News: Chuck Howley inducted to the Hall of Fame

Diehardblues

Reaction score
IMO they are inducting too many each year now. What 8? They didn’t used to have a mandate how many go in.

The fact everyone doesn’t get in is what makes it such a special fraternity.

103 years and less than 400 inducted . That’s an elite group.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes, but this is what’s so awesome about the HOF. It’s never too late or over to be finally inducted . The NFL can always amend these oversight decisions at some point.

Many are inducted posthumously like Don Coryell. It’s still a tremendous honor for their family and immortalizes them forever.

Chuck and all those close to him along with former players and most fans knew he was a HOF. This validation is merely academic and well deserved . It just another confirmation of the greatness of that Cowboys era.

So many HOFamers , not to mention the HC, GM and VP Personnel along with several HOF we acquired past their prime who didn’t go in as Cowboys.

20 consecutive wining seasons , 13 championship games in 17 seasons and 5 Super Bowls in a decade. It was Cowboys heaven.
Amen, big bro!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I went thru Canton in summer of 1971 with my family on a vacation to Toronto. Great trip . We stopped at many great sites . NFL HOF has just been built in the 60’s. There was no Cowboys there.

My Dad knew some of the players in there and for me it was more about the history of the league and few names I’d seen talked about. I was just a teenager. All I have is a banner from it as a souvenir .

It’s been expanded so much since then. Several buildings . I had planned to go in 2020 for Jimmy and Cliff and then Covid hit. I hope to return again someday. I want to see that part of the country again.

bigE79

Reaction score
E, I guess we can go ahead and title this the "old guys thread"...
I well remember Larry Cole. Excellent player, drove Landry crazy. So loose and laid back. Cole is responsible for what's arguably the funniest comment ever made by an NFL player. You remember, I'll bet.
We're not old,just well versed..and "Anyone can have an off decade"...lmao...I remember it well.

MS17

Reaction score
We're not old,just well versed..and "Anyone can have an off decade"...lmao...I remember it well.
Years ago I heard Pat Summerall mention it (during one of his and Brookshier's game broadcasts). He was in the locker room when Cole said it.
This is dry, dry humor; doesn't get funnier than that. Yes, we're "well versed" to discuss these things.

bigE79

Reaction score
Years ago I heard Pat Summerall mention it (during one of his and Brookshier's game broadcasts). He was in the locker room when Cole said it.
This is dry, dry humor; doesn't get funnier than that. Yes, we're "well versed" to discuss these things.
Staubach's answer to Phyllis George about sex is a classic also.

MS17

Reaction score
Staubach's answer to Phyllis George about sex is a classic also.
Yes, it is.
Or Don Meredith's line during a slow MNF game, "Tom Landry's a perfectionist. If he was married to Raquel Welch, he would expect her to cook."
(Could anybody get away with that now?)

CooterBrown

Reaction score
I’m trying to think of any recent SB qb who were benched the following season ?
The next season Landry tried something new: he tried rotating quarterbacks on every play. That didn’t work very well. So he went with Staubach. They won the Super Bowl. Morton got a ring from the bench and was traded after that season. I didn’t even have to look that up. I remember it.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
IMO they are inducting too many each year now. What 8? They didn’t used to have a mandate how many go in.

The fact everyone doesn’t get in is what makes it such a special fraternity.

103 years and less than 400 inducted . That’s an elite group.
Just glad Chuck got in.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The next season Landry tried something new: he tried rotating quarterbacks on every play. That didn’t work very well. So he went with Staubach. They won the Super Bowl. Morton got a ring from the bench and was traded after that season. I didn’t even have to look that up. I remember it.
Perhaps you should have looked it up . Craig wasn’t traded the following year.

He actually started in 1972 after Roger was hurt. And Dallas traded Morton in 1974 to NY receiving a 1st and 2nd round pick . The 1st round pick they selected in 1975 was Randy White.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Howley has dementia now. This is the video when Roger gave him the news.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The game was an offensive nightmare. Neither QB passed for 150 yards, and Craig Morton threw 3 picks - all in the 4th quarter. I was done with him after that game.

Chuck Howley picked off two passes - one was in the end zone in the 4th quarter with Dallas up 13-6. Morton made sure Howley's effort was wasted in the end. :rolleyes:
I think landry has to take some of the blame for that SB loss, he was the OC and playcaller. He decided who played and the game plan too.
Landry was a consistent HC, but the only 2 SB's he won were the 2 years he had a great defense that totally shut down the other teams offense.
Miami only scored 3 points in 1st SB win, so almost impossible to lose game like that.
Then the denver SB , I felt sorry for morton in that game as the defense just dominated Denver off.

I also remember the detroit playoff game Dallas won 5-2 or 5-3 , so the dallas offense was really bad but they still won
due to the defense.
The Baltimore SB defense held colts to 16, but landrys offense could only manage 13 points. Similar to kellen in SF game ????

Plankton

Reaction score
Great news for a very deserving and somehow overlooked player in Howley. It really is a shame that his cognitive issues will not allow him to truly enjoy this moment that he should have received long ago.

As for Woodson, I have posted this before, but I do not believe that he will ever get into the HOF. The main reason is that he was left off of the 1990s All Decade Team (which is voted on by the same committee that votes for the HOF). Woodson should have been on that team, but they voted in a completely washed up Ronnie Lott, who was brutal with the Raiders and Jets, and didn't play after the 1994 season.