up in Dak? He has shown he has a tendency to hold the ball too long so you can't skimp on the offensive line. You can't get cheaper WR's because Dak has shown he flounders without top talent there. We already have a high-priced RB so that conversation is moot. Dak has to be surrounded by top talent so the more you pay him the more you have to pull from the defense so you can keep investing in the offense to keep Dak afloat.
You ought to do some research before you post...period. Dez averaged his highest career yards/catch (15.9) average by far in 2016 catching balls with a gimpy foot that still hadn't healed from a broken foot suffered in 2015. All of that career high catch average happened in 2016 behind a redshirt rookie QB. Amari Cooper hadn't had a productive season in several years until he came to Dallas halfway through the 2018 season and caught passes from a 2.5 season veteran in Dak. This same Amari Cooper had his best statistical season last year in 2019 catching balls from Dak...all while Amari played all season long with plantar fasciitis which he initially started suffering from in preseason. At the same time, 2nd year WR, Michael Gallup, had his best season as of yet as a WR, and both he and Amari easily caught for over 1,000 yards each, with Randall Cobb coming 170 yards short of becoming the 3rd WR in the same year (2019) to also catch for 1,000 yards, which would have been a franchise record where 3 WRs all caught 1,000 yards each in the same season. The same season where they led the league in drops with Dak coming up 1 yard shy of tying Tony Romo's franchise passing season record, 2 yards of breaking it and less than 100 passing yards from being the first Cowboys QB to ever pass for 5,000 yards in one season, all of this with his WRs leading the league in drops and Dak being held back from passing in the 4th quarter of their last game of the season even though the Cowboys had a 3 score lead.

So don't tell me Dak doesn't make his WRs better, when it's crystal clear that he does. He makes his receivers so much better that he was within 2 passing yards of breaking the Cowboys single season franchise passing record, 98 yards shy of being the first Cowboys QB to pass for 5,000 yards and the first Cowboys QB barely to miss leading 3 WRs to 1,000 yards catching each in the same season. All of this with a group of receivers that also led the league in dropped passes.

Enough with the bull, disrespect and lies already.

Flamma

Reaction score
Cap is projected to go down by a chunk next year. Why do they assume Dak will get paid more?

I see market prices going down in a year of declining cap that squeezes free agency contracts.

Cowboys could tag Dak, and go to the draft looking for a QB. Find one, rescind the offer, and have a monster of a team and a low cost QB. Hit on the QB, and it's contender status for his rookie contract.

Might even get a quality veteran QB on the cheap while drafting young guys.

In a declining market, with the Cowboys *decreasing* their offer, does Dak take it, or prefer to move on out of pride?

Me, I would be seeing if I could trade Dak now, and move on this year with Dalton and a lot more cap room next year in a collapsing cap market.

You can't tag him with the expectation to draft a rookie and rescind. Why you ask? Because if he signs the tag you can't rescind.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Assuming the Cowboys organization are sold or All In with Dak they missed their best opportunity to get him signed for less than it’s going to cost them moving forward . And they were bashed by the media and local beat writers for not getting a deal done.

They’re trying to present a perception they offered a fair deal standing firm which many fans support as they are waiting for more team success to validate paying him among the Elite QB’s in the league.

Many fans feel the same way. They agree not paying him that type of money unless we win or at least play for a championship which is totally ridiculous.

Basically they aren’t able to evaluate their QB without team success. We’d had enough time to either make that leap of faith or move on. Ironically by waiting it’s only going to cost more as the market will continue rising.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
Florio aint lying. Jerry and stephen cant negotiate to save their life. Really blaming covid after we seen money thrown around this offseason like its a strip club.

Can't argue this. No way can you wait for your quarterbacks rookie deal to expire. Not if you truly expect him to be with the team long term. I know I know, Dak didn't want one I keep hearing. But a GM has to push for this. Waiting is just bad for the team/ cap.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Can't argue this. No way can you wait for your quarterbacks rookie deal to expire. Not if you truly expect him to be with the team long term. I know I know, Dak didn't want one I keep hearing. But a GM has to push for this. Waiting is just bad for the team/ cap.
Yep

They needed to make Dak a deal he couldn’t refuse. Now Dak can play out his Tag and move on.

Cowboys totally mismanaged Dak unless they’re aren’t sold on him which until this deal fell thru they certainly haven’t presented a perception they were anything but All In.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Am I the only one that doesn't think this is going to cost the Cowboys because of the pandemic? I think Dak's agent is doing him a disservice holding out like this is a normal economy.

So they already agreed on the same cap numbers next year, but if this pandemic is still going (which there's a good chance it might), no way in hell are teams going to keep giving out the same contracts when they can't fill the stadiums a second year, and the country is in a recession.

Jerry is talking about small capacity numbers in a stadium that is already one of the biggest in the world. Those teams with small stadiums that can't even figure out how to open yet aren't going to bring any ticket revenue into the league.

And wait until that first knucklehead young player goes out and hits a strip club, brings back the virus to his locker room, and we start seeing the delays. There's so many more players and staff involved in the NFL than other sports.

If I'm in any position that is considered an entertainment luxury, I'm taking what I can get right now. History has shown these pandemics take years to go away. Medical science is much more advanced these days, but are you willing to gamble extra tens of millions in your contract on it?

Flamma

Reaction score
Yep

They needed to make Dak a deal he couldn’t refuse. Now Dak can play out his Tag and move on.

Cowboys totally mismanaged Dak unless they’re aren’t sold on him which until this deal fell thru they certainly haven’t presented a perception they were anything but All In.

Everything points to they weren't sold. They paid just about everyone else. Don't always go by what they say outwardly. They're never going to say he's not getting a contract because they're not sold.