Signed by Cowboys CJ Goodwin and Jake McQuaide back to the 53

csirl

Reaction score
Maybe we dont need a kicker on the active roster because we'll be punting on every offensive series.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Before I saw that both QBs (Rush and Grier) were put on the practice squad, I thought Goodwin would end up there and be called up the first three games. I actually like this better because Rush and Grier can both be called up for total of six games, which makes it twice as long before we have to add a QB to the 53. Of course, I would have rather DiNucci been one of the QBs on the practice squad.
I would not at all rule this out later in year. While we've all done the 6 week math now you really could include DiNucci and get to 9 weeks. If he is available in 6 weeks it'll be interesting if they bring him in then elevate him.
All these guys know the offense and could make it through whatever was left of a game they entered.

mperfection

Reaction score
Goodwin was released and then signed to the PS. As of 9.1.22, he is no longer listed with the team. What happened??

Majic

Reaction score
Makes sense. You are limited in the number of times you can call a player up from PS then return him ( to 3 I think). These 2 will stay on active roster I imagine all season.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I would not at all rule this out later in year. While we've all done the 6 week math now you really could include DiNucci and get to 9 weeks. If he is available in 6 weeks it'll be interesting if they bring him in then elevate him.
All these guys know the offense and could make it through whatever was left of a game they entered.

It would make sense to me. The backup QB is the least likely guy to play unless there is an injury or it's a blowout. Unless you have one who is clearly good enough that you have to keep him on the 53 in order to not lose him, there's really no reason not to cycle through them on the PS and keep players on the 53 that are a) likely to contribute at least on special teams and b) possibly could be claimed if you waived them.

Seems like we took a chance by releasing all three of the backups that we could get two of them on the PS even if one got claimed. Because all three cleared, we took the two we believed were most "game-ready" now.

McCarthy named Rush the No. 2, though, so my theory may be off about that and they may elevate him to the 53 as soon as a spot opens. Of course, they would need to elevate Maher first since they can only use him three games off the PS while with the two QBs they have six games total.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It would make sense to me. The backup QB is the least likely guy to play unless there is an injury or it's a blowout. Unless you have one who is clearly good enough that you have to keep him on the 53 in order to not lose him, there's really no reason not to cycle through them on the PS and keep players on the 53 that are a) likely to contribute at least on special teams and b) possibly could be claimed if you waived them.

Seems like we took a chance by releasing all three of the backups that we could get two of them on the PS even if one got claimed. Because all three cleared, we took the two we believed were most "game-ready" now.

McCarthy named Rush the No. 2, though, so my theory may be off about that and they may elevate him to the 53 as soon as a spot opens. Of course, they would need to elevate Maher first since they can only use him three games off the PS while with the two QBs they have six games total.
Realistically, guys can participate in meetings and practice all week as a PS guy so not missing much of anything so long as you have at least 1 guy elevated on game day for emergency case.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Watch us do this and in March, Goodell decides we circumvented the "spirit" of the rules and takes a draft pick ;)

blueblood70

Reaction score
For sure. Just interesting that the chose CJ over Rush or Maher. Guess they will be one of the four protected players?
more moves will be made, this is in flux each week moves up and down depending on needs. tat all it is..they wil have set kicker and BU QB once they release game 1s actives leading up to that week. so then they have top ,make more moves someone, off the pS then moved from 53 to PS..so on and so forth

John813

Reaction score
Zoners complain about everything.

I think you quoted me by accident.

more moves will be made, this is in flux each week moves up and down depending on needs. tat all it is..they wil have set kicker and BU QB once they release game 1s actives leading up to that week. so then they have top ,make more moves someone, off the pS then moved from 53 to PS..so on and so forth

For sure. Just found it interesting they wanted to secure Goodwin over their kicker and/or backup QB. Now, I don't think Rush or Maher were likely to be PS claims by another teams 53 but just interesting that they would leave that chance open.