News: Chuck Howley inducted to the Hall of Fame

gtb1943

Reaction score
Has he even ever been nominated?
Sadly I doubt even the senior committee will ever nominate him. Probably if it happens, maybe in 20 years or so.
Very sad.

Woody's problem is that there were so many higher profile safeties playing at the same time; very few even close to his ability but they got a lot of notice and he did not.

Part of the problem was his versatility; to all too many he got the tag of jack of all trades master of none which was BS but it is what it is.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Chuck finally getting it when he is too far gone to appreciate it makes me so angry.

Like with Bob Hayes, getting in after he was dead.

No matter what anyone claims, it is clear there is a anti Cowboy bias amongst the POS's doing the voting. DeWare not getting in his first year is just more proof of that. Every single player who had close to that many sacks got in their first year but not him. Tells the tale.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Morton’s arm that year was basically just hanging by a thread.
What was his excuse for every other playoff game he was in? His play regressed quite a bit each year once he hit the playoffs.

cowboysfan99

Reaction score
Finally. I’ve been upset he’s not in for years now and he retired before I was born. Harvey Martin is the other Cowboy that should be in.

bigE79

Reaction score
We are, E. But fortunately for us, we got to see some Cowboys legends play actual games (too many names to list). Seeing Jim Brown there last night was a thrill; the greatest.
Exactly..we got to see some of the best of the best..we are the original cowboy fans, which makes the last 30yrs so depressing.

bigE79

Reaction score
A lot of the younger fans never got to see another great Cowboy defender--Too Tall Jones. It's hard to accept, but he's not in the NFL Hall of fame.
I mentioned Harvey because he was on the all decade team,too tall was awesome also.

plasticman

Reaction score
There was a very strong argument for Chuck Howley winning SB MVP back to back.

He got the award for Super Bowl 5. However, in Super Bowl 6, he recovered the only fumble that Larry Csonka made that season and he returned an INT 41 yars to teh red zone in teh 4th quarter to ice the game..

After the Cowboys punter, Ton Widby, shanked the ball in the 1st quarter, the Dolphins had excellent field position and moved into Cowboys territory. if Howley didn't recover that fumble then it could have been an entirely different game.

In the 4th quarter, behind 17-3, the Dolphins began moving the ball again. This time Howley intercepted a pass and ran all the way to the Dolphins 9 yard line. From there Staubach hit Mike Ditka for the final nail in the coffin. That INT and return was a 14 point swing play.

They didn't consider Howley because he had won it the prior year. Remember, the SB was in it's infancy, appearances mattered. This is also why they didn't consider Duane Thomas. They were terrified of what Thomas might say, especially since he was hanging out with Jim Brown. He had given the press the silent treatment the whole season with some rare exceptions.

So they gave it to our quarterback, Roger Staubach.....no argument there.

MS17

Reaction score
I mentioned Harvey because he was on the all decade team,too tall was awesome also.
Yep...it's hard to imagine that Randy White, Harvey, Too Tall and Jethro Pugh was the defensive line during that period. A guy named Chuck Howley lined up behind them.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
A long-time grave disservice has finally been rectified.
Before my time but of course I know of all the legends. I never realized he was 6’3”. Big boy for his era.

Glad to see him in. I know how many old school fans thought this was bull#@!% he was never voted in.

Woodson will get in. Squeezed out from all the talent he played with and Atwater and Butler being in same votes.

Cliff Harris finally got in, so Woody will too.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
It makes no sense that Ronde is in over Woodson.

Probably one of those things where they felt they let too many Cowboys in

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Congrats Chuck Howley!!

They don't make line backers like that any more. The NFL was fun back then, but not safe. 7th round pick no less.

bigE79

Reaction score
Yep...it's hard to imagine that Randy White, Harvey, Too Tall and Jethro Pugh was the defensive line during that period. A guy named Chuck Howley lined up behind them.
Larry Cole also,he was a great run stopper,I'll never forget that red skin game,when he stopped riggins on 4th and 1 in the backfield,to give Rodger a chance for 1 last comeback,which he did,of course.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Congratulations, Chuck Howley!

Long overdue.

It's sad how it's gotten to this point when one's age and health does not allow them to fully grasp and enjoy finally being enshrined into the NFL Hall Of Fame.
Yes, but this is what’s so awesome about the HOF. It’s never too late or over to be finally inducted . The NFL can always amend these oversight decisions at some point.

Many are inducted posthumously like Don Coryell. It’s still a tremendous honor for their family and immortalizes them forever.

Chuck and all those close to him along with former players and most fans knew he was a HOF. This validation is merely academic and well deserved . It just another confirmation of the greatness of that Cowboys era.

So many HOFamers , not to mention the HC, GM and VP Personnel along with several HOF we acquired past their prime who didn’t go in as Cowboys.

20 consecutive wining seasons , 13 championship games in 17 seasons and 5 Super Bowls in a decade. It was Cowboys heaven.

MS17

Reaction score
Larry Cole also,he was a great run stopper,I'll never forget that red skin game,when he stopped riggins on 4th and 1 in the backfield,to give Rodger a chance for 1 last comeback,which he did,of course.
E, I guess we can go ahead and title this the "old guys thread"...
I well remember Larry Cole. Excellent player, drove Landry crazy. So loose and laid back. Cole is responsible for what's arguably the funniest comment ever made by an NFL player. You remember, I'll bet.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
E, I guess we can go ahead and call this the "old guys thread"...
I well remember Larry Cole. Excellent player, drove Landry crazy. was so loose and laid back. Cole is responsible for what's arguably the funniest comment ever made by an NFL player. You remember, I'll bet.
Larry Cole used to eat at a restaurant I worked at in high school. He liked his Prime Rib medium rare.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You know it’s ironic how so many think the Cowboys have been slanted by the HOF but I think in recent years we’ve done fairly well with Drew and now Chuck finally getting in . And Jimmy. Gil a few years ago.

There’s always going to be some left out . That’s what makes it such an Elite fraternity.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The bad thing was Morton was playing with a brace on his throwing hand thumb, while a healthy Roger Staubach sat on the bench. Landry corrected his error the next season
I’m trying to think of any recent SB qb who were benched the following season ?